Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Rufus Sacked by Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    Hope he faces up to what he has done and one day in the future returns to visit the valley as a changed man.
  • Options
    Almost seems surreal that such a staunchly religious man and Charlton hero should end up going off the rails like this - doesn't make any sense, if true.
  • Options

purdis said:

Almost seems surreal that such a staunchly religious man and Charlton hero should end up going off the rails like this - doesn't make any sense, if true.

No, because staunchly religious people never rip people off do they?!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2013/11/18/fraud-thriving-in-u-s-churches-but-you-wouldnt-know-it/

The church has been robbing people blind for centuries, Rufus is just the latest in a long line of con men to take advantage of the chronically stupid.
    Sadly, so true. I worked on a case yonks ago involving a Methodist minister who was fleecing his flock. Fortunately, he did time for his crime.
  • Options

purdis said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2013/11/18/fraud-thriving-in-u-s-churches-but-you-wouldnt-know-it/

The church has been robbing people blind for centuries, Rufus is just the latest in a long line of con men to take advantage of the chronically stupid.
    Cynical but point taken - all we can do is air our opinions - doesn't mean we're right.

The good news is that we still have the right to express our opinions in our country and that is a freedom we must staunchly defend.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It's always best to tar everyone with the same brush and concentrate on the bad whilst ignoring the good

Although sticking to the policy of all people are **** till proven otherwise wise is my negative view on humanity , so I'm clearly contradicting myself !
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

purdis said:

Sadly, so true. I worked on a case yonks ago involving a Methodist minister who was fleecing his flock. Fortunately, he did time for his crime.
    You're quite the poet!
  • Options

Although sticking to the policy of all people are **** till proven otherwise wise is my negative view on humanity ,

LOL
    I have this mental image of you Oohaah :wink:
    https://stephenjacks58.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/7.jpg
  • Options

purdis said:

Depends on what you call 'The Church'.

Ever heard the phrase 'wolf in sheep's clothing'?

The church that robs people blind, as you put it, is actually no church at all.
  • Options
    It breaks my heart. I don't know the guy other than the player I saw . I would say he was the best defender ever to put on a Charlton shirt and my favourite all time Charlton player. That play off goal made him a legend!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think my password for getting on here, and other places, incorporates what I always considered an illustrious, glorious, name. Looks loke I've got to make a few changes.

Staggeringly disillusioned with the club, and now my favourite all time player, as well.
  • Options
    Tramp said:

I think my password for getting on here, and other places, incorporates what I always considered an illustrious, glorious, name. Looks loke I've got to make a few changes.

Staggeringly disillusioned with the club, and now my favourite all time player, as well.

Is that how you explained to the mrs why none of your passwords include her or the kids names but all contain "dick"?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options

purdis said:

Know its old news but not the only ex-Charlton Player to go a controversial with religion...

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/former.premier.league.star.turned.pastor.gavin.peacock.criticised.for.tweeting.wives.should.gladly.submit.to.husbands.leadership/45569.htm
  • Options
    Has he actually been sacked or not?
  • Options

Godstone said:

purdis said:

Depends on what you call 'The Church'.

Ever heard the phrase 'wolf in sheep's clothing'?

The church that robs people blind, as you put it, is actually no church at all.
    Oh, please.

This is the same line used time and again by apologists across a range of issues...

"Pedophile Priests aren't proper Priests...."

"Corrupt Policemen are not actually Policemen...."

The religion industry scams people every day of the week in the name of 'The Church' - it's only the scale of fleecing that varies.
    That's a false syllogism. It's like saying, "I was racially abused by a person in the Covered End. Everyone in the Covered End is a Charlton fan. Therefore all Charlton fans are racists."

There are wrong 'uns in the Church. Rufus may or may not be one, but that doesn't imply everyone in the Church is too, or that the Church itself is corrupt.

• Options

purdis said:

Know its old news but not the only ex-Charlton Player to go a controversial with religion...

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/former.premier.league.star.turned.pastor.gavin.peacock.criticised.for.tweeting.wives.should.gladly.submit.to.husbands.leadership/45569.htm
    It's also a misrepresentation. There's no prejudice in suggesting men and women are equal but not the same, and the passage in question talks about a mutual giving of submission not one gender demanding it. It also asks husbands to give themselves up for their wives, also an act of submission - but context doesn't always garner a headline of the impact sought.

There are loads of Christians in the game, as there are Muslims, and plenty of both through Charlton over the years.

But what do I know... ;-)
  • Options
    Legend or not, he should be kicked out on his Aris. Amazed he hasn't been already.
  • Options
    All very sad. I'd understood he was a victim in all this but it doesn't sound much like it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    www.cact.org.uk/news/charlton-athletic-community-trust-statement

Confirmed, at least in part
  • Options
    Gone from both CAFC and CACT according to that statement
  • Options
    More proof if proof is needed that most of those who claim to believe in God actually don't.
  • Options
    Paul Elliott called Richard Rufus the N word and lost not only money
    but his reputation as well, which he is working to restore.
    This whole situation is so bizarre,
    I just hope that Richard was just rubbish at investing the money and they don't prove it's a Ponzi scam, or otherwise the future will be very bleak for one of
    our CAFC Legends.
  • Options
    So sad, one of my all time Charlton hero's.

A small part of me feels like the little kid in the (American) true story on being told his great sporting hero ( Joe DiMagio/or Babe Ruth ? ) had been taking bribes.
    Plaintively cried ' say it aint so Joe' -
  • Options
    Neither. It was Shoeless Joe Jackson.
  • Options
    I assume that this is where the Paul Elliott "N wordgate" all stems from.
  • Options

I just hope that Richard was just rubbish at investing the money and they don't prove it's a Ponzi scam, or otherwise the future will be very bleak for one of
    our CAFC Legends.

Elliott still pitches up in the Directors' area bit in the West Stand though doesn't he. I can't imagine Roof will be invited along anytime soon. Why is Elliott there anyway ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

our CAFC Legends.

Elliott still pitches up in the Directors' area bit in the West Stand though doesn't he. I can't imagine Roof will be invited along anytime soon. Why is Elliott there anyway ?
    To watch the game.
  • Options

our CAFC Legends.

In theory it doesn't matter whether it was an out and out Ponzi or not. At the time the money was allegedly taken he wasn't authorised and if he did accept funds in respect of a regulated activity, like investing or deposit-taking, it is illegal. Full stop.

That's a two-year max sentence straight away without factoring in other issues like making statements either falsely or with a reckless disregard as to the veracity of the statements. Or indeed, merely but dishonestly concealing material facts. That would add another 5 years to the maximum. (If the "authorities" have enough brain power to bring the right charges.)