Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Target 20,000 launched

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

On the 'giving away' thing my daughter's season ticket is often available for free as she can no longer make every match.

Yet I often cannot find a taker for it.

I accept that there is a considerable downside for any prospective user in having to sit next to me for 90 minutes or more but suggest that a worthwhile product on the pitch would enable people to overcome that obstacle!

Len, I have had the pleasure of meeting you and would be honoured to sit with another cantankerous old git such as you. I only make 4-6 visits to the Valley per season and was totally unaware of the option to sit beside a fellow old grumpy. Yet another failing of the club's database!!
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if we have a football for a fiver day this year and if so, how many people will attend
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    cafc999 said:

It will be interesting to see if we have a football for a fiver day this year and if so, how many people will attend

Bristol City on February 6th is the best opportunity IMO - Tuesday nights are no good and it makes no financial sense with large away support, which applies to all the later Saturday home games. Blackburn on January 23rd is a bit too tight on Christmas to do the publicity. Cardiff on Feb 13th would probably attract heavier police costs.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Bristol City on February 6th is the best opportunity IMO - Tuesday nights are no good and it makes no financial sense with large away support, which applies to all the later Saturday home games. Blackburn on January 23rd is a bit too tight on Christmas to do the publicity.
    Good shout but knowing KM we won't have it this year and then she will deny that football for a fiver ever existed in he first place
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who is this person or persons who is advising KM? Airman also intimated this recently.

Sounds like a fairly poisonous influence.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Bristol City on February 6th is the best opportunity IMO - Tuesday nights are no good and it makes no financial sense with large away support, which applies to all the later Saturday home games. Blackburn on January 23rd is a bit too tight on Christmas to do the publicity. Cardiff on Feb 13th would probably attract heavier police costs.
    But when has the current regime brought common sense into its operations thus far ?

• Options
    Stop putting screaming kids fueled with Haribo right behind me... Have had it every game this season, can deal with the rubbish on the pitch but getting a headache every 90mins is difficult to handle!!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Stop putting screaming kids fueled with Haribo right behind me... Have had it every game this season, can deal with the rubbish on the pitch but getting a headache every 90mins is difficult to handle!!

haha - you could be talking about my kids and my mates ones, but to be fair there are plenty of empty seats near us for people to move to
  • Options

What further concerns me to is I'm sure I recall KM or RD saying at the outset of the tenure that winning isn't the most important thing and the prime focus is the "match day experience" (or something along those lines).

Now whilst this is admirable from a corinthian point of view I don't think it taps into the psyche of most English fans whereby the football comes first and all the niceties are periphery.

And for that reason and ones pointed out in my previous post I think they're approaching things back to front.

Winning IS the match day experience.
    Sadly, as a Charlton fan, it's not part of my match day experience image
  • Options
    edited December 2015

You could always just tell them to piss off...;-)
  • Options
    I thought Target 20000 was the number of chips they plan to sell at each game until I realised that it didn't divide by 17.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

Bristol City on February 6th is the best opportunity IMO - Tuesday nights are no good and it makes no financial sense with large away support, which applies to all the later Saturday home games. Blackburn on January 23rd is a bit too tight on Christmas to do the publicity.
    Good shout but knowing KM we won't have it this year and then she will deny that football for a fiver ever existed in he first place
    I believe one's planned but I can't recall what match. It won't be announced until nearer the game anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought Target 20000 was the number of chips they plan to sell at each game until I realised that it didn't divide by 17.

It does if you cheat and allow for 3000 away fans...
  • Options
    We didn't even get 20k for a local derby against Millwall last season and the attendance wasn't that much over 20k even when Bournemouth took over on the last day.
    As others have said, this doesn't have a hope unless we're pushing for promotion.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

seth plum said:

I am in favour of gates of 20000 because if we get that kind of number regularly it means footballing success.
    Fanny alluded earlier to trying to find out why people are abandoning Charlton Athletic in droves, but for the regime asking that question is scary, because the answer will be it's not us, it's you.
    Seeing as how they genuinely believe that five managers is indeed a successful strategy, or that only 2% are upset, or that despite cutbacks losses are increasing due to their poor decision making but they think they are running things well, or that shedding and alienating combined years of expertise is a good thing, and that older supporters are a millstone round their necks...as long as they continue to genuinely believe they are on the right track fans will continue to bog off.
    The loss of face involved in admitting their cock ups is too much to endure, so sacrificing the club seems to be the better option in order to 'be right'. After all if the club dies they can blame the Royal Mail.

