Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bass players

Comments

• Options
    John Taylor from Duran Duran didn't play bass on the initial studio albums he was too pony it was session men.
  • Options
    Duran Duran's session men

; )
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Sammy, is Bernard Edwards the bloke from Chic? Given that the bassline from Good Times is probably the most nicked one of all time, I can't agree more. That's despite my "child of the 80s" appreciation of Mark King and John Taylor.

Is indeed the guy from chic
  • Options
    Mick Karn - Japan

Then quite a way back, Mark King, JJ Burnell and John Deacon.
  • Options
    Unless I've missed it, surprised nobody has mentioned John Paul Jones.
  • Options
    Nathan East and/or Jack Bruce with Willie Weekes and Pino Palladino coming close
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

John entwhistle. Legend.

I can't believe I forgot to include 'The Ox' in the original post, doh!
  • Options
    I think Bruce Foxton also deserves a mention
  • Options
    The late Andy Fraser of FREE passed away in March this year aged 62 in California.
    Great bass player and songwriter, co-wrote 'All Right Now' with Paul Rodgers.
    The track 'Mr Big' is my personal choice from the album 'Fire & Water'
    R.I.P
  • Options
    Jack Bruce, Tal Wilkenfeld, Charle Mingus, Nathan East, John Mc Vie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bootsy Collins anyone ?
  • Options

Bootsy Collins anyone ?

Good Call

Robbie Shakespeare
  • Options
    Mani - Stone Roses
    Mat Osman - Suede
    Darryl Hunt - Pogues
    Mike Hogan - Cranberries
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Yes! Bootsy Collins. No point posting any more. Started as a kid along with his older brother Phelps with James Brown, drafted in straight onto the stage when Brown sacked his entire band, who refused to go on unless they got a pay rise. And what a great band that was: Clyde Stubblefield, Maceo Parker, Jimmy Nolen. Gone. 'You're sacked, off you go. Bobby? Fly those kids in from Cincinnati.'
  • Options
    Greenie said:

John Taylor from Duran Duran didn't play bass on the initial studio albums he was too pony it was session men.

Source?

I've seen reviews of early Duran duran live shows, and his playing was highly rated. John Taylor himself have mentioned how he likes the track Rio as the bassline made his reputation, which hardly ties with session players being involved
  • Options
    Derek Smalls
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Greenie said:

Source?

I've seen reviews of early Duran duran live shows, and his playing was highly rated. John Taylor himself have mentioned how he likes the track Rio as the bassline made his reputation, which hardly ties with session players being involved
    Sorry, people I know in the business, its common knowledge (allegedly), and John Taylor would say that wouldn't he.
    There was an interview in NME in the 80's with Duran Duran and John Taylor said he has no idea what strings he uses, but he knows what shirt he is wearing at the gig. He really was pony when they started.

Mind you its not unusual, a lot of live bands just cannot cut it and dont have the discipline to play accurately in the studio. Ronnie Lane, The Faces bass player didn't play bass on their first album, not considered good enough, the bass was played by my mate Dave S.

• Options
    Marcus Van Story
    Bill Black
    Bob Cotton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve Harris - Iron Maiden

and me ;-)
  • Options

Derek Forbes (ex-Simple Minds, ex-Propoganda))
    Danny Thompson (Double Bass)
    Bert Ruiter (ex-Focus)
    Alex Malheiros (Asymuth) (Brazilian Jazz-Funk band)
    Mike Howlett (GONG)
    Stanley Clarke

Just SOOOOOOOO many fantastic and talented bassmen .. been waiting to see who else would name Stanley C .. saw Chick Corea .. Return to Forever at Ronnie Scotts years ago .. Clarke is a great back up man and in a band with no guitarist, he also played 'lead bass', just terrific in a brilliant band
    .. as mentioned .. the late Jaco Pistorius of Weather Report, another great 'Jazz/Rock' band from the 70s .. there are many session men who I just love listening to .. BUT .. a t m their names escape me .. check out Steely Dan's music and listen to what I mean
  • Options

Bert Ruiter (ex-Focus)
    Mike Howlett (GONG)
    Stanley Clarke

Just SOOOOOOOO many fantastic and talented bassmen .. been waiting to see who else would name Stanley C .. saw Chick Corea .. Return to Forever at Ronnie Scotts years ago .. Clarke is a great back up man and in a band with no guitarist, he also played 'lead bass', just terrific in a brilliant band
    .. as mentioned .. the late Jaco Pistorius of Weather Report, another great 'Jazz/Rock' band from the 70s .. there are many session men who I just love listening to .. BUT .. a t m their names escape me .. check out Steely Dan's music and listen to what I mean

Bert Ruiter (ex-Focus)
    Mike Howlett (GONG)
    Stanley Clarke

Chuck Rainey.
  • Options
    Si John (Reprazent)
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Bert Ruiter (ex-Focus)
    Mike Howlett (GONG)
    Stanley Clarke

Bert Ruiter (ex-Focus)
    Mike Howlett (GONG)
    Stanley Clarke

Chuck Rainey.
    that's the man ((:>)
  • Options
    Clam on bass! Nice! Smokin!
  • Options
    My son.