Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fury and Murray

I don't follow boxing anymore but there seemed to be a lot of boxing fans who disliked Fury and didn't give him a prayer. He's now world champion.

In the Tennis Andy Murray draws similar remarks despite being no.2 in the world.

Is it they just happen to be dislikable men or is there something about knocking down winners?

Is it their personality, their backgrounds or their success that makes some people dislike them?

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    Fury is a top dollar prick and Andy Murray's racket has more personality than him.
  • Options
    I think it's because their surnames rhyme.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I thought this was going to be about our Non Executive Chairman upset that his stake in CAFC was finally going down the Swanny. Back on topic I wouldn't particularly like to spend an evening in their company mind you I am sure they'd probably feel the same about me :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Brits hate winners
  • Options

Brits hate winners

Nonsense . We hate gobby shites and miserable gits.
  • Options
    Is it because of their respective styles? Neither have the explosive, attacking flair attributes that sports fans warm too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like them both. Carter summed it up very well.
  • Options
    Yet people loved brunonand henman despite both being slighlty above average. Henman had no personality either and Bruno... Never quite got the appeal. I bet if fury and Murray were middle class and English they would be more popular even if everything else stayed the same
  • Options
    Carter said:

I don't mind Andy Murray at all. I like the fact he's proud of his country and not tying to curry favour by sucking up to us English.

Tyson Fury I say fair play to the man I don't think a lot of him but from a sporting perspective he deserves respect now

However, is that why Murray's home is Oxshott near Esher- is that not in England.?
  • Options

Carter said:

I don't mind Andy Murray at all. I like the fact he's proud of his country and not tying to curry favour by sucking up to us English.

Tyson Fury I say fair play to the man I don't think a lot of him but from a sporting perspective he deserves respect now

However, is that why Murray's home is Oxshott near Esher- is that not in England.?
    It's also in the UK
  • Options
    I more often than not always support the English/British competitors in any sport, but it just so happens that the likes of Fury and Lewis Hamilton are really hard for me to like based on their personalities.

Tyson Fury especially is king of the bellends.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I more often than not always support the English/British competitors in any sport, but it just so happens that the likes of Fury and Lewis Hamilton are really hard for me to like based on their personalities.

Tyson Fury especially is king of the bellends.

Ooohhh Hamilton is a massive chunt forgot about him and his incredibly punchable face
  • Options
    Fury and Murray both deserve great credit - don't know them personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Murray has to be one of the great British sportsman. A lot of the people who know Murray often state that he is misunderstood by the public and he's actually a really funny guy. Least Murray performs with passion on the big stage unlike a lot of our overpaid footballers. Fury has got a personality that your either gonna love or hate, personally I thinks it great to have a Brit sports person who's a bit on the cocky side, least he backed it up with a performance.Long may they both keep performing at such a high level, it's great for British sport.
  • Options

Andy Murray is a legend for what he has achieved on the court, and seems a perfectly decent and ordinary guy, I don't get the dislike for him. He can be a bit grumpy on court, but he's Tennis Player not a chat show host.

Murray won SPOTY in 2013, and Hamilton in 2014 so clearly the wider public seem to like them too.

Murray has become a lot more likeable to.be fair, used to be a sulky, stroppy bore but has matured and comes across as a quiet but likeable and pretty funny guy now.

Brilliant player too.
  • Options

Carter said:

You can still be proud of your home nation when you don't live there. Plenty do it

• Options
    You can respect someone's achievements without actually liking them.

And you don't have to support them just because they are British.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Yet people loved brunonand henman despite both being slighlty above average. Henman had no personality either and Bruno... Never quite got the appeal. I bet if fury and Murray were middle class and English they would be more popular even if everything else stayed the same

You are a tough crowd. Henman was ranked in top 17 in world for 8 consecutive years.
  • Options

Brits hate winners

Not at all, look at the love for Conor McGregor atm
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

You are a tough crowd. Henman was ranked in top 17 in world for 8 consecutive years.
    Reached the semi final in all four grand slams too.

Perry and Murray are the best two British players since majors abandoned the Challenge round. Bunny Austin, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman, in order of when they played, are fighting it out for 3rd in my view and, for me, Tim probably shades it for excelling at all four major veenues.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

Perry and Murray are the best two British players since majors abandoned the Challenge round. Bunny Austin, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman, in order of when they played, are fighting it out for 3rd in my view and, for me, Tim probably shades it for excelling at all four major veenues.
    Don't forget Virginia Wade! She won more Grand Slams than Murray, Henman and Tyson combined.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

Henman didn't reach an Australian Open semi.