Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga discusses his Charlton exit, interference from the board and Katrien Meire

"It was a surprise for me not to stay on because no one was really expecting me to leave. Even now, I still have no explanation - it’s part of some mystery..."

Full quotes:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14125883.Jose_Riga__Charlton_exit_still_a_mystery/

Comments

• With his Charlton exit being a mystery I wonder why he took the Liege job under Roland?
  • purely hypothetical but I wonder how we'd be doing now if Jose had stayed.
  • PL54 said:

Macronate said:

purely hypothetical but I wonder how we'd be doing now if Jose had stayed.

I think we'd be cracking on.

I though Riga was great - he'll be back.
    Just imagine if they bring him in soon and have Euell working under him
  • With his Charlton exit being a mystery I wonder why he took the Liege job under Roland?

Yes, that is also a very good point.

• A daft decision to not keep Riga on. Equally bizarre was not retaining Fraeye back in summer 2014
    Macronate said:

purely hypothetical but I wonder how we'd be doing now if Jose had stayed.

The one manager who got the best out of Callum, and did a good job with Sordell too
  • edited December 2015
    We were dangerous under Riga, and when you look at the players he had to work with he worked a miracle.
  • Sponsored links:

• We should though remember the worrying allegations coming out of Belgium. They are a matter of public record so i can repeat them here. Jose Riga is alleged to have accepted a bribe from a player (Jonathan Legear) to select him. This matter is the subject of a criminal investigation in Belgium.

• He is one of Roland's puppets, regardless of the fact they've only met a couple of times. Of course he's not going to admit that the owner/CEO are the types to interfere.

I'm still taking Chris Powell's word for what these clowns are like.
  • We should though remember the worrying allegations coming out of Belgium. They are a matter of public record so i can repeat them here. Jose Riga is alleged to have accepted a bribe from a player (Jonathan Legear) to select him. This matter is the subject of a criminal investigation in Belgium.

Has it been confirmed that the allegations are about Riga?

Don't think so
  • Two good articles there. The other one with Riga's comments about Fraeye is a good read. Some negative comments on here (I can't see why). I prefer to accentuate the positive.
  • stonemuse said:

We should though remember the worrying allegations coming out of Belgium. They are a matter of public record so i can repeat them here. Jose Riga is alleged to have accepted a bribe from a player (Jonathan Legear) to select him. This matter is the subject of a criminal investigation in Belgium.

Don't think so
    According to Douglas de Coninck, definitely yes.

• edited December 2015

We should though remember the worrying allegations coming out of Belgium. They are a matter of public record so i can repeat them here. Jose Riga is alleged to have accepted a bribe from a player (Jonathan Legear) to select him. This matter is the subject of a criminal investigation in Belgium.

As far as I am aware Bruno Venanzi made the allegation but wouldn't actually reveal the name of the manager in question though it seems to be one of either Riga, Luzon or Vukanovic. That's of course if the allegations are even true. Remember this is the same guy who is accusing Duchatelet of corruption with respect to the Tony Watt business.
  • stonemuse said:

Don't think so

Fair enough, prefer to wait and see on this as it's so serious
  • Well the following is what DdC (who is a news journo not sport one, don't forget, and has interviewed RD three times) wrote me on 26 Oct. It remains an allegation and I have not seen an update, but the detail is clear, if there has been any offence, it involves Riga:

Did you hear about the Riga-Legear-story? Jonathan Legear is a former big Belgian talent, but the most intelligent one. He used to drive his Porsche into gas stations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMxvDI_L84

