Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Makienok reveals why diamond system made Charlton Athletic sparkle

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=114376&headline=Simon Makienok reveals why diamond system made Charlton Athletic sparkle&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015

Yet another SLP article well worth a read, Mak talks about how the formation worked. (I haven't seen it posted elsewhere)
One bit highlights something which I think has been a major issue for us this season
He puts his struggles down to the fact he hardly played any football for Palermo last season after his move to Italy didn’t work out. "I got thrown into this league playing 90 minutes every game,” he said. “I got to a great fitness in pre-season and felt I started the season well, but I wasn’t ready for games Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday.
A lot of our summer signings had little experience of the intensity and number of games in the Championship. Hopefully as they get used to it, we'll get more performances like Saturday's

Comments

• RobRob
    edited November 2015
    He doesn't mention the real reason in that. He didn't have sex for a week. Ask his missus.
  • Sounds like the players figured out what the manager couldn't, the right formation for the players on hand and healthy. SM also confirms that players are coming back to play before ready, after an injury, their lack of match readiness when they came on board, and the "thinness" of the squad.
  • Rob said:

He doesn't mention the real reason in that. He didn't have sex for a week. Ask his missus.

He did admit he can't perform every Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday
  • Just goes to show how important depth in the squad is. Hope this Yann rumour is true as having two big men in the squad would really help are chances and help us get poor out of Mak when he does play
  • Was really surprised that Sheffield Wednesday didnt bring Nuhiu on to try and handle Makienok, those two having a battle in the Charlton penalty area (During any corners for them) would have been brilliant to watch
  • Just goes to show how important depth in the squad is. Hope this Yann rumour is true as having two big men in the squad would really help are chances and help us get poor out of Mak when he does play

It's just just the size but the makeup. We signed a number of young foreign players who've struggled with the Championship.

If we had the SAME size squad, but it was all made up of experienced Championship pros, I'm sure we wouldn't have got all the injuries that we've had. If you break a bone or do your cruciate, that's bad luck, but most of our injuries aren't like that, they're those annoying strains and knocks that seem to keep our players out for weeks or months. I remember plenty of previous squads which were no larger than our current one, but players managed to play all season without these minor injuries, because their bodies were more battle hardened.
  • Rob said:

So his wife says, which must be disappointing for her
  • Interesting he did not back the manager to get the job permanently as such.

Is this because he does not rate him but cant actually say that or he knows someone else is coming in?
  • Sponsored links:

• Also he does not seem to actually credit the manager with the decision to change to a diamond.
  • Also he does not seem to actually credit the manager with the decision to change to a diamond.

Maybe because it would be called "stating the obvious"
  • Great player - would love him to come in permanently
  • Named in Champ team of the week...well done, big Mak.

Gudmundsson got into this one as well...

• The last game we won before Saturday, was Makienok's last full game.

The first time he plays the full 90 mins, we win.

Coincidence ? Absolutely not. He's a vital player for us.

Not forgetting that for 25 minutes against SheffW he moved glacially slowly, was nowhere near the box when we had useful possession and looked like he was gonna have a monumental stinker. He tucked his goal away in very adept fashion and the Big Dane of the 2nd half was unrecognisable from the useless chump of the first quarter. Credit also needs to go to Reza's busy nuisance value, he kept wednesday's (admittedly pony) defenders occupied and uncertain (in a way Tony Watt needs to embrace) which gave tBD space to get his sh!t together.
  • Named in Champ team of the week...well done, big Mak.

Well I think it's nice that we're supplying the continental superstars to the Championship team of the week
  • Fumbluff said:

Named in Champ team of the week...well done, big Mak.

Well I think it's nice that we're supplying the continental superstars to the Championship team of the week
    Pitman is from Jersey? ;)

Is this because he does not rate him but cant actually say that or he knows someone else is coming in?

I think Simon is just very good at media platitudes, no doubt why they had him to that interview for the website a couple of weeks ago. He's not applying any pressure either way regarding Fraeye but reassuring everyone that regardless of who's in charge the team will be working hard. He's got a career in politics after this if he keeps it up
  • edited November 2015

Also he does not seem to actually credit the manager with the decision to change to a diamond.

Maybe because it would be called "stating the obvious"
    If you say so, I don't think that is the case but maybe I am looking into his comments to much.
  • Sponsored links:

I think Simon is just very good at media platitudes, no doubt why they had him to that interview for the website a couple of weeks ago. He's not applying any pressure either way regarding Fraeye but reassuring everyone that regardless of who's in charge the team will be working hard. He's got a career in politics after this if he keeps it up
    Agreed, he's quite an eloquent speaker and it's no surprise the club wheel people like him and Jackson out for tough interviews

Likeable chap isn't he?

Clearly a really important player for us and that lovely pass to Fox in the build up to the third shows he isn't all about aerial ability. How many assists now?

Reminds me a bit of Iwelumo in that given the wrong service, like Iwelumo tended to get here, he will not score very often at all, but given the right service, like Mak got a bit more of on Saturday and Iwelumo got at Wolves, he can and will score goals.

Also, the more natural partner for a big fella like him is someone who will play off defenders' shoulders and work the channels because they will stretch teams and give Mak a bit more room. Having a midfielder operate higher up the pitch, closer to him for layoffs etc helps too. I think Watt is probably least suited of all our forwards to play with him, but KAG is so young, and Reza and Igor have been injured.

Watt's been badly off form but I think he's been trying too hard to make stuff happen and has tended to try and force situations and tended to end up over doing it. The talent is still there, but I really hope Reza and Mak can push on as a pair from here and allow Watt a spell on the bench as an impact sub to hopefully play with a bit more freedom in a side getting results and rediscover his mojo.
  • edited November 2015

Rob said:

Something suspicious. To be performing three times in one week, you'd have to be expecting a birthday, anniversary and Christmas, but his birthday isn't until the 21st November, Christmas is next month and no idea when his anniversary is. Poor lad is only 24, he needs to pace himself.
  • Good comments @Exiled_Addick... Mentioning Chris Iwelumo reminds me how many free-kicks we'd give away whenever he played, Makienok on the other hand rarely makes any fouls and has the ability to either miss completely (Not putting him down when I say this / win the ball / get Charlton the free-kick

Yes I thought that was interesting. Was it Euell, or even Jacko who suggested it? I'd like to know where the credit lies.