Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why are we so calm?

Have they forgotten about us? A quick check to see just how long ago Luzon was sacked has told me we've had an 'interim head coach' for a MONTH AND A HALF now. The interim head coach we decided to acquire from a third division Belgian side. This is truly disgusting and unacceptable behaviour by an owner of ANY business, let alone a football club.

Where is the spirit of those charlton fans that took us back to the Valley? Has it died along with our hope?

'let fury have the hour, anger can be power/ do you know that you can use it?'

Comments

• WSS said:

Apathy

Spot on
  • We got used to incompetence very quickly. Pretty much the first thing he did was sell the most popular player in years. After that everyone's resolve was killed slowly by not doing anything madly outrageous (like moving the club) just regular bad stuff we see all over football. Loads of managers, an insane yearly overhaul of players we've never heard of etc. It's hard to give a toss about players that don't even have an English language Wikipedia page when they join and will likely by gone again when they fail or succeed because that's how he operates.

Also we were going bust and were low down in the table (maybe falsely with 5 games in hand, opinions on that vary from person to person) so he had a lot of goodwill towards him which is only now completely disappearing. The second half of 13/14 was blamed on the last board and the 14/15 season was the first full one so I'm sure some could forgive a few mistakes.
  • It's funny I'm hoping we get another Belgian nobody or the splits amongst the fanbase will widen further. This new guy will "deserve a chance" if he's English when he'll just be a puppet like the rest of them. Duchatelet won't change, he'll just sell, no doubt disappointed that our simple tribal minds were unable to comprehend that he was helping us. Like a dad disciplining a child.
  • edited December 2015
    It is called "not giving a shit" i believe.

Was at the rugby on Saturday, checked the score and saw we were two up in 5 minutes. Turned to the company to relay the glad tidings to be met by the usual knowing looks, 3-2 it is then!!!

AND i was on £76 for a Charlton away win, still no flicker of emotion as the final score came in.

• The 13 of us who went together to Brighton each had a £5 on an away win,counting our money we was....oh poor misguided fools!! :(
  • It's a bit like whatever.
  • Sponsored links:

• often "calm" is confused with total apathy
  • cafctom said:

The same spirit isn't there among our fanbase - sad but true.

This is what I fear. No matter what anyone says, the protests were both rather quiet affairs when i expected people to be much angrier and more passionate, particularly in the case of the singing at the Ipswich game. It will be interesting to see what happens at Leeds but I can see people not bothering with anything other than sporadic singing during the game.
  • Probably because we, the fans, know we are just pissing in the wind. The current board couldn't give a monkeys about us.
  • Perhaps we are in that rare situation where an owner would do well to take notice of the lack of disdain. Because, with that comes indifference resulting in poor gates which all adds up to a financial white elephant.
  • Optimism only gets you so far, sadly for us it has been blind optimism more often than not. We have been fed so many promises over the last few years that many have just given up bothering to invest emotion
  • We got used to incompetence very quickly. Pretty much the first thing he did was sell the most popular player in years. After that everyone's resolve was killed slowly by not doing anything madly outrageous (like moving the club) just regular bad stuff we see all over football. Loads of managers, an insane yearly overhaul of players we've never heard of etc. It's hard to give a toss about players that don't even have an English language Wikipedia page when they join and will likely by gone again when they fail or succeed because that's how he operates.

Also we were going bust and were low down in the table (maybe falsely with 5 games in hand, opinions on that vary from person to person) so he had a lot of goodwill towards him which is only now completely disappearing. The second half of 13/14 was blamed on the last board and the 14/15 season was the first full one so I'm sure some could forgive a few mistakes.

I expect someone will be along in a minute and attempt to justify all of the shortcomings you correctly mention, by pointing out that we only lost 3-2 to Brighton - the greatest team there ever was.
  • We appear to be resigned to the inevitable.
  • You can't compare the current Charlton fan to the one that took us back the Valley. It's a different generation. The premiership years in between watered down the atmosphere and passionate type of fan. I'm not saying there aren't passionate Charlton fans anymore but as said before, a lot of our fans only come to Charlton cos it's something to do.
  • Disagree with the above, the majority of those against the protests are the generation that got back to the valley. Majority of those I saw at the protest were under 30.
  • After all these years it isn't apathy, it's learning.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's really worrying is that the apathy you see is from the people that actually go!
  • edited December 2015

Disagree with the above, the majority of those against the protests are the generation that got back to the valley. Majority of those I saw at the protest were under 30.

I take that as a compliment young Harry :wink:
  • seth plum said:

The only realistic hope we have is to invite Roland to a séance, and hope that Alan Turing turns up and tells him to Go forth and multiply and then finds us a caring, sharing even richer benefactor

Tweaked that slightly for you Seth :wink:
  • The big difference is money in the game. Back at The Back to The Valley days you thought fan power could really achieve something. Now you have a mentally rich owner with no access/control/leverage over him but to simply lose interest and stop going.
  • It truly hurts to read these comments.... a lot of truth to them. I can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's just eternal darkness.
  • Because Curbs said don't let the highs be too high or the lows be too low.
  • The 13 of us who went together to Brighton each had a £5 on an away win,counting our money we was....oh poor misguided fools!! :(

Can guess who suggested that bright idea......