Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jermaine Jenas on Dele Alli

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34727258

An interesting article on Alli's rise, but what I found most interesting was this section about Jenas playing in the PL at a young age.
Like him, I had the option to go to other clubs but I was very confident as a young lad. I went to Newcastle to play Premier League football because I thought I was ready for it.
It sounds like I am bragging but, even before I went to St James' Park, I felt like I belonged in the top flight - I did not think I would need time to adjust.
My game did not suit the hustle and bustle of chasing long balls, knock-ons and second balls in the Championship. I was not strong enough and it wore me down.
I was still developing physically but technically I had the elements I needed for the Premier League, where you actually get more time on the ball. I was very lightweight, but I was quick, fit and could get it down and play.
When I look at our squad, the young players we've brought in with no Championship experience, and how so many of them have struggled, it shows the flaws in our transfer policy. The players themselves might be good players, but that doesn't mean that they are suited to this division...

Comments

• Fair comment. Reckon Jenas has made a good start as a pundit too.
  • Tell that to Brentford. They passed around us like we were cones

The Championship is completely and utterly unrecognisable from Jenas' time
  • Leuth said:

Tell that to Brentford. They passed around us like we were cones

The Championship is completely and utterly unrecognisable from Jenas' time

With the likes of McCormack and Judge bossing the midfield, experienced players, not 21 year old French players or 18 year old kids with virtually no experience of British football
  • Jermaine Jenas always reminds me of that brilliant gag on Twitter...

"Does Jermaine Jenas's surname rhyme with PENIS or ANUS? Send your one-word answer directly to Piers Morgan".