Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loaning Watt to Cardiff was an 'easy' decision, says Fraeye

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

You'll have 3 LOLS in 1 minute.

Go.

PL54 said:

Poor by anyone's standards

Everyone's waiting for you to start… :wink:
  • Options

colin1961 said:

What can he and the club say ....
    If you read between the lines how the club are wording there statements and even the story from Stephen Henderson about Watt , there was clearly a problem and he had to be moved on

So, just because TW can be a bit "difficult" then you get rid......? Over the years there have been many strikers who have a bit of something different about them, that's what makes them the players they are.......Jeez, if we had Killer nowdays he'd had been shipped off to pastures new before he even got to play, What about players like Di Canio, Gascoigne etc etc ?

Its not even as though he'd been swinging punches around ala Todd & Kiely or sleeping with players wives or mothers. All it takes it a good manger & TW will turn out a decent player but no one seems to have the cohunes to stand by him.
    The clue here is FOOTBALL TEAM. A manager / Coach call it whatever you want has a responsibility to the squad not just an errant player. If the disruption is such that it upsets the team then as KF said it's an easy decision to move a player on.

But that is the point. It's easy. The more difficult decision is "I as the manager of this team, recognise that this guy is a major talent. He's also a difficult ******. But if I succeed, everyone wins.The club, the fans, me, the player."

I suppose that is what Sir Alex decided re Eric Cantona.

Now the thing is, its a brave decision by the manager. You can only expect such a decision if the manager has already built a reputation at the club, and feels secure in his role.
  • Options
    KF was obviously being very guarded in his responses. What do you expect him to say. "Tony Watt was a bad influence in the dressing room, especially to the impressionable younger players. He had to go". That's just not going to happen.

I believe there is substance to this and, if so, it was 100% the right decision.

Incidentally, I can't ever remember Killer being a bad influence in the dressing room.
  • Options
    And he scored goals!..
  • Options
    He's already scored more than Reza will in his career here.. no bad word to be said for Watt, the Club knew of his attitude tendencies upon signing him. Loaning him out is a defeat to that, but I'm not surprised Fraeye can't/doesn't want to handle him or Watt doesn't want to be handled by him, so to speak.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:

KF was obviously being very guarded in his responses. What do you expect him to say. "Tony Watt was a bad influence in the dressing room, especially to the impressionable younger players. He had to go". That's just not going to happen.

I believe there is substance to this and, if so, it was 100% the right decision.

Incidentally, I can't ever remember Killer being a bad influence in the dressing room.

Come on. How would you or I ever have known? He and Flash didn't have Twitter accounts, did they?

There has never been anything like that punch up in our lifetimes, has there? And the club made a right pigs ear of it.

• Options
    Well, yes there was that thing with Flash. They were two senior player though duking it out. This is a bit different I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

He's already scored more than Reza will in his career here.. no bad word to be said for Watt, the Club knew of his attitude tendencies upon signing him. Loaning him out is a defeat to that, but I'm not surprised Fraeye can't/doesn't want to handle him or Watt doesn't want to be handled by him, so to speak.

Of course they did but maybe they thought with him going back to the UK, he might get his head down, work hard and grow up. I'm not defending the club but it sounds to me like TW has to get some of the blame if he's continuing to ruin his career by being a prick.

Players can afford to have a bit of Swagger and attitude if they have delivered the goods on a regular basis over the years. Watt breathes out his arse after 15 minutes and that was under a manager he apparently had a close relationship with!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

colin1961 said:

If you read between the lines how the club are wording there statements and even the story from Stephen Henderson about Watt , there was clearly a problem and he had to be moved on

So, just because TW can be a bit "difficult" then you get rid......? Over the years there have been many strikers who have a bit of something different about them, that's what makes them the players they are.......Jeez, if we had Killer nowdays he'd had been shipped off to pastures new before he even got to play, What about players like Di Canio, Gascoigne etc etc ?

Its not even as though he'd been swinging punches around ala Todd & Kiely or sleeping with players wives or mothers. All it takes it a good manger & TW will turn out a decent player but no one seems to have the cohunes to stand by him.
    The clue here is FOOTBALL TEAM. A manager / Coach call it whatever you want has a responsibility to the squad not just an errant player. If the disruption is such that it upsets the team then as KF said it's an easy decision to move a player on.

But that is the point. It's easy. The more difficult decision is "I as the manager of this team, recognise that this guy is a major talent. He's also a difficult ******. But if I succeed, everyone wins.The club, the fans, me, the player."

Now the thing is, its a brave decision by the manager. You can only expect such a decision if the manager has already built a reputation at the club, and feels secure in his role.
    Arguing the contrary view, Brendan Rodgers would have thought the same about Mario Balatelli...

I actually don't think we needed another striker, but another creative midfielder would have been nice, with Callum not back until January and Ceballos not back until ?, we are pretty light in that area.
  • Options

Happy with his squad ---- yes of course you are

Well, he would be. It's better than the one he left behind in Belgium.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    One would have to ask whose decision it was? How many minutes played under Fraeye? No fallouts with boss. Joint top scorer but not ever present and KF admits been playing injured since early season. What are medical staff on? Biggest star since Prem days? Struggling to mark incompetent strikers from Mak, PPP, Reza, George, McALeny while we dump the fan's favourites TWWW & Kerm.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Well then. Let's look at the scant facts we do have.

