Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Euell

Let's just say that at the end of this so-called 'process', Jason Euell was made 'head coach'. Am I the only one who would look at that and laugh at it's ridiculousness and hypocriscy? A little over 18 months ago we sacked Chris Powell, or rather this owner did, and potentially in that time it would mean we would have come full circle back and dropped down further in my opinion. I love Euelly and he's undoubtedly got great coaching potential but he's massively inexperienced at any senior level and is still learning all the trades of football management, not just coaching. I hope and I'm sure he'll get there one day but physically he can't be ready now, when we appointed Powell he had over five years experience as a head first team coach at Leicester, he'd served as a temporary manager and he was still learning when he came to the football club and still is know, which is something a lot of supporters didn't seem to get shortly before he was fired.

Euell would probably have tactically very good games as he's not long retired a player himself, giving his knowledge a sharp edge there, but he'd also get slaughtered by managers and coaches with more experience and I fear it would be a disaster teetering on the Powell exit and I wouldn't want to see that happen to yet another former Charlton player who gave great service and loyalty to the club and also to a prospective young (black as well, and the lack of them is a problem) coach.

It would also likely serve to RD as an opportunity to further increase his foolish mandate at the club. Have Euelly as HC, cheap option, get a director of football in to control his transfer remit ( a system which always works so well!) and to support the "young" coach. It would also make RD look a tool to everyone else but himself as we may as well have just kept Powell, it would have saved us a lot of time and probably a lot of trouble! As much as on the surface I'd love to see someone like Euell in charge now, I fear it would be as concerning an appointment as another GL or KF but for different reasons. Knowing the players and understanding the club is always an advantage but it's not nearly enough, Powell found that out as soon as the club ran out of transfer money and things behind the scenes started to shake it was a very difficult job and even he's not at the day yet where he can completely grasp that.

Comments

• Better start another thread
  • So you're complaining there aren't enough black coaches and then creating a massive post saying you don't want Euell given the job because of his lack of experience? Slight contradiction there.

Powell's first management job was with us and he won a title in his first full season. Euell has at least been managing at a youth level at the club. All managers have to start somewhere and Euell would at least understand the club ethos and has knowledge and experience of the Championship. I'm not saying I want Euell, I'd like Pearson as long as QPR don't get in there first, but your argument appears to be that Euell isn't physically fit enough(?!?!?) to be Charlton manager and he might win some matches and lose some matches. Or he might be sacked. Well if you feel that way we may as well not get anyone in as every manager wins, loses and gets sacked. I think if I were Jason Euell I'd be fairly insulted that some bloke on a forum reckons he knows that I can't 'completely grasp' the reality of managing Charlton. You seem to have a fairly encyclopaedic knowledge of the situation though, why don't you apply?

It's just an insane post this. If we employ Euell, we may as well not have sacked Powell? What? We didn't keep Powell, and now we need a new head coach. Euell is not the same person as Powell. Madness.
  • He's been gone too long.
  • So you're complaining there aren't enough black coaches and then creating a massive post saying you don't want Euell given the job because of his lack of experience? Slight contradiction there.

Powell's first management job was with us and he won a title in his first full season. Euell has at least been managing at a youth level at the club. All managers have to start somewhere and Euell would at least understand the club ethos and has knowledge and experience of the Championship. I'm not saying I want Euell, I'd like Pearson as long as QPR don't get in there first, but your argument appears to be that Euell isn't physically fit enough(?!?!?) to be Charlton manager and he might win some matches and lose some matches. Or he might be sacked. Well if you feel that way we may as well not get anyone in as every manager wins, loses and gets sacked. I think if I were Jason Euell I'd be fairly insulted that some bloke on a forum reckons he knows that I can't 'completely grasp' the reality of managing Charlton. You seem to have a fairly encyclopaedic knowledge of the situation though, why don't you apply?

It's just an insane post this. If we employ Euell, we may as well not have sacked Powell? What? We didn't keep Powell, and now we need a new head coach. Euell is not the same person as Powell. Madness.

I'm not sure if you've misread my post, or you don't get it. Just appointing black coaches isn't providing a stable future for black managers and coaches, you have to give them the platform to grow and develop in the game. The point I was making that I wouldn't want to see any inexperienced coach who has the potential to be successful, especially not a black one as there are so far, be put in ahead of his days because of poor directorship and then have a potentially good coaching career stubbed out early because of somebody else's poor decision-making. I don't get what's so difficult to understand about that.

Powell's first 'management' job was technically with Leicester, albeit only two games. He was also senior first team coach and then assistant, a role Euell has only just got his feet wet in. All managers do start somewhere but that those get the right time and go through the right levels make more successful coaches and for far longer. I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to physical fitness, every manager does win, draw and lose, the ball has air in it too, but that's not my point. How you build longevity is with a manager who is ready to take on the role and grow his learning, rather than learn it all on the job with very little, even, first-team coaching experience behind him.

Who said anything about Euell and Powell being the same person, what are you harping on about? I'm talking about levels of experience and how crucial they are to the success rate of managers and coaches, especially at this level. I would apply, but I didn't fall over and hit my head and I quite like my boss, which is more than what I can say for Charlton right now.
  • I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do. I would like to know who was behind yesterday's formation too. If it was Freye, I think he deserves another few games. If it was Euell, make the bloke manager now!

I'm not sure if you've misread my post, or you don't get it. Just appointing black coaches isn't providing a stable future for black managers and coaches, you have to give them the platform to grow and develop in the game. The point I was making that I wouldn't want to see any inexperienced coach who has the potential to be successful, especially not a black one as there are so far, be put in ahead of his days because of poor directorship and then have a potentially good coaching career stubbed out early because of somebody else's poor decision-making. I don't get what's so difficult to understand about that.

