Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Desert Island Discs .. Keith Richards

The crusty old rocker on crusty old Radio 4 .. well worth a listen on iPlayer

Comments

• I listened to that on Monday, was very good, as Kirsty Young said he's the man that death forgot.

His autobiography was the best one I've read for years. Part debauchery, part technical, part the everyday things that give you a glimpse of what the blokes really like.

For example, if he doesn't get shepherds pie before the gig, he won't go on stage. End of.

And woe betide anyone who cuts into it before he does!
  • Really enjoyed the program and his choice of music. Will have to read his autobiography.
  • Really enjoyed the program and his choice of music. Will have to read his autobiography.

you must .. it is a terrific read ((:>)

• Over the years he must of eaten a lot of Shepherds pie.
  • Keith has developed over the years into probably Rock and Roll's best raconteur so he is always good to listen to. People who know him say that at lot of his image is posed and in fact he is a really nice guy and as a fan for many years, the first Rolling Stones album was the first I bought with my own money, I would like to believe that there is nothing like meeting your hero's and being told to fuck off.

I was interested in what he had to say about drugs and the fact that they have no positive influence on musical creativity and he should know. A true survivor he must have the constitution of a Challenger tank......love him to bits
  • Keith has developed over the years into probably Rock and Roll's best raconteur so he is always good to listen to. People who know him say that at lot of his image is posed and in fact he is a really nice guy and as a fan for many years, the first Rolling Stones album was the first I bought with my own money, I would like to believe that there is nothing like meeting your hero's and being told to fuck off.

I was interested in what he had to say about drugs and the fact that they have no positive influence on musical creativity and he should know. A true survivor he must have the constitution of a Challenger tank......love him to bits

Tell that to Lennon/McCartney Sargent Pepper anyone!

you must .. it is a terrific read ((:>)
    It certainly is
  • The Rolling Stones first album was also my first album purchase.
    Still treasure it in my collection.
    Seen the Stones a few times, brilliant live.
    In 2010 I visited the Chess recording studio on 2120 South Michigan Ave. Chicago. Where the stones, Clapton and many blues artist have recorded over the years.
    (2120 South Michigan Ave. was a track on a Stones E.P. – may have been 5x5)
    I was awe struck, looking at pictures of John Lee Hooker and many of the old blues artist I so revere.
    I mentioned to the American chap showing us around the studio that as a child, I lived in a town called Eltham close to a place called Sidcup where Mick Jagger came from.
    “Did you know him”? He asked.
    “Unfortunately no.” I told the inquisitive bloke.
    Great place to visit if you are in Chicago.
  • I remember him having the hump, because he dropped out of the top ten of the most people likely to die.
  • Sponsored links:

• What were his selections?
  • Chuck Berry - Wee Wee Hours
    Hank Williams - You Win Again
    Aaron Neville - My True Story
    Etta James - Sugar On The Floor
    Freddie Scott - Are You Lonely For Me
    Gregory Isaacs - Extra Classic
    Nigel Kennedy and the English Chamber Orchestra - Spring from Vivaldi's Four Seasons
    Little Walter - Key To The Highway

• Chuck Berry - Wee Wee Hours
    Nigel Kennedy and the English Chamber Orchestra - Spring from Vivaldi's Four Seasons

The Chuck Berry track had Johnnie Johnston playing piano. I was lucky enough to meet him after a gig in London. What an incredible guy. Amazing experiences, fantastic stories and very generous with his time.
  • Chizz said:

Chuck Berry - Wee Wee Hours

The Chuck Berry track had Johnnie Johnston playing piano. I was lucky enough to meet him after a gig in London. What an incredible guy. Amazing experiences, fantastic stories and very generous with his time.
    Saw Johnnie Johnson with Clapton, Robert Cray and Buddie Guy at the Royal Albert Hall some years ago.
    Johnson played a few numbers solo. Absolutely brilliant.
    I think he was involved with a law suit with Chuck Berry over song writing royalties.
    He died a couple of years ago.
  • Surprised he didn't have any muddy waters
  • Listened to it on Monday. Fantsatic listen and the low near comotosed growl into laughter is so distinctive. Long live Keef!
  • Jagger is from Dartford not Sidcup!
  • Jagger is from Dartford not Sidcup!

Yes, both Mick and Keef are from Dartford!
  • edited October 2015

Keith has developed over the years into probably Rock and Roll's best raconteur so he is always good to listen to. People who know him say that at lot of his image is posed and in fact he is a really nice guy and as a fan for many years, the first Rolling Stones album was the first I bought with my own money, I would like to believe that there is nothing like meeting your hero's and being told to fuck off.

I think he was being a little bit PC here .. I can't imagine anyone advocating heavy drug use getting that broadcast on the mainstream media .. the autobiography tells a rather different story .. I reckon he'll live on to get a telegram from the Queen, or more likely from Charlie III
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015

Chizz said:

Chuck Berry - Wee Wee Hours

Saw Johnnie Johnson with Clapton, Robert Cray and Buddie Guy at the Royal Albert Hall some years ago.
    Johnson played a few numbers solo. Absolutely brilliant.
    I think he was involved with a law suit with Chuck Berry over song writing royalties.
    He died a couple of years ago.
    found this blurry and out of focus image thru Google .. Keith looks like a VERY smart bank worker ((:>)