But it doesn't. It really doesn't. Especially when RD revolves his selling point around the 'matchday experience' aka everything but the football, and making cheap tickets.. It in no way reflects or positively affects the way our team will be run on the pitch and our recruitment drive for players/coaches.

Put it this way, we carry on as we are footballing wise and 20k magically and somehow happens, now less magically we get relegated, a VERY realistic prospect with the way we are run as we can go months without the right (or enough) players/coaching experience. That's not footballing success, that's footballing failure with lots of people attending who will then shoe off to West Ham or similar.

Also, put it this way, this call for help is an admittance to the fact that RD's plan for our football club will NOT achieve said attendances, nor will it with help but he is trying for that, as who says no to free help!? He knows that fans = safety net of which his plan quite dearly needs. He can't build attendances on the way he runs the football club, hence why he is calling for the fans help.

It's lovely to have a vibrant match day and smashing atmosphere at the Valley come 3pm, but it's also not going to be a) achievable b) attracting hard-core fans, just people sitting there to watch football.

Also, if Virgin get what they want with 3PM Televised matches in the Prem we are a dead team walking the way we are run at the moment. Not to mention WHU's attractiveness and space for new 'fans'.

This is to nullify the protests as they will be drowned out if the attendances pick up and fans view that as a sign of progress. It wouldn't be a sign of any progress.

Footballing success alone won't achieve it either. It took a lot of hard work to get our attendances to what they were even in the Premier League years, and to maintain them after relegation. That Target 20k became Target 40k is an indicator of how successful but also how important that work was.

To create what's essentially a focus group really is not going to achieve what Target 20k did all those years ago. I'ts not what's needed, and I'd go as far as saying it's likely to be a complete waste of everyone's time. I'm wondering if this relentless drive to get everyone in a room reflects a CEO without the confidence or the courage to get the right people working together, regardless of personal differences or issues.
    Have or will the Trust be releasing a statement with their thoughts on this T20k campaign?
  • Options
    Regarding target 20,000, the only way you are going to get that Katrien
    is if you reduce the admission to a fiver.
    Always used to have one a season.
    A fiver is about all its worth this season anyway.
    That may get me back for 1 game1
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

rikofold said:

seth plum said:

I am in favour of gates of 20000 because if we get that kind of number regularly it means footballing success.
    Fanny alluded earlier to trying to find out why people are abandoning Charlton Athletic in droves, but for the regime asking that question is scary, because the answer will be it's not us, it's you.
    Seeing as how they genuinely believe that five managers is indeed a successful strategy, or that only 2% are upset, or that despite cutbacks losses are increasing due to their poor decision making but they think they are running things well, or that shedding and alienating combined years of expertise is a good thing, and that older supporters are a millstone round their necks...as long as they continue to genuinely believe they are on the right track fans will continue to bog off.
    The loss of face involved in admitting their cock ups is too much to endure, so sacrificing the club seems to be the better option in order to 'be right'. After all if the club dies they can blame the Royal Mail.

But it doesn't. It really doesn't. Especially when RD revolves his selling point around the 'matchday experience' aka everything but the football, and making cheap tickets.. It in no way reflects or positively affects the way our team will be run on the pitch and our recruitment drive for players/coaches.

Put it this way, we carry on as we are footballing wise and 20k magically and somehow happens, now less magically we get relegated, a VERY realistic prospect with the way we are run as we can go months without the right (or enough) players/coaching experience. That's not footballing success, that's footballing failure with lots of people attending who will then shoe off to West Ham or similar.

