Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton in adversity, I think we have got our Charlton back

'We want our Charlton back' was the chant and I thought that for much of the time i've been supporting the team since the 1960's what we are seeing now has been the norm, more or less, and when it looks like we've got our backs to the wall we start to turn it around...bad run of results ?, issues with the ownership ?, low home crowds ?, big away following ? Cue noisy home end and a big, spirited performance by Charlton...

Comments

• User name says enough for me .We are still travelling UP HILL.
  • Does this mean Roly can stay? ........lollllll
  • Got our Charlton back ? Because of a 3-1 win ? Yep, that makes everything rosy then doesn't it.

Ok it doesn't make everything rosy but on the opposite side every time we lose its not a catastrophe.

• edited November 2015
    I respect the feelings of a long time supporter and them good old days than to knock this post.
    Just the days of 10p match day magazine and 50p to get through the turnstiles, not forgetting the Percy Dalton roasted peanut seller roaming the stands, and a few good results, to keep us happy, beating Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham, and Brian Clough's famous Nottingham Forest side in their promotion year at the Valley are a thing of the past.
    The idea of top football at the Valley was given to us, and our new generation of future life long supporters which demand more than the old acceptance of things, and rightly so.
    This club sits on a good basis to accommodate top football, those fans will demand it, and any owner of this club must have a solidarity with its supporters. One good result should not in anyway let RD and KM off the hook, only those who 'invest' and trust in the coaching staff it employs with a unity succeed.
    No more rose tinted glasses here Sir.
  • edited November 2015
    I've no problem whatsoever with anybody knocking my posts...the point of this one was Charlton, like 90% or more of the clubs in the top 2 flights and 100% of the clubs below that, are only ever going to have an occasional 'good' season, no matter what facilities, fans expectations or money that's thrown at the team...what's happening now at the club is the norm... That's football...'we want our Charlton back ' ? We've got it...what we really should be chanting is we want that Charlton that won promotion to the premier league, or stayed there or Chris Powell's record breaking promotion season...
  • Regardless of the good result on the pitch, we need a change of ownership again.

The current lot are not bothered by our history or the fans in general, and the word "Club" does not carry the same meaning with RD as it does with us.

My guess at RD strategy is to find local footballers for the academy and sell them for profit.
    The £10m a year (or whatever it costs to run CAFC) can be recovered with just one sale.

Everything else that goes on is just a side-issue.

How we achieve this change and who would buy us ?
    That is the £30m question.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

Got our Charlton back ? Because of a 3-1 win ? Yep, that makes everything rosy then doesn't it.

Ok it doesn't make everything rosy but on the opposite side every time we lose its not a catastrophe.

Exactly. But after one loss, no-one cries that they want their Charlton back. People are more hacked off with our set up and it's contributory factor in us not winning since August.
  • edited November 2015
    I broke my boycott to join in the protests but it was clear from the limited protests outside and the complete lack of any in the ground from what I saw from lower west, that the old Charlton may be beyond saving as those that go are largely completely devoid of any thoughts of change. Majority just say better the devil or seem to think it is all about a few results. Davidson's comments sum that up for the majority I think ie "it is not Miere's fault that Cousins can't pass."
    And even the protestors were too peaceful. Some overnight posters on here show that lack of backbone too.

I had forgotten that my boycott was not just about the owners, it was also because I couldn't stomach sitting with the majority there that support them by going or working for them. My mistake was I thought protest could get the old Charlton back. Cruella's laughs showed that on only that thing we are in agreement.

Back to the boycott.
  • 'We want our Charlton back' is an interesting theology given how many of our supporters thought it was the second coming when RD bought the club. Because the modern era English football fan thinks everybody can be some form of Man City if their owner is vastly rich to whatever degree, and because they've played too much Football Manager whilst spanking off to Cheryl Cole's theme-tune, they all buy into it from the get-go and back every single decision. Look how many sold out on Powell after everything he'd done for us on the opposite end of the spectrum, they backed those decisions and like a lot of this ownership things haven't worked out because of the lack of experience and stability and now everyone "wants their Charlton back", yet most of these pre-teen former Arsenal fans (yes North Lower, I'm looking at you!) couldn't tell you what made Charlton in the first place anyway.

