Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Remembrance at the Valley this Saturday

edited November 2015 in General Charlton
As most of you will already know this Sunday will be Remembrance Sunday.

There will be a minutes silence before the game v Wednesday and a wreath will be laid on the pitch by gunners from the Royal Artillery.

The wreath will then be placed on the memorial to all those players, officials and fans who served which is on the West stand behind the Sam Bartram Statue.

There will also be a two page article in the programme.

Lest we forget.

Comments

• We are playing the Wendies this Saturday.
  • iaitch said:

We are playing the Wendies this Saturday.

What is this comment about?
  • O.K. Got it!
  • waldo said:

iaitch said:

Ipswich is two weeks after Remembrance Sunday.
  • waldo said:

iaitch said:

Henners said that the silence will be at Ipswich game (28th) and I think he meant Sheff W game (7th). Understandable mistake with all the stress we're under. RD Out
  • edited November 2015
    My mistake, now changed
  • From memory it was last season verses Wednesday that the memorial was unveiled.
  • edited November 2015
    seth plum said:

From memory it was last season verses Wednesday that the memorial was unveiled.

Yes it was and Wednesday totally ripped off Iain and Olly's programme design for their game the next week.

Clive Harris, Club Historian and Museum Trustee, talking at the opening ceremony for the memorial put up by the museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_CSO0JbGQ
  • Does Clive have a user name on here? I need to contact him.
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

Does Clive have a user name on here? I need to contact him.

@SE7toSG3 but better to email him on cafchistorian@gmail.com
  • Please please please observe the silence, and don't break into that contrived applause act.
  • cafctom said:

Please please please observe the silence, and don't break into that contrived applause act.

I know about and support the protests happening at 2.30, and I guess they will continue during the game as well. However, as an ex-squadie, I would ask the same as @cafctom that the silence is observed and any protestations against the Board are quelled during this time. If it wasn't for people sacrificing their lives, you may not have had a CAFC or the right to protest in the first place.
    Many thanks RedM
    Well said Red. In complete agreement.
  • Excellent article from the club historian in the programme about Charlton in 1915.
  • Impeccably observed by everyone in the ground.

I forgot to check... Was the Robin in the centre circle looking like... that?