Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Non-League teams in FA Cup

2001 - Dagenham - Win AET in replay
2009 - Northwich - Lost

What other games against non-league sides do people remember over the years?

Comments

• 1989 Kettering won 2-1
  • Struggle against Kettering c1988 won 2-1 I think

Were Yeovil in the league when we beat them 3-2 a few years back when in the Prem?
  • 2010 v Luton won after replay
    2011 v Halifax won 4 0
    1980 V Harlow won 3-1 ( I think)
  • Kettering at Selhurst, if memory serves me correct they had an Indian goalie*. He may not have been Indian*
    We did win though, 1-0*. It may not have been 1-0*
  • who can forget the Maidstone punch-up, unbelievable stuff
  • I remember going to watch us away to Harlow, one of my earliest away games. Think we wore the Yellow/Blue adidas FADS kit
  • I remember going to watch us away to Harlow, one of my earliest away games. Think we wore the Yellow/Blue adidas FADS kit

22.11.1980 r1 Harlow Town 0-2 Charlton Athletic

• PopIcon said:

Kettering at Selhurst, if memory serves me correct they had an Indian goalie*. He may not have been Indian*
    We did win though, 1-0*. It may not have been 1-0*

28.01.1989 r4 Charlton Athletic 2-1 Kettering Town
  • We also went to a replay with Kettering in 1927 in the 2nd round (we won)
  • Tonbridge ( now Tonbridge Angels) c 1973 won 5-0 I think
  • Sponsored links:

• 5 0 v Tonbridge 1973?
  • Maidstone, what a farce, we think things are bad today, which they are, but that was a real night of shame.

Hales and Flanagan off for fighting each other. 1-1 on the night having been 1-0 for a long time.

Reply won 2-1 in unconvincing style, bunked of school to get there. Flood lights failed for around 10 mins about 15 mins from the end.
  • Chelmsford City Won 1-0 in the early 70's
  • Chelmsford [a] 1974 won 1-0.
  • 1955/56 Charlton 7 Burton 0, including a Stuart Leary hat trick.
  • 2001 - Dagenham - Win AET in replay
    2009 - Northwich - Lost

They showed the Northwich goal on Football Focus on Saturday!
  • 7 - 0 v Burton in the last 50s Our record cup win.

1919 v Dartford. Gave up home advantage to make more money. Lost the replay also at Dartford
  • edited December 2015
    The Kettering goalie was called Harvey Lim, I think he was Malaysian. He made a series of tremendous saves but the telly ignored all that to try and make it look closer than it was. I suppose we eased up in on the second half but the first half we dominated totally. Ernie Moss, who by then was about 107 scored for them I seem to remember.

The Harlow ground had grass slopes behind the goals, and it pissed down all afternoon. There was a row in the second half and this huge pile of flailing arms and legs slid down the hill towards the goal line, it was like something out of a cartoon.

1919 v Dartford. Gave up home advantage to make more money. Lost the replay also at Dartford

Was you @ the latter match @Henry Irving?
  • All of the recent games have been mentioned, so here's a list of CAFC cup games (1922/23 onwards). There were a number of games versus non league teams in the early days.

http://www.fchd.info/CHARLTOA.HTM

• Sponsored links:

Was you @ the latter match @Henry Irving?
    No, I hadn't been demobbed from the army
  • JohnnyH2 said:

1989 Kettering won 2-1

The programme for that game features a picture and name check of a young PITL...
  • 2001 - Dagenham - Win AET in replay
    2009 - Northwich - Lost

They showed the Northwich goal on Football Focus on Saturday!
    As defeats go this might get the Gold medal in the most disasterous results in our history.
  • Some of the defeats this season have been disasterous.
  • LenGlover said:

Tonbridge ( now Tonbridge Angels) c 1973 won 5-0 I think

Was there! Still got the programme somewhere. Not in that good condition tho!
  • We also went to a replay with Kettering in 1927 in the 2nd round (we won)

When you say 'we' I assume you mean Charlton?!! And not you and the family (:
  • LenGlover said:

Tonbridge ( now Tonbridge Angels) c 1973 won 5-0 I think

Yup I was there on the muddy bank
  • Always remember the Kettering game. Massive hype in the tabloids before the game, how they were bringing 8000 and they'd have more fans there than us.

The club had a sense of humour back in those days and announced the crowd as 16,001!
  • Give it a couple of years & the thread title can read...

Charlton a Non League team in the FA Cup