Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sharps

Anyone have any experience of Sharps fitting wardrobes? They've come out, measured up and told me it will take a day for one of their fitters to complete the job. They kept saying it's a simple job fitting 3 double wardrobes in a row. Then they gave me the quote....well over £8,000!! - 50% discount, followed by a further 20% discount...basically means the price is £4,000 roughly (inc add door knobs etc.) Does this seem a lot or have I just under estimated how much fitted wardrobes cost? For such a 'simple job', this seems a lot?

Comments

• I'd say, "just get me the materials guys, I know someone who does this for a living so can get it a bit cheaper"
  • be careful im not to sure who owns sharps, but magnet kitchens use sub contractors to do a lot of the work and judging by some of the jobs we attend where these fitters have been are pretty shoddy workmanship, a family member had a kitchen fitted by them cost him 10k the job was worth no more than 2.5k including materials, where are you based as i may be able to recommend someone.
  • braydex said:

Anyone have any experience of Sharps fitting wardrobes? They've come out, measured up and told me it will take a day for one of their fitters to complete the job. They kept saying it's a simple job fitting 3 double wardrobes in a row. Then they gave me the quote....well over £8,000!! - 50% discount, followed by a further 20% discount...basically means the price is £4,000 roughly (inc add door knobs etc.) Does this seem a lot or have I just under estimated how much fitted wardrobes cost? For such a 'simple job', this seems a lot?

have used them a couple of years ago, did a good job, but expensive. Couldn't do the one's we needed upstairs as the ceilings sloped as they are in the eaves. Found a local carpenter, basically made them himself, fitted them and a good price. If we had used him instead of Sharps in the other bedroom we would have saved a bundle. My advice would be get a few other quotes from elsewhere and I'd be amazed if you couldn't get them cheaper.

• Great advice, thanks guys.
  • edited December 2015
    I've had a lot of work done by Sharps, fitted wardrobes, cupboards, shelves etc in 3 rooms, awkward corners et al. The man who came out to do the quote was friendly and professional and the fitter arrived on time and did the job with minimum fuss. We have had to call them back on one particular job (a pull out shoe rack) where the edging kept coming off and they came out and repaired it without any fuss. I would recommend them but they aren't cheap!
  • We had a guy from them come and quote on fitted wardrobes in two rooms. £17000.. No thanks! Guy spoke to his boss on phone - ok can do 50% off if you sign today. No thanks- its two wardrobes not a flat!
    Spoke to boss again - ok another 50% if you sign within 5 minutes No thanks- its still just two wardrobes!

Guy went away moaning. Sharps called us a week later - would you still like the wardrobes at £!700 (10% of original price) - Oh ok - why so cheap now?
    The answer - they have fitters who are employed - so rather than having fitters sitting around doing nothing, if they haven't had full sales, they sell at just above cost so at least they are covering the wages for the fitters, rather than paying them to do nothing. Most of the original cost from the quote is sales commission. Maybe offer them much less, directly with the company , and you may get it at a decent price. The fitter and the finished wadrobes were great by the way, and have lasted 14 odd years without any problem.
  • They keep leaving those yellow boxes around everywhere.
  • One for the medical fraternity there.
  • I get that one as I get my Sharps boxes delivered.
  • Sharps when part of Homeform went bust. (Perhaps not for the first time?) It was the only viable part of the business. Moben, Dolphin and Kitchens Direct were just binned but Sharps was bought by a US-based private equity firm.
    We have some quite old Sharps units and they've been pretty durable. But do they use the same quality components now?
    Anyway as with all advance or besoke orders, if they want a deposit make sure you pay by credit card to get full Consumer Credit Act protection in the event that anything goes wrong.
    I know I'm being pessimistic and ultra-cautious but take care with retailers at this time of year anyway. It is a bonkers fact of life that the next quarter's commercial property rent falls due on Christmas Day. If pre-xmas trading has not been good.....
  • Sponsored links:

• We had a guy from them come and quote on fitted wardrobes in two rooms. £17000.. No thanks! Guy spoke to his boss on phone - ok can do 50% off if you sign today. No thanks- its two wardrobes not a flat!
    Spoke to boss again - ok another 50% if you sign within 5 minutes No thanks- its still just two wardrobes!

Guy went away moaning. Sharps called us a week later - would you still like the wardrobes at £!700 (10% of original price) - Oh ok - why so cheap now?
    The answer - they have fitters who are employed - so rather than having fitters sitting around doing nothing, if they haven't had full sales, they sell at just above cost so at least they are covering the wages for the fitters, rather than paying them to do nothing. Most of the original cost from the quote is sales commission.

Sharps practices