Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs On Our Situation

2»

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

In some strange parallel universe where Curbs was appointed, how many fans do you think would turn up for his first home game in charge?

20k +
    13,500. We were saved from extinction in 1984 and got 7,700 for our next game. Truth is, not that many people REALLY give a f*ck about Charlton. Certainly not 27,111 people anyway.
  • Options
    I would defo come down if he was announced as manager, as I guess would many others, but sadly this is just pie in the sky.
  • Options
    If he came back & it didn't work out, he could ruin his legendary status. I would hate to see that happen to the greatest manger of this club in my lifetime
  • Options
    Would have him back in a heart beat. But no point with this mob, wait until they're gone because theywill go one day (hopefully soon). Then get him in.
  • Options
    Perhaps he'd like to buy and bankroll us
  • Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Surprised no one has put it to him yet, and I guess live on SSN might not have been the place, but the fact that Katrien named him as having applied for the job on (hidden) camera after the Watford debacle. If it's true then it's more ammunition to fire at the current regime and if it's a lie well I guess the same applies and in fact it would be hilarious if Curbs sued her for libel.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Never go back.

Unless she was bloody good and is clearly up for a bit of a "catch up"
    The thrill of the ex is always worth closer examination, almost regardless of how good things were or weren't before they heartlessly dumped you/were dumped by you/as applicable.

Dave, UKGold et al just about only show repeats. That don't just work on telly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought this was going to be @Curb_It 's take on the current sorry state of the club.

She has previous, after breaking the "Chip-gate" story!! :smile:
  • Options
    Can imagine Keithy P texting curbs about the removal of these pictures.

• Options
    Curbishley should not come back, remember him for what he did for us before.

Why take chances on the idiots we have here who would still f*** him about.
  • Options
    Imagine the lift it would give the club if A.C came back. Roland would be wise to consider it because as things stand, Div. 1 is more than a possibility.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'd love Curbs to come back but I can not see him putting up with RD and I suspect he would eventually walk out. Let's not forget (if you read Curbs book) he mentioned clearly his relationship between himself and Richard Murray was a successful one because Richard let him got on with his job and I suspect RD will have a different attitude towards this.
  • Options
    Pitchers of past glories. Well they can bloody take that one down.
  • Options
    Just came across this Q & A with Curbs from 2013 on Sky Sports. I think one thing that he said is worth noting (I remember there was a thread about our recruitment policy the other day but I can't find it so I just put the article here. Sorry if it's been posted before):

How vital is it for a manager to have trust in their scouting network when it comes to recruiting players?

Curbs: You trust the scouting system as far as it can go and then you have got to go and make the call yourself. You have got to go and see the player. You cannot just rely on scouting reports and you cannot just rely on videos. You have got to go and see the player at least, in my case, five or six times.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11684/8880223/the-gaffer-alan-curbishley

So I suppose one big thing about RD's project that doesn't work is probably the recruitment process. We need a manager who not only knows the league well but also does part of the scouting work himself. Looks like we've failed in both respects.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Curbs was meticulous and extremely hard working. He also treated the clubs money like it was his own. I remember Gary Rowett saying at a supporters meeting that if a ball went over the fence in training, he'd insist that it was retrieved. In the early day's he and Gritty would travel the country viewing future opposition. I also like the story of him climbing the gate at Paulo Di Canios house ( he was out) and leaving him a Back to the Valley DVD in order to try to persuade him to sign for us. It's really shameful that he's not even being considered after what he did for our club.

Whereas Dowie and Pardew spent it as though they were the Wife thinking they were on a luxury shopping trip when in fact they'd gone to Primark and Poundland!!
  • Options
    let's face it bruvvers and sistas .. the only way that St Llewellyn is coming back is if he and his millionaire bruv buy the club .. and that is not gonna happen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

bobmunro said:

In some strange parallel universe where Curbs was appointed, how many fans do you think would turn up for his first home game in charge?

20k +
    13,500. We were saved from extinction in 1984 and got 7,700 for our next game. Truth is, not that many people REALLY give a f*ck about Charlton. Certainly not 27,111 people anyway.
    Yeah, well in *your* strange parallel universe, people might not give a f*ck about Charlton. But in *my* strange parallel universe, there are 25,000 Charlton season ticket holders and they're expecting a *lot* of walk-up sales for Curbs' first game back, because we're playing Neptune United, the beer's free (and it tastes great) and everyone likes the cheerleaders.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Simonsen said:

bobmunro said:

20k +
    Yeah, well in *your* strange parallel universe, people might not give a f*ck about Charlton. But in *my* strange parallel universe, there are 25,000 Charlton season ticket holders and they're expecting a *lot* of walk-up sales for Curbs' first game back, because we're playing Neptune United, the beer's free (and it tastes great) and everyone likes the cheerleaders.
    The sofa's still shit though isn't it?
  • Options
    These clowns don't want older fans, let alone older managers. AC was and remains a club legend. Let him stay that way. It's never a good idea to come back to the place of former glories. All the more so under people who are so abjectly clueless
  • Options
    In a heartbeat...
  • Options
    I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in charge of Charlton.
    I can't think of anyone less likely to be given the job by Roland.