Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Donald Trump and his Mexican Wall.

Comments

• Options
    The cream will always rise to the top eventually big man

As for that crackpot Trump, I reckon he meant Mexican Wave.
  • Options
    Trump on Fox News this morning saying terrorists come across the Mexican border and the wall will be built.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world, around 3,400 US citizens have died in terrorist attacks since 9/11. Around 3,000 of which were on 9/11 itself. That compares with the 400,000 plus Americans that have been killed by other Americans using firearms in the same timeframe.
    Now, Donald, what sort of changes might make the US a safer place?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Trump on Fox News this morning saying terrorists come across the Mexican border and the wall will be built.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world, around 3,400 US citizens have died in terrorist attacks since 9/11. Around 3,000 of which were on 9/11 itself. That compares with the 400,000 plus Americans that have been killed by other Americans using firearms in the same timeframe.

How many of the 400,000 were killed using legally held weapons and how many were killed using illegally held weapons? Just asking
  • Options

cafcfan said:

How many of the 400,000 were killed using legally held weapons and how many were killed using illegally held weapons? Just asking
    A good question. I couldn't find an answer! But in the course of looking I did find out that around 500,000 guns (presumably legally held) are stolen every year.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

A good question. I couldn't find an answer! But in the course of looking I did find out that around 500,000 guns (presumably legally held) are stolen every year.
    Bit of a vicious circle in the US as I see it with most criminals carrying illegally held guns (probably millions in circulation), so a lot of law abiding people wanting to arm themselves legally, then add to that the nutters that manage to get hold of guns legally, then going on killing sprees.

I wonder if the French were allowed to arm themselves and there were a few carriers about, whether the death and casualty rates from Friday woulda been reduced?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Would you count the Sandy Hook massacre as one using "legally held weapons" or "illegally held weapons"?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Bit of a vicious circle in the US as I see it with most criminals carrying illegally held guns (probably millions in circulation), so a lot of law abiding people wanting to arm themselves legally, then add to that the nutters that manage to get hold of guns legally, then going on killing sprees.

I wonder if the French were allowed to arm themselves and there were a few carriers about, whether the death and casualty rates from Friday woulda been reduced?
    Probably. But over the next 5 years hundreds of thousands of French citizens would be killed by gun crime. The evidence of the US experience is undeniable.
  • Options
    Problem in the States, again as I see it, is that it's in a state lol. There are already silly amounts of firearms in circulation and so it is a bit of a free for all now and to be honest, when it's like that, how can you deny someone the right to protect their family and property?
  • Options
    IA said:

cafcfan said:

Would you count the Sandy Hook massacre as one using "legally held weapons" or "illegally held weapons"?
    I'd count that as a nutter with a permit or access to guns that shouldn't have had.
  • Options

IA said:

cafcfan said:

I'd count that as a nutter with a permit or access to guns that shouldn't have had.
    Is that a new category?

I thought there were only two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA said:

IA said:

cafcfan said:

Is that a new category?

I thought there were only two

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

• Options

Problem in the States, again as I see it, is that it's in a state lol. There are already silly amounts of firearms in circulation and so it is a bit of a free for all now and to be honest, when it's like that, how can you deny someone the right to protect their family and property?

But buying a gun isn't defending your family. Even statistic in the US shows that owning a gun massively increases your chances of death. It may makes many feel safer, but the facts suggest the opposite is actually the case.

Much like fear of crime is at an all time high here, but crime rates are at their lowest.
  • Options
    OK so they were legally held.

Don't know if the statistics are out there but might have a look if I have nowt else on.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

You'd likely be humourless too, if you had to deal with what they deal with,

What ? Being American ?

So many on here toss around insults at America and Americans, any chance they get, usually the same posters. My son was born in the U.S., so he's an American, his mother was an American, my partner of the last 18 years is an American. My sister is married to an American and her daughters and grand-daughters are Americans. My employees are Americans as are most of my clients.
    So maybe you could think what you are saying before you toss out your crap on here, just to get a rise out of others of similar ilk, and stick to football, something about which you have a vague chance of having a little knowledge.
    Does make you laugh, you can stereotype and insult millions of people from a certain country but a hint of stereo-typing people of a certain religion and you're jumped on straight away.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    JiMMy 85 said:

how can you deny someone the right to protect their family and property?

When my girlfriend and I were terrorised recently, I had to talk them out of the house. Had I gone for any weapon (I had a pair of nunchaku under the bed) I would have got a crowbar in the face. If I had a gun, I would have probably got two shots off before being beaten to death. Might even have accidentally shot myself or my girlfriend, with the adrenaline pumping and my glasses on the floor.

It's a pretty standard argument, the whole "defend the family" thing, but it's also a very, very stupid one.
    Maybe if someone owns a gun for the reason of defending their property, then they would have some training to go with it and also, maybe it would be stored in an area that is easy for them (as the permit holder) to access it if there is an intruder. Otherwise there's little point in owning it for that purpose is there.

I don't really see why the defend the family thing is a very very stupid argument, seems pretty logical to me Jim

• Options
    I would lock away all possible weapons if he was coming to my house !
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I would lock away all possible weapons if he was coming to my house !

It's okay Granps, I'm fully qualified pal
  • Options
    Why not have a nut job as President, after all he would be presiding over a nation of nut jobs?
  • Options

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

What ? Being American ?

So many on here toss around insults at America and Americans, any chance they get, usually the same posters. My son was born in the U.S., so he's an American, his mother was an American, my partner of the last 18 years is an American. My sister is married to an American and her daughters and grand-daughters are Americans. My employees are Americans as are most of my clients.
    So maybe you could think what you are saying before you toss out your crap on here, just to get a rise out of others of similar ilk, and stick to football, something about which you have a vague chance of having a little knowledge.
    Does make you laugh, you can stereotype and insult millions of people from a certain country but a hint of stereo-typing people of a certain religion and you're jumped on straight away.
    Yeah. Bloody Buddhists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why not have a nut job as President, after all he would be presiding over a nation of nut jobs?

No hope for some, is there?
  • Options

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

What ? Being American ?

Yeah. Bloody Buddhists.

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

What ? Being American ?

Yeah. Bloody Buddhists.
    Many in Myanmar would agree.
  • Options
    Don't laugh. This bloke could become the most powerful man in the world after Roland of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Not a chance. The longer he goes on, the less chance he'll get the nomination. He creates a strange problem for the Republicans. Whilst the media and the frothing-at-the-mouth loons who support him get all the headlines, nobody gives a flying fuck about the actual real candidates (you know, the ones who might actually win an election for them). This means that when he's finally defeated, they're starting from an extremely low point in the public's eyes, with the Democrats having already had a more dignified campaign and having candidates that people will remember.

Irrespective of any of his 'policies', the single fact that he is still there in the race is the biggest problem the Republicans face in winning the election.

ShootersHillGuru say :The voice of reason is often never heard.

• Options
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

What ? Being American ?

Cool story bro.