Powell's first 'management' job was technically with Leicester, albeit only two games. He was also senior first team coach and then assistant, a role Euell has only just got his feet wet in. All managers do start somewhere but that those get the right time and go through the right levels make more successful coaches and for far longer. I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to physical fitness, every manager does win, draw and lose, the ball has air in it too, but that's not my point. How you build longevity is with a manager who is ready to take on the role and grow his learning, rather than learn it all on the job with very little, even, first-team coaching experience behind him.

Who said anything about Euell and Powell being the same person, what are you harping on about? I'm talking about levels of experience and how crucial they are to the success rate of managers and coaches, especially at this level. I would apply, but I didn't fall over and hit my head and I quite like my boss, which is more than what I can say for Charlton right now.
    No, I read your post properly, it's just silly. You said that appointing Euell would be just like going back to Powell, even though they are completely different people and we don't know what Euell's management style would be like. You reckon experience is crucial to the success of managers. Let's look at that shall we? Eddie Howe's first management job was with Bournemouth and he took them from relegation certs with a transfer embargo to a competitive League One team. He's now managing in the Premier League. Alex Neil only started managing in 2013 as a player-manager in the Scottish first division. Guess where he is now? Dougie Freedman had hardly any coaching experience when he was handed the role at Palace and he took them up into the Playoff spots. Gary Rowett is knocking on the door of the Championship playoffs having had next to no experience before getting the Burton job and then quickly jumping up the divisions to Birmingham. Sean Dyche was u18 coach at Watford before being promoted to assisstant manager and then manager. He took Burnley up to the Premier League. I think you're just obsessed with experience regardless of any context. That's a silly way to be.

The reason I referred to physical fitness is because you wrote 'I hope and I'm sure he'll get there one day but physically he can't be ready now'. Apparently you don't think he's physically ready for the role. Your words.

Look, I get what you're saying, that you don't think Euell should get the job because he's not experienced, but all the guff around it about black managers and taking us back to the days of Powell and how Euell would win some games but also lose some is just nonsense. Condense.

No, I read your post properly, it's just silly. You said that appointing Euell would be just like going back to Powell, even though they are completely different people and we don't know what Euell's management style would be like. You reckon experience is crucial to the success of managers. Let's look at that shall we? Eddie Howe's first management job was with Bournemouth and he took them from relegation certs with a transfer embargo to a competitive League One team. He's now managing in the Premier League. Alex Neil only started managing in 2013 as a player-manager in the Scottish first division. Guess where he is now? Dougie Freedman had hardly any coaching experience when he was handed the role at Palace and he took them up into the Playoff spots. Gary Rowett is knocking on the door of the Championship playoffs having had next to no experience before getting the Burton job and then quickly jumping up the divisions to Birmingham. Sean Dyche was u18 coach at Watford before being promoted to assisstant manager and then manager. He took Burnley up to the Premier League. I think you're just obsessed with experience regardless of any context. That's a silly way to be.

The reason I referred to physical fitness is because you wrote 'I hope and I'm sure he'll get there one day but physically he can't be ready now'. Apparently you don't think he's physically ready for the role. Your words.

Look, I get what you're saying, that you don't think Euell should get the job because he's not experienced, but all the guff around it about black managers and taking us back to the days of Powell and how Euell would win some games but also lose some is just nonsense. Condense.
    It's strange to start a post by calling it silly and then ending it by saying you understand where I am coming from.

You are surely aware I am not speaking literally in terms of Powell and Euell, I am talking about the direction of managerial appointments that the club has been moving in. Experience isn't solely in management, it's in coaching and with the right time you are going to get better results. Howe is an anomaly to the rule and one who struggled for success outside of Bournemouth anyway. Neil is a manager who will struggle to set in long-term, Freedman has been on a steady decline since Palace and once the pressure upped and the role changed, Rowett had plenty of preevious coaching experience and Dyche did too and went through the very system I'm encouraging we use for Euell!

Physically in the respects of the demands it will have on him a human perspective, and mentally. Fitness is irrelevant.

You've missed the point again regarding black managers, it's about not making their development harder than it already is. It's a popular standpoint out there, take it as you will.

It's strange to start a post by calling it silly and then ending it by saying you understand where I am coming from.

You are surely aware I am not speaking literally in terms of Powell and Euell, I am talking about the direction of managerial appointments that the club has been moving in. Experience isn't solely in management, it's in coaching and with the right time you are going to get better results. Howe is an anomaly to the rule and one who struggled for success outside of Bournemouth anyway. Neil is a manager who will struggle to set in long-term, Freedman has been on a steady decline since Palace and once the pressure upped and the role changed, Rowett had plenty of preevious coaching experience and Dyche did too and went through the very system I'm encouraging we use for Euell!

Physically in the respects of the demands it will have on him a human perspective, and mentally. Fitness is irrelevant.

You've missed the point again regarding black managers, it's about not making their development harder than it already is. It's a popular standpoint out there, take it as you will.
    You have to realise this sentence is literally meaningless right? What on earth are you trying to say? Can anyone decipher that?

You have to realise this sentence is literally meaningless right? What on earth are you trying to say? Can anyone decipher that?
    I just ran that pass 3 buddies who got thrown out of Mensa for being too bright,
    and all 3 thought it was Bullshit with bells on.
    Dropped a clanger there northdevonisred.

• Sponsored links:

I used Google to translate it to Arabic, then Finnish, then Mongolian, then into English. This is my usual method of unlocking truth. I think it's fairly clear.

"Generally, the spiritual part is at the point of view of humanitarian needs. Fitness does not make sense."