Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fess paid to agents, by club

Official figures, compiled by the FL

15 clubs paid more than us in the period under review.That period is, to be fair, relatively recent. But one of RD's stated aims with his network is to address the ridiculous amount of money spent on agents. Whether these figures show he is succeeding, is a very moot point. Take a look...

Comments

• Options
    I think you have to take into account the very high turnover of players, too.
  • Options
    Well done to Bury ... Accrington ... Hartlepool for refusing to pay the bastards!!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Championship.
    Average £1,088,500
    Highest: Cardiff £2,828,133
    Charlton: £656,759 (17th, 60% of avg)
    Lowest: Rotherham £185,430
    (Premier League average £6.5M - six times the Championship level)
  • Options
    Interesting how much the clubs that were banned from spending in the transfer market have spent - Blackburn, Forest, Bolton, QPR. Over 6m in total.
  • Options
    Agents are so common place in the modern game that it is a nice thought but bypassing them significantly is a bit pie in the sky.

The majority of players now surely have agents or at least should do. Not sure many youngsters will have the level of business acumen or capability to successfully negotiate contracts with shrewd CEOs (at most clubs lolz) and so they are a necessary evil.

It's double standards to expect players to be loyal to a club when they are successful and not look out for number one when they court the interest of other clubs whilst at the same time clubs will move a player off the payroll on a whim if they're not performing or not in the current managers plans.

Most of us will have probably left jobs for seemingly better jobs at some point and probably often used recruitment agencies which is a similar principal.

As pointed out by Uboat it's paying fees for the garbage signings that grates but that's where your smart scouting and recruitment policy should come in.
  • Options
    I was just composing exactly the same point.

So I will just say ^^^^ this ^^^^^
  • Options
    Would you pay a recruitment agency out of your own salary if they got you a job?
  • Options

Would you pay a recruitment agency out of your own salary if they got you a job?

If I were an actor, say? Or other entertainment professional, then yes.

These people have a contract with the players not the club. Whereas recruitment agencies generally have a contract with the prospective employer. So a different kettle of fish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Hunt used to have a blog, mostly about the house he built in Belize but occasionally he would discuss his football career.

He said when he signed from Newcastle for WBA, Ozzie Ardiles their manager at the time, spoke to him and said this is the maximum we can pay you so don't bother with your agent. Andy Hunt insisted on bringing his agent in. After some time negotiating, the agent came out of Ardiles' office and said - Sorry Andy they won't budge on your wages - that'll be 10% please.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

These people have a contract with the players not the club. Whereas recruitment agencies generally have a contract with the prospective employer. So a different kettle of fish.
    Fair enough and good example re the actors.

Suppose if it changed to that players paid out of their pockets they'd just command higher wage/ signing fee to cover the agent's fee so the clubs would still end up paying it albeit indirectly.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Fair enough and good example re the actors.

Suppose if it changed to that players paid out of their pockets they'd just command higher wage/ signing fee to cover the agent's fee so the clubs would still end up paying it albeit indirectly.
    Difference is that if players had to write cheques to pay agents then there would be downward pressure on agents fees from boths side, not just the clubs.
  • Options
    I was going to go into a big rant about how I hate these parasites because of the way that they've weedled themselves into a position where they can skim £30m out of our game whilst adding zero value. Then I noticed the small print that accompanies the table, "The amounts shown include payments made by clubs on behalf of players". Without knowing exactly what this represents, quantifying how much money is involved and whether or not those players pay the clubs back in full, this table becomes completely worthless.

I still believe that football has, through the greed of those who are allowed to control it, gotten itself into one hell of a mess and that clubs shouldn't be paying agents one single penny. It's just that this isn't the table to prove it.
  • Options
    So does nobody think that agents bring anything positive to the game ?
  • Options
    I wonder what the fee per transfer is for Charlton compared to other clubs in the division.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Like what? A culture of greed, an ever faster player merry-go-round, the systematic syphoning of money out of our sport? Oh yeah, they a bloody great. Monster, Monster Monster!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Stig said:

se9addick said:

Like what? A culture of greed, an ever faster player merry-go-round, the systematic syphoning of money out of our sport? Oh yeah, they a bloody great. Monster, Monster Monster!
    I listened to a really interesting opinion piece by Tim Vickery around a year ago and his argument was that absolutely the amounts that clubs are paying to agents is madness but the idea of agents themselves isn't inherently a bad one. Players, particularly those from overseas, were easily exploited by clubs prior to the arrival of agents and the role of an agent is really to redress the balance. Many players see their agents as father figures and the only person in the industry they can trust (see Christiano Ronaldo's relationship with his agent for evidence of this).

I'm not saying that there aren't some agents that are absolute chancers, nor am I saying the amounts paid to agents aren't out of control, but I don't think it's as simple as saying they're all "parasites" or "monsters".
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Just think, if we hadn't paid those fees to agents we would have had almost enough money to buy another Polish Pete. Just imagine where we could be now with two of them.
  • Options
    If the players paid their agents from their salary, they would have to pay tax on it. Recruitment fees paid by employers are tax deductible. I guess we're all "tax evaders" when it comes to getting a new job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's the role of agents, what should it be?

I can see the argument that football players are not like managers in business, they need someone on their side.

But it's completely unacceptable to have agents who play both sides, as they do now. That is what happened in the case of Gomez. This sort of shit should be outlawed, but how, and who will outlaw it? Not FIFA in anything like its current incarnation, that's for sure.

The PFA has a proposal, that they should play the role of looking after the players, leaving the agents to behave more like recruitment or exec search consultants in normal business, where their clients are the clubs, and only the clubs. But they don't seem to be getting very far with this idea. Too many club chairmen fall under the spell of agents, that's one of the problems.
  • Options
    Another symptom of fact that there is too much money slushing about in football. One day ordinary people will realise that they are being ripped off at the turnstiles and in their sky bills and vote with their feet.

I really hope so. The football reset button is long overdue being pressed.
  • Options
    When I have used

Different kettle of fish in my opinion.

A football club wants a player, the player says talk to my agent.
    The player is known to the club and the agent is employed by the player.

A 'normal' company looking for an employee probably would not be aware of me or all the available talent so they would approach a recruitment agency to find the talent on their behalf.