Also, put it this way, this call for help is an admittance to the fact that RD's plan for our football club will NOT achieve said attendances, nor will it with help but he is trying for that, as who says no to free help!? He knows that fans = safety net of which his plan quite dearly needs. He can't build attendances on the way he runs the football club, hence why he is calling for the fans help.

It's lovely to have a vibrant match day and smashing atmosphere at the Valley come 3pm, but it's also not going to be a) achievable b) attracting hard-core fans, just people sitting there to watch football.

Also, if Virgin get what they want with 3PM Televised matches in the Prem we are a dead team walking the way we are run at the moment. Not to mention WHU's attractiveness and space for new 'fans'.

This is to nullify the protests as they will be drowned out if the attendances pick up and fans view that as a sign of progress. It wouldn't be a sign of any progress.

Footballing success alone won't achieve it either. It took a lot of hard work to get our attendances to what they were even in the Premier League years, and to maintain them after relegation. That Target 20k became Target 40k is an indicator of how successful but also how important that work was.

To create what's essentially a focus group really is not going to achieve what Target 20k did all those years ago. I'ts not what's needed, and I'd go as far as saying it's likely to be a complete waste of everyone's time. I'm wondering if this relentless drive to get everyone in a room reflects a CEO without the confidence or the courage to get the right people working together, regardless of personal differences or issues.
    Have or will the Trust be releasing a statement with their thoughts on this T20k campaign?
    This statement was put out on the initial announcement. I'm not directly involved but I'm sure further comments will follow when something useful can be said.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

jamescafc said:

rikofold said:

seth plum said:

This statement was put out on the initial announcement. I'm not directly involved but I'm sure further comments will follow when something useful can be said.
    The only useful thing that can be said is "RD has spent money on an experienced championship head coach, a new head scout that knows the football league, and at least 5 championship experienced players, he has also decided not to sell any of our youth players" anything else is a waste of time as you will never get 20,000 through the gates without a successful team and coaching staff, no matter what ideas the Trust or anyone will have!
  • Options
    rikofold said:

cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

I believe one's planned but I can't recall what match. It won't be announced until nearer the game anyway.
    Probably about three days beforehand............
  • Options
    The first appointments to Charlton’s Target 20,000 group have been made today with 10 supporters confirmed for the new panel tasked with driving the campaign to maintain and grow our active fan base.

Supporters have contacted the club over the past week to volunteer for the group, which will also look at improving the matchday experience at The Valley.

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire said: “We are very grateful to all those who offered their assistance. It is really positive to see such a cross-section of our supporters wanting to help out for the benefit of the club.

“Attracting more supporters to come and watch the team here at The Valley – and ensuring we are doing everything we can to make their matchday experience enjoyable - is crucial to us.

“Although we cannot accept every application, we are very grateful to everybody who took the time to offer their help.”

Ten supporters in nine categories have been selected. They are:

Season Ticket Holders - Alison Sampson
    Supporters aged 16-25 - Will Candy and Rhys Crane
    Supporters aged between 25 and 35 - Matthew Cowlam
    Supporters aged over 35 - Rick Everitt
    Supporters Club members - Brad Knights-Toomer
    Valley Gold supporters - Martin Banks
    Supporters with a disability - Tom Acornley
    Family Stand members - Adrian Simpson
    Non-season ticket holders / members - Simon Evans

The club hopes to be able to conclude the process with the appointment of representatives in the remaining supporter categories: Corporate hospitality; BAME (Black Asian Minority Ethnic) supporters and LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender) as soon as possible.

The first Target 20,000 meeting, to be held by the end of the calendar year, will be chaired by a member of staff and the panel will then elect its own Chair. Senior club staff will attend each meeting on a frequency determined by the topics to be discussed.

Meire added: “Once this panel has been established the club will turn its attention to creating the Strategy Group which we believe should also be composed of senior Club staff and supporters. It is important this group has the capability of calling on support from the wider Charlton community in order to take advantage of specialist skills, experience, knowledge and ideas.”