Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After the meeting, I've finally worked out his strategy...

Buy players who have been injured or have under performed their potential shove them into a division where you play a large number of games, hope one or 2 shine, sell them on for profit...

Bring in the youth, hope some shine, sell them on for profit...

If we are there or there about come December splash a bit more money and gamble on potential promotion...

keep all other costs low, cheap mangers who won't kick off at ridiculous strategy...

Rinse and Repeat...

Boring as bat shit... no wonder everyone is leaving and not returning...

He can change his mind and bend the rules to this framework but overall this is a like or lump it strategy...

Comments

• Sadly think your right, but even more sadly believe there will be a huge drop in season ticket sales next season unless something radically changes.
  • We'll never know, as every transfer is undisclosed.
  • Hardly a revelation :)
  • You've only just got this? KM had already explained it several times.....

I think I just didn't want to believe it.... I thought that over time he may have been adjusting things, or upon realising this is the worst plan since an entire people decided to leave their own houses and burn them down... change things
  • Sponsored links:

• As someone has said before they are taking the "moneyball" approach which was successful for the Oakland A's in Major League Baseball. Big difference though is baseball is a game completely based on an individuals stats. They were successful by looking beyond the usual how many home runs someone gets and looking at things like how often someone gets on base and even how often someone draws a walk from a pitcher. They took the tried and tested way of evaluating players and turned it upside down. Doesn't look to me like we are doing that. Everyone looks at stats on footballers along with monitoring them over a period of time.

Southampton already have players on their radar long before they need them. They know good players will move on so they are constantly lining players up for when/if that happens. We seem to be putting all our emphasis on some excel spreadsheet experts in Belgique!
  • mascot88 said:

Buy players who have been injured or have under performed their potential shove them into a division where you play a large number of games, hope one or 2 shine, sell them on for profit...

If we are there or there about come December splash a bit more money and gamble on potential promotion...

keep all other costs low, cheap mangers who won't kick off at ridiculous strategy...

Rinse and Repeat...

He can change his mind and bend the rules to this framework but overall this is a like or lump it strategy...

I really like this interpretation and think you have got it spot on! KM please comment.
  • mascot88 said:

Rinse and Repeat...

Though this man may disagree...

http://www.bookdepository.com/More-Precious-Than-Gold-David-Hollett/9781611473575
  • Sadly think your right, but even more sadly believe there will be a huge drop in season ticket sales next season unless something radically changes.

So will you go to Dartford or even Valley Rovers next season HP?

How many season tickets could you buy with a million quid ?

If he can sell 3 players a year for 3 or 5 million total would that be worth more that 10k STs ?my maths brain has left me for now.
  • And Katrien does the negotiating .....
    And apparently we have spent £9m
    Really on what , is anyone worth much
    Footballing costs up , performances down...
    who has shown Katrien the footballing ropes as she negotiates with other clubs and agents
    A thankless task but if it's all about streamlining costs etc surely you'd like someone with a bit of footballing nous to be doing your wheeling and dealing

Fucking Belgian weirdos

I referenced this on the other thread oohaah. £9m and we're where we were two years ago in terms of league position. It's crazy. If a company spent £9m on whatever, new staff, new computers, a new supply chain process, and the staff couldn't improve productivity, the computers didn't really change how IT contributes to the business and the supply chain was still inefficient and goods were received late etc, does that represent good value for money, NO, should the company owners be called into account, YES.

The problem is RD is only accountable to himself. This is a hobby for him, yet he's running his hobby like a business. We've got the worst of both worlds. He really only should've got involved in this if he was all in. We bleed for this club, it would be a massive gap in our lives if it wasn't there. I don't think he is 'all in', therefore we will go nowhere slowly
  • mascot88 said:

Rinse and Repeat...

As Airman Brown recently put it, so succinctly, RD Farms players.
  • Do you want to pass the strategy thoughts on to Roland... I'm not sure if even he gets it
  • Sponsored links:

• Do you want to pass the strategy thoughts on to Roland... I'm not sure if even he gets it

I don't think he gets football full stop! Everyone in a team is dispensable and interchangeable according to Roly and there seems to be not appreciation of why people attend, or are loyal to Charlton (or any club for that matter).

