Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Week That Was: 8th November 2009 Northwich Victoria 1 Charlton 0

Proper Low this one. 29 years since we played In the first round and we lose to a team 76 places below us, to a goal from a part time barman. And live on National telly

Anyone go? From the Mail:

Charlton were little short of a disgrace and were clearly not interested in fronting up on a cold and blustery day in a passionate stadium situated next to a cement works.

They offered nothing throughout the game and could have lost by many more than the single goal.

Comments

• This one features in BDL's forthcoming book " Fancy Northwich,mate?" one man's account of how he dragged his pal to various parts of the country to watch Charlton lose.;-)
    As our lads piled off the team bus, laughing as though it was a day out, I had that awful sinking feeling....
    We built some memories that day :-)
  • I might be wrong but didn't McLeod wipe out one of theirs with a nasty forearm smash?
  • 1StevieG said:

I might be wrong but didn't McLeod wipe out one of theirs with a nasty forearm smash?

Yep. Straight after half time I think. Ref missed it, otherwise it would have been a straight red.
  • The best thing about that game was thread where Northwich's rivals offered their car park and bar facilities to us.
  • awful game, I was sitting quite close to Parky and remember giving him a few verbals
  • MrOneLung said:

The best thing about that game was thread where Northwich's rivals offered their car park and bar facilities to us.

Witton Albion, I took up their parking offer.
    It was indeed the best thing about that day.
  • Probably worthy of a new thread: 'low points watching CAFC'. I put this right up there with Ipswich Boxing Day 2012 and the FA Cup defeat at Sheffield United.
  • Yep, I was there & didn't think we could get much lower than our recent woeful form (yesterday excepted of course). Looking at the line-up though you have to Parky some stick..........I don't remember him taking Bradford to Chelsea playing 1 up front & 5 in defence - who did he think we were playing that day, Barcelona ???! God, we've had some numpty's as manager !!

Thought of this game Friday night when watching McLeod making his usual 1st round exit to a lower league team.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015

Yep, I was there & didn't think we could get much lower than our recent woeful form (yesterday excepted of course). Looking at the line-up though you have to Parky some stick..........I don't remember him taking Bradford to Chelsea playing 1 up front & 5 in defence - who did he think we were playing that day, Barcelona ???! God, we've had some numpty's as manager !!

Thought of this game Friday night when watching McLeod making his usual 1st round exit to a lower league team.

To be fair, he was playing pretty much the same team and formation that had put us near the top of the league at that point.

Watched the match on TV though, and it was so depressing.
  • Why did you let me talk you into it @3Blokes ?

Did we ever find out if Witton Albion had a Jacuzzi on their roof?

..and what happened to the Vics?
  • Least we can concentrate on the League now
  • one of our most depressing results ever, remember watching it in the pub sunday lunchtime after playing
  • BDL said:

Why did you let me talk you into it @3Blokes ?

Did we ever find out if Witton Albion had a Jacuzzi on their roof?

..and what happened to the Vics?

You're bigger than me! ;-)
  • edited November 2015
    The irony is we had some decent players in that line up that I would take in our squad now!

Shelvey
    Bailey (at the age he was then)
    Dailly (at the age he was then)
    Randolph

Then you look at some of the others and then you remember......
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/10686741506

Also available is the Teamsheet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/10686762164

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • @Carl Leaburn Have you joined the Charlton Life Flickr pool ;-) (plug plug)

@3Blokes That may be so, but you could have tried!

Watching McLeod against Salford on Friday night, he just wasn't interested. Exactly the same attitude he had that day.
  • Don't want to worry anyone but Northwich are still in this season's FA Cup although they have a replay to negotiate.

• BDL said:

@Carl Leaburn Have you joined the Charlton Life Flickr pool ;-) (plug plug)

Watching McLeod against Salford on Friday night, he just wasn't interested. Exactly the same attitude he had that day.

Next time you suggest it, I'm going to say I'm busy doing my hair, and if that doesn't give you a big enough hint with my copious locks (ahem) then I don't know what will..;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Who, honestly, would have watched that team and thought to themselves, "well at least eight of those players are good enough to play for their country?"

Sam Sodje, Christian Dailly and Deon Burton were already full internationals; Darren Randolph, Kelly Youga, JonJo Shelvey, Lloyd Sam and Therry Racon all went on to play for their countries.
  • Is it true that this was the first time Charlton had ever lost to non-league team in a competitive game?
    National humiliation.
  • Sadly, beating us was as good as it got for the Vics - they hit big financial problems (not helped by the FA not paying them their cup run money for a year), got evicted from the Victoria Ground, booted out of the Conference, almost booted out of the Northern Premier League. A load of fans set up a breakaway team, 1874 Northwich, which now plays in the league below them.

The Vics are now playing at Witton Albion's ground, which made me do a double-take when I saw the highlights at the weekend.

That was a strange day. I remember a load of Charlton fans singing "we pay your benefits" and a steward turning to me and saying "well, actually this part of Cheshire has the highest average wage outside the south-east..."
  • Is it true that this was the first time Charlton had ever lost to non-league team in a competitive game?
    National humiliation.

First and only occasion
    iaitch said:

Don't want to worry anyone but Northwich are still in this season's FA Cup although they have a replay to negotiate.

Hopefully they get Welling in the 2nd Round who take revenge for us, thus in turn setting up a great local derby with Charlton in the Third Round
  • edited November 2015
    I was not only angry at the team but the one sided biased ITV commentary that day was infuriating.

Still feel rage at the thought of Peter Drury letting out that contrived line at the final whistle - 'Northwich VICTORIOUS'.

Oh my god I'm wound up just thinking about it
  • It really could have been a lot worse - Randolph was comfortably our best player despite his howler for the goal.
  • Sadly, beating us was as good as it got for the Vics - they hit big financial problems (not helped by the FA not paying them their cup run money for a year), got evicted from the Victoria Ground, booted out of the Conference, almost booted out of the Northern Premier League. A load of fans set up a breakaway team, 1874 Northwich, which now plays in the league below them.

The Vics are now playing at Witton Albion's ground, which made me do a double-take when I saw the highlights at the weekend.

That was a strange day. I remember a load of Charlton fans singing "we pay your benefits" and a steward turning to me and saying "well, actually this part of Cheshire has the highest average wage outside the south-east..."

I noticed that as well. There's now two northwichs.
    I did smile to myself remembering that cheeky Whitton fan on Charlton life. It must be sickening having to play home games at Whitton.
  • BDL said:

@Carl Leaburn Have you joined the Charlton Life Flickr pool ;-) (plug plug)

How much did we get for him when he left?

The £1.5m outlay was a pretty poor investment whatever the return.