With Watt part of the squad the teams performances, body language and spirit over the weeks preceding his removal from team selection were to say the least poor.

Since he was not (I presume) considered for selection all of those issues seemed to melt away with two convincing victories.

We have several itk posters hinting that Watt has had a disruptive influence.

We have had several senior players condemning with scant support. I think I'm right in saying that Henderson ? Was quoted as saying of Watt "he's young and will learn" hardly a ringing endorsement.

Sometimes it is best to remove a gangerous finger to save the hand.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Guilty of fitting circumstances to fit your opinion. It is a documented fact he has been playing whilst injured. Are our two wins down to?:-

New manager
    Players returning from injury
    New player input KL TEV THD
    Easier fixtures
    Tony WWW dropped
    Sacking of a useless manager
    Downturns from competitors
  • Options
    It seems that RD’s data analysts have now admitted to a computer malfunction. When the correct algorithm is used it turns out that Watt is a thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Options

Guilty of fitting circumstances to fit your opinion. It is a documented fact he has been playing whilst injured. Are our two wins down to?:-

New manager
    Players returning from injury
    New player input KL TEV THD
    Easier fixtures
    Tony WWW dropped
    Sacking of a useless manager
    Downturns from competitors

You do know how football message boards work... right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Certainly not easier fixtures.
  • Options

And he scored goals!..

Can't be having that...send him to Cardiff !
  • Options
    He wasn't playing, Duchatelet doesn't like paying for players that aren't playing. I wonder if Bergdich will be sold in January.
  • Options
    Hasn't it not been mentioned earlier, that Begdich is having trouble settling in England?. So I guess it would be no surprise if sold...
  • Options

It's a symptom of the mismanagement of communication by the club (nor the comms team I stress) that even when there appears to be a valid reason for moving a player on people are, understandably, reluctant to believe what is being said.

Oh what a tangle web we weave
    When we practice to decieve

As another jock once said.

A lot of fans no longer trust the CEO and so give little credence to club statements.

Managers and even head coaches have always been "economical with the truth" to protect themselves and because they don't want to close the door on a player who might yet return (see Reza) but again the mismanagement of the communication and of KFs appointment mean he isn't being given even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

A "normal" appointment would have been given the usual honeymoon period.

But again when you keep repeating the same mistakes people lose patience.

That seedbed of distrust. It's going to take a lot of commitment, work and patience to turn that around. And some exciting decisions that don't seem loaded towards a break even fantasy.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

It's a symptom of the mismanagement of communication by the club (nor the comms team I stress) that even when there appears to be a valid reason for moving a player on people are, understandably, reluctant to believe what is being said.

Oh what a tangle web we weave
    When we practice to decieve

As another jock once said.

A lot of fans no longer trust the CEO and so give little credence to club statements.

Managers and even head coaches have always been "economical with the truth" to protect themselves and because they don't want to close the door on a player who might yet return (see Reza) but again the mismanagement of the communication and of KFs appointment mean he isn't being given even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

A "normal" appointment would have been given the usual honeymoon period.

But again when you keep repeating the same mistakes people lose patience.

That seedbed of distrust. It's going to take a lot of commitment, work and patience to turn that around. And some exciting decisions that don't seem loaded towards a break even fantasy.
    I hear the sofa is now going to be a three piece suite.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

With Watt part of the squad the teams performances, body language and spirit over the weeks preceding his removal from team selection were to say the least poor.

Since he was not (I presume) considered for selection all of those issues seemed to melt away with two convincing victories.

We have had several senior players condemning with scant support. I think I'm right in saying that Henderson ? Was quoted as saying of Watt "he's young and will learn" hardly a ringing endorsement.

I'm not arguing that TW isn't a problematic personality. I was reporting just that from our Belgian sources when he arrived, (to much CL derision come March) and pointed out earlier that Finchy's post should be taken as especially authoritative.

My point is different. I am asking whether a more experienced manager, and one who is well established and trusted at the club, would be able to address the personality issue and get the best from the player consistently.

Maybe not. We can't know.

However it's worth noting that part of the RD philosophy favours young head coaches, and swapping them frequently. Such young guys may simply not have the personal experience, not the credit in the bank results-wise to take on the challenge.

It's worth noting that we are now on our 3rd very young Head Coach. The one who did get good performances out of Tony Watt, is aged over 50.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

I'm not arguing that TW isn't a problematic personality. I was reporting just that from our Belgian sources when he arrived, (to much CL derision come March) and pointed out earlier that Finchy's post should be taken as especially authoritative.

My point is different. I am asking whether a more experienced manager, and one who is well established and trusted at the club, would be able to address the personality issue and get the best from the player consistently.

Maybe not. We can't know.

However it's worth noting that part of the RD philosophy favours young head coaches, and swapping them frequently. Such young guys may simply not have the personal experience, not the credit in the bank results-wise to take on the challenge.

It's worth noting that we are now on our 3rd very young Head Coach. The one who did get good performances out of Tony Watt, is aged over 50.
    I don't think age has anything to do with it.

You can either manage a stroppy employee or you can't - whether their 21 or 38.