RD and KM; It's the football stupid! (apps Bill Clinton)

Personally I want to see a good, committed, skilful game of football from a team with at least some sort of ability to compete and progress - RD seems to forget that in addition to all of the complex family, historical and tribal loyalties (which he seems so disdainful about) that football is also fundamentally entertainment - on and off the field it truly is the beautiful game!

In order to make his "player farming" work he needs good football, good crowds and at least the Championship. Again Airman was able to express this with far more detail.

Whether this " model" can work at all without conflicting with the main reasons people support teams and watch football is highly debatable. What is clear however is that RD and KM are clueless about most aspects of the game and running a football club and it sure as hell is this going to work as it is.

KM's awful performance the other day said it all really - think about the last time you started a conversation with a fellow supporter did you talk about scores, the game, form, footballers, or the average transfer fee.
  • If you sell your best players every year, your team will not improve. Your team will be relegated.

It is really very simple and I don't understand how they fail (or refuse!) to grasp the concept.
  • To be honest Joe Gomez was the only player that we sold in the summer... Many of our players that left were out of Contract and werent of the calibre to push us on up the leagues (Simon Church and Lawrie Wilson struggling with MK Dons and Bolton respectively prove this).

As KM has alluded to; this summer we only have five players out of Contract (Diarra / Jackson / Reza are the only ones I can really think of), I expect us to lose Gudmundsson but if we can sign another seven players next summer in the mold of Kashi / Bauer / Sarr etc... the year should be easier.

Another year of losing 20-players, well then the board are just plain stupid!!
  • mascot88 said:

Buy players who have been injured or have under performed their potential shove them into a division where you play a large number of games, hope one or 2 shine sell them on for profit...

Rinse and Repeat...

This could actually be a decent strategy. In fact, I'm not sure that it was a million miles away from what Curbs did on a fair few occasions. These players are a risk; because they are a risk they are heavily discounted. Because the teams competing for the bigger prizes are unwilling to take the risk, the discount is large enough to mean that it could be well worth gambling on finding a bargain. In the real world though, you'll win some and you'll lose some. If you have a squad that is large enough to carry a few duds it could be a good strategy because you may also unearth a few bargains. On the other hand, if you are as tight as arseholes, you'll fail miserably because if you get a dud you won't be able to cover for them. Guess what position we're in!
  • Stig said:

mascot88 said:

Buy players who have been injured or have under performed their potential shove them into a division where you play a large number of games, hope one or 2 shine sell them on for profit...

Rinse and Repeat...

This could actually be a decent strategy. In fact, I'm not sure that it was a million miles away from what Curbs did on a fair few occasions. These players are a risk; because they are a risk they are heavily discounted. Because the teams competing for the bigger prizes are unwilling to take the risk, the discount is large enough to mean that it could be well worth gambling on finding a bargain. In the real world though, you'll win some and you'll lose some. If you have a squad that is large enough to carry a few duds it could be a good strategy because you may also unearth a few bargains. On the other hand, if you are as tight as arseholes, you'll fail miserably because if you get a dud you won't be able to cover for them. Guess what position we're in!
    Keep doing it a couple of times by (possibly) selling one good player each summer means that we might get end up with enough players to ensure that we've got cover for the duds... Like you say, dangerous strategy to play
  • Charlton Alexandra
  • edited November 2015
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Charlton Alexandra

You could well be right.
    I sent a text to my cafc family (all 10 of them)
    Saying the same thing in the 1st week of the takeover.
    It still feels as if he bought the wrong CAFC ?
    His model would work well in League 1 or 2.
    As others have said, break even in the championship and you normally get relegated.

• And Katrien does the negotiating .....
    And apparently we have spent £9m
    Really on what , is anyone worth much
    Footballing costs up , performances down...
    who has shown Katrien the footballing ropes as she negotiates with other clubs and agents
    A thankless task but if it's all about streamlining costs etc surely you'd like someone with a bit of footballing nous to be doing your wheeling and dealing

Fucking Belgian weirdos

I reckon I could sell her 14 chips for £50.