Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The RSM's Red and White Army - The REAL reason we beat Sheff Weds

Mick Everett ‏@Addickted05 11m11 minutes ago Gillingham, England
Pleased to be involved in getting RSM from Woolwich barracks to give motivational talk to players before game on Saturday He can come again!

In case you haven't heard the story.....

When the soldiers came to the Valley during the week to work out the arrangements for the wreath laying on Saturday one of them said that their Regimental Sargent Major (RSM) was a Charlton fan and would love to have a chat with the players before kick off.

And that's just what he did.

And we all saw what happened.

Comments

• "With the game falling on remembrance weekend, the Charlton squad were given a pre-match talk by a member of the Armed Forces. Something that Makienok says was inspirational.

He said: “He gave us the bigger picture. He said that in the military you have strict instructions that you have to stick to, but the most important thing was teamwork.

“They’re willing to die for their fellow soldiers and teammates. It made a big impact on me and I think it was a very good thing for us to listen to before the game.”
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-simon-makienok-sheffield-wednesday-2792032.aspx#i6TODDHPH7ZILGgF.99
  • Be great to use the RSM whenever he is available.
    Surely RD could make this permenant!
  • He told the players to attack down the left... and then down the right...
  • SE7toSG3 said:

The RSM (Harry), was from Kings Troop RHA, given their ceremonial commitments this week (they fire there 13pdr salutes for the genitalia etc) it was good if then to come down. The three lads he brought along were all members of the Battalion football team, they all thoroughly enjoyed their day and hopefully it was another step to a lasting connection between our local resident regiments and the club.

Well done Mick for proposing it and for the team for embrassing it.

The genitalia ?
  • edited November 2015
    SE7toSG3 said:

The RSM (Harry), was from Kings Troop RHA, given their ceremonial commitments this week (they fire there 13pdr salutes for the genitalia etc) it was good if then to come down. The three lads he brought along were all members of the Battalion football team, they all thoroughly enjoyed their day and hopefully it was another step to a lasting connection between our local resident regiments and the club.

@SE7toSG3 do you know any more of what he said and is Harry his forename or surname?
  • Get him on Charlton Life to give a bit of a pep talk.....
  • Sponsored links:

• He told the players to attack down the left... and then down the right...

But NOT to go over the top...
  • edited November 2015
    I thought the players' boots looked extra shiny when they ran out
  • Can we swap Katrien for the Regimental Goat?
    He obeys orders and knows nothing about football. Perfect! ;-)
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Jesus...that sounds bloody painful!!!! :worried:
  • SE7toSG3 said:

His first name is Harry, I know he didn't just shout and threaten them with his pay stick, it was more motivational stuff about teamwork, mistakes in the forces having consequences, understanding the commanders intent (manager/captain not RD before anyone picks up on that) and playing for us (the supporters) and each other, pretty ch what Jacko said a week or so ago but meaning it!

They certainly seemed to respond and in fact TWWW came up and thanked him at half time.

Cheers Clive, excellent article in the programme too BTW
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Thanks @TelMc32

Brilliant spell check on the phone from Cenotaph to Genetalia! That doesn't reflect my search history

That old chesnut
  • I will have a chuckle next time I read about someone defacing the Cenotaph.