Since he was earning millions at Grozny (Russia), he's just a shadow of the player he once was.
    After failing at several clubs, José Riga, engaged Legear at Blackpool last season. They never got payed, Legear never played 1 minute for Blackpool and they both left England early 2015. Standard was doing great at that moment under new coach Ivan Vukamonic, former assistent of Guy Luzon. We won game after game, making the 2014-2015 season suddenly more than worth watching. To our huge surprise, Duchâtelet replaced Vukamonic by José Riga who brought in Jonathan Legear as well at Standard. Legear made some substitute appearances, not very impressive, but made a deal with Duchâtelet: if he managed to impress José Riga en if he would play X minutes in official games, he would get a contract for next season.
    He reached the X minutes and got his contract.
    Legear is a millionaire, after 2,5 season in Grozny, José Riga is still claiming money from Blackpool. A few weeks ago we learned that Legear has payed Riga for his X minutes on the pitch...
    Coach bribed by player. That's what seems to have happened under Duchâtelet.
    There's a crime investigation going on now.
    In Dutch we have this funny expression about dead bodies falling out of the wardrobe.

If anyone has a more recent update, please post it.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

Don't think so

Innocent until proved guilty in a court of law
  • edited December 2015
    cafc999 said:

stonemuse said:

Don't think so

Not under Corpus Juris.

Essentially guilty until he proves his innocence. The incompatibility of UK Law, simplistically innocent until proved guilty, and the Corpus Juris code of most European countries, simplistically guilty until proved innocent, is one example of why the EU and the UK don't match.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/innocent-until-proven-guilty-not-under-the-eu-s-justice-system-8931215.html
  • Of the four managers appointed by Meire, in my opinion Riga is the only one who decided that certain matches were not worth trying to win and instead decided to 'throw' them to focus on the matches identified as winnable. Burnley home, Derby away and Blackburn home spring to mind.
  • Well the following is what DdC (who is a news journo not sport one, don't forget, and has interviewed RD three times) wrote me on 26 Oct. It remains an allegation and I have not seen an update, but the detail is clear, if there has been any offence, it involves Riga:

Did you hear about the Riga-Legear-story? Jonathan Legear is a former big Belgian talent, but the most intelligent one. He used to drive his Porsche into gas stations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMxvDI_L84

Since he was earning millions at Grozny (Russia), he's just a shadow of the player he once was.
    After failing at several clubs, José Riga, engaged Legear at Blackpool last season. They never got payed, Legear never played 1 minute for Blackpool and they both left England early 2015. Standard was doing great at that moment under new coach Ivan Vukamonic, former assistent of Guy Luzon. We won game after game, making the 2014-2015 season suddenly more than worth watching. To our huge surprise, Duchâtelet replaced Vukamonic by José Riga who brought in Jonathan Legear as well at Standard. Legear made some substitute appearances, not very impressive, but made a deal with Duchâtelet: if he managed to impress José Riga en if he would play X minutes in official games, he would get a contract for next season.
    He reached the X minutes and got his contract.
    Legear is a millionaire, after 2,5 season in Grozny, José Riga is still claiming money from Blackpool. A few weeks ago we learned that Legear has payed Riga for his X minutes on the pitch...
    Coach bribed by player. That's what seems to have happened under Duchâtelet.
    There's a crime investigation going on now.
    In Dutch we have this funny expression about dead bodies falling out of the wardrobe.

If anyone has a more recent update, please post it.

Very interesting. It will be very difficult to find some evidence to support the allegation I would think, but if it is found to be true, it would definitely taint my opinion of Riga, and I certainly would not want him back at the club.
  • Very very good manager and man manager! Please come bk
  • cafc999 said:

stonemuse said:

Don't think so

The "yes" was simply that yes the allegations definitely concern Riga.

• I was won over by Riga
    Liked the bloke took us in the right direction
  • For me it was odd that they didn't keep Riga on at the end of his half season. It made no sense then or now

But what really amazed me was that when they sacked Peeters, and Riga was available, they picked Luzon only for Jose to turn up at Standard only a few weeks later.

I think that was the turning point for me.

And that's without the utter nonsense for Fraeye not being kept either but being good enough to be an interim a season later.

Yes. And on top of that, he turned up at Standard for no reason that was obvious to their fans.