Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Belgian Contributions to the World!

2»

Comments

• edited November 2015
    And future famous Belgian...

Stoffel Vandoorne

Will be the next F1 champ after Hamilton/Rosberg/Vettel - and will be for a long time too -astonishing series in GP2 this season- was in first 2 for first 8 races of season, and clinched the title with 4 races to spare- this, in a race where all the drivers drive the same car.
  • Nobody has mentioned the most famous Belgian yet - Audrey Hepburn.
  • Jacques Brel.
  • My understanding is that without Belgiums heroic defence early in the Great War Germany would have succeeded in its invasion of France and therefore probably won.

The Ardennes is stunning and well worth a visit.

Did I mention beer??!!
  • Jihadists?
  • edited November 2015
  • IAgree said:

My understanding is that without Belgiums heroic defence early in the Great War Germany would have succeeded in its invasion of France and therefore probably won.

The Ardennes is stunning and well worth a visit.

Did I mention beer??!!

Including the most astonishing beer on the planet....Blanche de Bruges.
  • And future famous Belgian...

Stoffel Vandoorne

Will be the next F1 champ after Hamilton/Rosberg/Vettel - and will be for a long time too -astonishing series in GP2 this season- was in first 2 for first 8 races of season, and clinched the title with 4 races to spare- this, in a race where all the drivers drive the same car.

Same car ? How many steering wheels and seats does it have ?

• edited November 2015
    The Saxophone, The Smurfs and Crinkle cut crisps.#

# One (or more) of the above may not be entirely accurate.*

*which makes them fit nicely into this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

Antwerp is a fantastic city I will say that, mostly though Belgium is thoroughly forgettable. However it really is a strange place.

It undoubtedly has some very beautiful but very stereotypical European towns and cities (type of place where cheese and ham sandwiches are served for breakfast), and it almost goes without saying, the country has always been a battleground and we have many, many of our forefathers resting there.

You need to go to the backwaters to understand where I'm coming from when I say the belgians generally walk around with a slightly bewildered look on their faces most of the time. When midnight strikes they can be properly unpredictable

Huh? :-)

Have you ever visited rural Lincolnshire?

Stoffel Vandoorne

I wondered how long it would take !

Stoffel Vandoorne

I wondered how long it would take !
    Two hours ten minutes

• Would heartily recommend a long weekend in Ghent - well worth a visit!
  • Carter and antwerp hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if it was the little area near the old bill station and the lovEly itms you can pick in the shop windows there
  • 1StevieG said:

Nobody has mentioned the most famous Belgian yet - Audrey Hepburn.

Class personified. She worked for children, was very intelligent, and spoke a shedload of languages.
    A wonderful Belgian person.

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned Eddy Wally yet. Self-proclaimed "The Voice of Europe" but more well-known to us from Eurotrash.
    He's even had an asteroid belt named after him - 9205eddywally.
  • seth plum said:

1StevieG said:

Nobody has mentioned the most famous Belgian yet - Audrey Hepburn.

Class personified. She worked for children, was very intelligent, and spoke a shedload of languages.
    A wonderful Belgian person.

Loved the chocolate ad she did!
  • The Flanders Mare - Medieval Belgium Horses were prized in wars for their tremendous size and strength. Henry viii likened his fourth wife to one. Anne of Cleves (not a looker) cleverly portrayed in Rex Whistler’s painting as an upside down image of the King.
  • Terrorists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cat photos
  • Eddy Merckx - arguably the world's best ever road racing cyclist.
  • My third kid was born in Leuven, they are a boring crew really...

What made you have a third then?

• Enzo Scifo
  • Mischa Mara
  • Carter said:

I've spent a lot of time in Belgium and can agree with Ray, Colin Farrell's character in the sublime film 'In Brugge'

'Belgium is famous for 2 things. Chocolate and child sex crime. And they only invented the chocolate to get to the kids'

If you want an insight into Belgium watch that film, it is a very weird place full of very weird people especially in the more rural parts

Loved that film. Perfection.

The characters in it not very fond of bruge!
  • Andree de Jongh who organised the Comet Line was an astonishing woman, a hero for any age, Google her.
  • Carter and antwerp hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if it was the little area near the old bill station and the lovEly itms you can pick in the shop windows there

What the bit with all the red shopfronts?

Don't know where you mean mate
  • Carter said:

Carter and antwerp hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if it was the little area near the old bill station and the lovEly itms you can pick in the shop windows there

What the bit with all the red shopfronts?

Don't know where you mean mate
    Very near to Antwerp central station you'll find the Jewish/diamond district. 80% of all gem quality diamonds in the world pass through this square mile. If you go in the direction of the river, you'll find a "red light" district. I presume that's what you mean with "red shopfronts" ...

http://www.flanderstoday.eu/living/antwerp-central-one-worlds-most-beautiful-stations