It doesn't mean different things to different fans, it makes sense to about 30% of us and the rest are just crowd-surfing the anger and trying to pretend they weren't all big fans of RD 18 months ago.
  • If we are going to achieve our aims of regime change it will have to be a long and organised campaign. Yesterday was fairly disorganised but it was only the start.
  • kentred2 said:

I broke my boycott to join in the protests but it was clear from the limited protests outside and the complete lack of any in the ground from what I saw from lower west, that the old Charlton may be beyond saving as those that go are largely completely devoid of any thoughts of change. Majority just say better the devil or seem to think it is all about a few results. Davidson's comments sum that up for the majority I think ie "it is not Miere's fault that Cousins can't pass."
    And even the protestors were too peaceful. Some overnight posters on here show that lack of backbone too.

I had forgotten that my boycott was not just about the owners, it was also because I couldn't stomach sitting with the majority there that support them by going or working for them. My mistake was I thought protest could get the old Charlton back. Cruella's laughs showed that on only that thing we are in agreement.

Back to the boycott.

To be fair given it was the first protest aimed at the current regime I thought it was quite an impressive turnout and i'm sure if and when the next protest takes place there would be just as many people turning out and probably more who avoided this one for whichever reason. I wasn't at the protest I was inside the ground at 2.30pm and could quite clearly hear the protests and chants going on from my seat in the North Upper.

As for protesting inside the ground the players have made it quite clear the booing affects them even if it's not aimed at them so the protests rightly took place outside the ground while inside the ground it should be all about getting behind the team. If you want to protest inside the ground then wear black and white so it's something visible rather than booing.

I'm not sure what you were expecting to see yesterday, KM strangled by a tartan blanket forced into signing her resignation? The protest gained the attention of the media and KM which no doubt will now have the attention of RD which is probably about as effective as it could have been yesterday.
    I am not sure how much media attention you are aware of all I have read was four lines in the Observer yesterday. FC United's yet to take place protest has received more press attention.
  • waldo said:

kentred2 said:

Back to the boycott.

To be fair given it was the first protest aimed at the current regime I thought it was quite an impressive turnout and i'm sure if and when the next protest takes place there would be just as many people turning out and probably more who avoided this one for whichever reason. I wasn't at the protest I was inside the ground at 2.30pm and could quite clearly hear the protests and chants going on from my seat in the North Upper.

As for protesting inside the ground the players have made it quite clear the booing affects them even if it's not aimed at them so the protests rightly took place outside the ground while inside the ground it should be all about getting behind the team. If you want to protest inside the ground then wear black and white so it's something visible rather than booing.

I'm not sure what you were expecting to see yesterday, KM strangled by a tartan blanket forced into signing her resignation? The protest gained the attention of the media and KM which no doubt will now have the attention of RD which is probably about as effective as it could have been yesterday.
    I am not sure how much media attention you are aware of all I have read was four lines in the Observer yesterday. FC United's yet to take place protest has received more press attention.
    It was mentioned in The Sun's match report yesterday and in today's paper. I've not checked any other newspaper but tabloids don't get much bigger than The Sun regardless people's opinions of them.
  • Proper having our Charlton back is upper mid-table prem footy and 27K at home with the odd England international player right?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Proper having our Charlton back is upper mid-table prem footy and 27K at home with the odd England international player right?

Unbelievably depressing post
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

Proper having our Charlton back is upper mid-table prem footy and 27K at home with the odd England international player right?

No Mate, punching, and extremely fortunate to have witnessed it in our lifetime.

We are a Mid to Play off Championship club.

Anything else is a bonus.

That's my view so no pelters please.

• waldo said:

kentred2 said:

Back to the boycott.

It was mentioned in The Sun's match report yesterday and in today's paper. I've not checked any other newspaper but tabloids don't get much bigger than The Sun regardless people's opinions of them.
    The Sunday Times mentioned it as well
  • Hex said:

If we are going to achieve our aims of regime change it will have to be a long and organised campaign. Yesterday was fairly disorganised but it was only the start.

If we want regime change, then we need a new owner. It's no use wanting RD out when there's nobody else who wants to own the club
  • CAFCTrev said:

No Mate, punching, and extremely fortunate to have witnessed it in our lifetime.

We are a Mid to Play off Championship club.

Anything else is a bonus.

That's my view so no pelters please.

I would say we're a bit better than that. Mid Championship to lower mid Premier club.