Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Roly just marking time?

Apologies if this has been thought of before, but I haven't been on CL much lately.

Wind your memory back almsot 2 years to when Roly bought us.

It was agreed that the "friendly debt" owed to the previous directors (that had been lent before Slater & co were in charge) would be effectively written off & would only be repayable if/when we made it back to the promised land of the Premier League. Rough guesstimates put this debt at approx £20m.

Now here's the rub...what if that Premier League repayment agreement was time limited? What if Roly has to wait 5-6 years & then the debt is written off? What if Roly is underinvesting with the first team in order to save himself from having to repay that £20m?

This would make some sense considering the investment in the pitch, sprucing up the Valley, the investment in the new ticketing system, the expansion of the training ground redevelopment etc. etc. It seems like he wants everything to work except the first team.

Yes I know there's the argument about us losing money each year & the sum total of that over 5-6 years will probably outweigh the potential £20m saving, but it's just a thought I had.

What do you guys & girls think? Feasible? or just my mind thinking up fanciful rubbish?

Comments

• With promotion to the Premiership earning a club around £130 million, I reckon Roly would just take the hit. Think him and KM might just generally be clueless.
  • fanciful rubbish :smile:
  • edited November 2015
    Could well be that motive but more likely he thinks replacing Buyens, Bulot etc with Ba and McAleney (now gone back) was a good idea but just wasn't good enough!!!
  • As far as I know the previous directors are owed £7m.

While we're in this league whoever owns the club has to cover the losses. I think that was around £5-7m a season excluding anything we make from selling players.
  • Scoham said:

As far as I know the previous directors are owed £7m.

While we're in this league whoever owns the club has to cover the losses. I think that was around £5-7m a season excluding anything we make from selling players.

A rising cost, according to AB.
  • Nice conspiracy theory. I like it. Only problem I have with it is that it assumes that Roland knows what he's doing.
  • Given the current situation I would like to believe it could be true but as has been said the riches of the premier league would make the 20m Pretty insignificant
  • By the time this little ruse had run it course we would be in the conference playing to crowds of 1500, and even if we avoided the relegation the attendances would have collapsed through the floor. There is only some much shit people will pay for.

No I agree with other posters, they are clueless, certainly re football and PR.
  • He's got roughly 700m in assets can't he just pay the debt now, invest properly in the club to make more money and stop whining like a bitch