Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Central Midfielder in the world?

Pretty random topic I know but was just thinking about who really is the best nowadays. Up until a year or 2 ago the answer would be a pretty simple Xavi/ Iniesta, but with them getting on a bit I don't think either of them are anymore.
Can be attacking or defensive, for me it's out of (a pretty long list) Fabregas, Silva, Matuidi, Lahm, Vidal, Modric, Kroos, Busquets.
I'm sure I've missed a few out so feel free to add any that I've missed.

Comments

• Options
    Pogba would probably be on the shortlist. Ozil has an impressive assist rate so would be on it as well.
  • Options
    Pogba
  • Options
    Agree on both of them, not too sure on Pogba though. Give it a year or 2 and he'll definitely be up there, now he's among them but I don't think he's the best.
  • Options
    Steven Gerrard
  • Options
    Matic is a great defensive midfielder
  • Options

Matic is a great defensive midfielder

He was world class last season but like most Chelsea players he hasn't been up to scratch this year. For me as an attacking midfielder David Silva is different class.
  • Options
    Iniesta still for me.

Kroos is very good too.
  • Options
    Pogba, Ozil and Modric for me
  • Options
    Not many people on here will think it, but for the fact that not only is he so incredibly as strong with both feet, a technical player in Cazorla is a joy to watch. Same as Alonso the way he plays the game.

Not any real stand out centre midfielder at the moment where you can say, "yes, they're the best".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not even sure who the best CMs in the PL are at the moment!

It's tricky, as teams used to play 442 or 4411 with 2 Central midfielders who would be expected to attack and defend (Vieira and Petit, Keane and Scholes). Now we seem to have more defined defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders, many of which may play wide as well. Ozil, for example seems more of Zidane than a Vieira.

Xavi and Iniesta are great players, but need a team to play in a certain way, you couldn't imagine Xavi or Iniesta coping as well in a team with poorer players around him like Gerrard could do at his peak
  • Options
    A couple of years ago, Yaya Toure must've been up there with the best too. Scoring goals and so powerful in the centre.
  • Options
    Ramsey was on fire for half a season a couple of years ago. He really looked like he was going to kick on to become something special. On that form he was world class.
  • Options
    Also depends whether you define Muller as an attacking midfielder or not.

Similar to say Lahm is a defensive midfielder, as to me he'll always be a right back.
  • Options
    Santi Cazorla is a delight to watch but I do wish arsenal would play him further forward. Kroos is probably the best right now.
  • Options
    Is it Diego Poyet ?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Is difficult to say who the best Central Midfielder is because they're all different...

Taking Charlton as an example (Not saying that any are the best in the World)

i.e. an Attacking Midfielder (Jackson) is great going forward and will score goals, yet they'll be rubbish at Defence, a Box2Box Midfielder (Cousins) will chip in with goals, but not too many whilst they wont be bad Defensively because they'll be making things tick, then you've the Defensive Midfielder (Kashi) who'll be rubbish going forward but'll be perfect sitting in front of the Defence

In terms of World Football I'd say the best were:

Defensive Midfielder: Lahm
    Box2Box Midfielder: Pogba
    Attacking Midfielder: Iniesta
  • Options

Is difficult to say who the best Central Midfielder is because they're all different...

i.e. an Attacking Midfielder (Jackson) is great going forward and will score goals, yet they'll be rubbish at Defence, a Holding Midfielder (Cousins) will chip in with goals, but not too many whilst they wont be bad Defensively because they'll be making things tick, then you've the Defensive Midfielder (Kashi) who'll be rubbish going forward but'll be perfect sitting in front of the Defence

Holding Midfielder: Pogba

In fact I'd say Cousins was a box to box midfielder, the typical British midfielder with lots of energy, and reasonable at most things without being a master at any! At a higher level Jordan Henderson is a typical example. The likes of Keane and Vieira were bob to bob midfielders, but were able to do everything at a World Class level, Bryan Robson being another
  • Options
    It's still Iniesta for me. Modric and Kroos are underrated, Pogba is overrated. Silva is definitely up there. Xabi Alonso at what he does is still one of the best, as is Pirlo, despite playing in the MLS.
  • Options
    Paul scholes still apparently after that David Beckham charity match ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

i.e. an Attacking Midfielder (Jackson) is great going forward and will score goals, yet they'll be rubbish at Defence, a Holding Midfielder (Cousins) will chip in with goals, but not too many whilst they wont be bad Defensively because they'll be making things tick, then you've the Defensive Midfielder (Kashi) who'll be rubbish going forward but'll be perfect sitting in front of the Defence

Holding Midfielder: Pogba

In fact I'd say Cousins was a box to box midfielder, the typical British midfielder with lots of energy, and reasonable at most things without being a master at any! At a higher level Jordan Henderson is a typical example. The likes of Keane and Vieira were bob to bob midfielders, but were able to do everything at a World Class level, Bryan Robson being another
    Yeah sorry... I meant Box 2 Box Midfielder rather than Holding Midfielder (Because whats the difference between Holding and Defensive)
  • Options

Either way if we had these three I'm sure the views on CharltonLife would be...

Why is KF playing Lahm in Midfield he's a bloody Right-Back... Iniesta, you can tell his legs have gone whilst Pogba is no use because he hasnt got any Championship experience!!
    Iniesta's too short and doesn't get stuck in enough...

• Options

Why is KF playing Lahm in Midfield he's a bloody Right-Back... Iniesta, you can tell his legs have gone whilst Pogba is no use because he hasnt got any Championship experience!!

Not to mention they're three European Injury rejects!!
  • Options

Eden Hazard? Another bloody Belgian.
  • Options
    Paul Pogba's drive and power is ferocious and is still technically excellent.

Belgium and Zenits Axcel Witsell, fine all round centre midfielder.

Kroos, Alonso, Modric and Iniesta are all superb aswell.
  • Options

Eden Hazard? Another bloody Belgian.
    Urgh!! Just dont go there...

If we signed Messi that would be a disaster as Argentinians never settle in England, just remember Juan Sebastian Veron!!... Whilst we all know Ronaldo wouldnt be able to do it on a old night in Carlisle so there wont be another promotion up there!!
  • Options
    Marco Verrati
  • Options
    Toni Kronos
    Paul Pogba
    Aaron Ramsay

All 3 of them could play in any team

For the last generation I can't see past Andrea Pirlo
  • Options
    Before he was struck down with ulcerative colitis it was Darren Fletcher