Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trailists who signed for Charlton

With all the hype going on in regards to the potential signings of Ricardo Vaz Te and Jobi McAnuff, I cant actually remember that many players who have been on trial with the club and have then gone on sign and (most importantly) play for us...?

Alou Diarra and Simon Church spring to mind, whilst Lloyd Doyley has sort of been signed yet hasn't appeared for the First Team

During the early League One days we maybe signed a few trialists but that was because of the threat of Administration so we couldn't really go out and sign any other type of player... Don't know about anyone else but whenever I see the word "trialist" I always end up thinking of Eric Wynalda who almost joined us

Comments

• Stephen Hughes?
  • Stephen Hughes?

He never played for us though did he?
  • Were Diarra, Johnson and Eagles triallists?
  • edited November 2015

Were Diarra, Johnson and Eagles triallists?

Diarra definitely was... think Eagles was as well

With Johnson, didnt we want him and Wolves were just happy to release him from his Contract for us?
  • Pritchard must have been, bearing in mind he was doing the performance analysis before he got given a shirt number and playing contract.

Loved that man.
  • edited November 2015
    PL54 said:

Pritchard must have been, bearing in mind he was doing the performance analysis before he got given a shirt number and playing contract.

Loved that man.

Good call... Bradley Pritchard seems to a forgotten man by Charlton fans these days, rather unfairly in a way

I know the players are slightly old and don't want this turning into another Chris Powell thread but it goes to show that the Midfield that won League One are now at the following:

Scott Wagstaff... Cant get a game for Bristol City despite recent injuries
    Bradley Pritchard... Playing in League Two with Leyton Orient
    Danny Hollands... Playing in League Two with Portsmouth
    Danny Green... Playing in League Two with Luton
    Dale Stephens... With Brighton

Bet the Luton fans etc... were cheering that Danny Green had dropped down the Divisions to join them, but as a team they're not suddenly charging up the League, same with Vaz Te / McAnuff or anyone coming up the Divisions, if they join us then yes age is against them, but one player doesn't make a difference by themselves, instead their qualities can help those around them
  • edited November 2015

PL54 said:

Pritchard must have been, bearing in mind he was doing the performance analysis before he got given a shirt number and playing contract.

Loved that man.

Good call... Bradley Pritchard seems to a forgotten man by Charlton fans these days, rather unfairly in a way
    Came to us as an undergraduate to do some Opta stats and gets a contract - the stuff of (wet) dreams.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015
    Another point to make about Pritchard is that I'm shocked that he's yet to receive a cap for Zimbabwe, especially as their current Midfielders play in Zimbabwe for the likes of Triangle United or Chicken Inn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe_national_football_team#Current_squad
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Kinsella

Almost lost him to Gillingham.
  • Mark Kinsella. John Barnes.
  • Stephen Hughes?

He never played for us though did he?
    I don't think so, but did sign for us after being on trial initially.
  • Most of the South Africans who came to Charlton in the early 50s: John Hewie, Eddie Firmani, etc
  • And the Soothsayer says...
    Carol Fry
  • Chris Eagles and Roger Johnson last season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Stewart?
  • trialists not turn stylists
  • I don't know of any so cannot contribute.
  • trialists not turn stylists

So they didn't give him a trial and just said you're on the turnstile, you must be good enough?
  • Another point to make about Pritchard is that I'm shocked that he's yet to receive a cap for Zimbabwe, especially as their current Midfielders play in Zimbabwe for the likes of Triangle United or Chicken Inn

I see from that link that Danny Phiri plays for Chicken Inn.

Also I wonder if Triangle United get confused if they get more than three corners?
  • iaitch said:

Another point to make about Pritchard is that I'm shocked that he's yet to receive a cap for Zimbabwe, especially as their current Midfielders play in Zimbabwe for the likes of Triangle United or Chicken Inn

I see from that link that Danny Phiri plays for Chicken Inn.

Also I wonder if Triangle United get confused if they get more than three corners?
    I suppose in signing Danny Phiri, he adds a bit of Spice to their midfield