Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football League paper slams RD

edited November 2015 in General Charlton
Taken from Wyn Grants Blog Addicks Championship, now a national paper (albeit a football one) is speaking about RD and his 'experiment' -:

This morning's Football League Paper has a major article by Chris Dunlavy criticising Roland Duchatelet headed 'Forget fairy tales, Roland, and get real.' It is accompanied by a not very flattering cartoon of the Belgian.

The article compares Roland with Massimo Cellino for Leeds, not company I would care to be in. To be fair, Roland has never been convicted of evading taxes.

The article states, 'the Belgian thought he could rock up, sign a few cheap foreigners, and stroll straight into the top flight [Actually, I think that his motivations and aims were more complex, but still flawed]. But like the unhinged Italian, he has discovered that the Championship deals savagely with those who underestimate it.'

Dunlavy poses the question, 'Does Duchatelet even know what he is trying to do? Fundamentally, his aims are laudable. Build an infrastructure, bring the kids through, minimise financial losses. A guy worth £500m knows how to run a company and the fact that he rescued Charlton from the brink of ruin should not be forgotten. But none of that means much when the core of your business - the team - is an unstable ragbag outfit.'

Roland's claims to have spent £8m on players since arriving are put under the microscope and argues that 'Players have been brought on for their youth and sell-on value rather than their suitability to English football, Youngsters promoted too soon in the hope of making a quick buck.'

Dunlavy quotes extensively from an earlier interview with Yann Kermorgant and concludes, 'The manager has never been the problem. The problem is an owner who badly misjudged the strength of English football.

With thanks to Wyn

Comments

• stonemuse said:

Wider publicity this gets the better ... if it starts to embarrass KM, she may react in order to protect her CV.

Will wash straight over RD's head - he has no emotion.

So far she seems to have escaped most of the criticism in the press with RD getting most of the flack.
  • stonemuse said:

Wider publicity this gets the better ... if it starts to embarrass KM, she may react in order to protect her CV.

So far she seems to have escaped most of the criticism in the press with RD getting most of the flack.
    Yup, she's had it easy
  • Better to target the organ grinder.
  • He's only a couple of hundred miles away. It's hardly the Venkys we're dealing with here, just some weirdo the other side of the Channel.
  • However, if it starts to affect his Business(es) because of the adverse 'noise' - he is obviously bound to have a lot of business with companies in UK.
  • Better to target the organ grinder.

But the organ grinder is far away, so the monkey needs to cop for it, and deservedly so.
    Yep. Spank the monkey.

Whatever turns you both on I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Funny how some members of the press are now jumping on a bandwagon when trouble is in the air. Now the only publicity that will be worth its salt will be mass demonstrations inside and outside the ground. Stop spending money at the Valley as well but the message will ring loud in KMs ears the more people attend and join in before and during the game
  • Is he worse than Cellino? Surely it is just the latter's tax evasion that are the issue, and I guess he is a more colourful character than RD.
    December 12th is going to be the Mad Owners' Derby. Still, at least we're challenging for something, the Venkys and Vincent Tan look quite normal now, and if Cellino does sell up to fans, we're deffo most unhinged owner in the Champ (and only the Oystons and the Orient guy to beat to get the national award).
  • The Oystons have it, but Roland's got them in his sights, chasing them down the divisions.
  • stonemuse said:

I have to admit that I am surprised KM is getting such an easy ride from the West Stand supporters but then my son does refer to it as 'the stand of the living dead'