Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To all those threatening to boycott

Comments

• Options
    I'm not desperately keen on a boycott because I've paid for my season ticket and, unless I don't fancy going - which has happened a couple of times this season, I want to see the games.

Having said that the Ipswich game at Home at the end of November is on the tele so that might be the best time to make a visual statement. If the Sky cameras came and there were no home fans here it would, I imagine, have the maximum embarrassment to those running the club. If it is done properly the Sky commentators, and the pundits, would have to mention it.

I'm not sure it would change much, but it would make people notice and none of us would have to miss the game as we could watch it on the tele!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Chizz said:

Has anyone actually described what a successful outcome of a "boycott" would be?

In other words, what is the stated purpose?

It's highly unlikely that RD is going to see that the gate is, say, 15% down against the average for the season and decide to sell the club.

Not turning up; or turning up late; or not buying a pint; or standing up and shouting at a specified time isn't going to change the ownership of the club. RD will be the owner the day before, the day of and the day after any "boycott".

If anything, a boycott would make it slightly harder for him to find a buyer.

So what is the measure of success? What will people be able to look back and say, "it was worth all the planning and effort and execution, because... " what?

The four objectives of the Black and White campaign are the starting point.
    I surely can't be the only one right now who couldn't give a toss about whether they respond to all emails or not?
  • Options
    Nothing will be achieved at this rate we need to decide if we are the Judean People's Front or the People's Front of Judea
  • Options
    Splitters
  • Options

se9addick said:

Boycotting the catering kiosks is, in my opinion, definitely the way to go.

Soon the time for talking will be over and some of us will need to begin planning.

That's one option, but not the answer.
    I don't think we currently have any answers. The only thing we can do is start to probe and hope we find something that seems to hit the spot. I certainly think the catering is a great place to start. The club will not only feel it through reduced revenue share, but also because it will have the added bonus of the catering contractor giving them grief too.

I can see the headlines already 'Pie despair for Roland and Meire'.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Someone break into the valley and paint a massive cock and balls on the pitch the night before the Ipswich game.

I'd do it myself but I'm rubbish at art - got an Unclassified in my O' Level.

I don't think you need to be Michaelangelo to draw a massive penis.

I guess if you could paint a bit, you might be able to come up with something like this

• Options

I totally understand that people want to show their anger and frustration in ways that suit them, that's fine. However, for this season, staying away in a boycott as a season ticket holder will not affect RD as he has my money already. Why would he care? We all can see the gate is well down, week in week out it dwindles and still he insults us with this appointment.
    I will wear black and white and get involved in making our opinions as clearly as I can to him: most offensives have many fronts. However, the team need our support more than ever and I CANNOT take League 1 again!

Thats alright , coz it will only be for one season when we slide into League 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

Soon the time for talking will be over and some of us will need to begin planning.

I don't think we currently have any answers. The only thing we can do is start to probe and hope we find something that seems to hit the spot. I certainly think the catering is a great place to start. The club will not only feel it through reduced revenue share, but also because it will have the added bonus of the catering contractor giving them grief too.

'Marginal gains' ...it worked for British cycling and the Sky team
  • Options
    Is boycotting something you'll be able to keep up? After a while you'll start missing it because it's been part of your life for so many years.
  • Options

One problem as I see it is that you are all ( well most of you) thinking in a rational way. There is increasing evidence that Roland does not. He rather reminds me of WW1 generals where the hideous slaughter continued because some generals were unable to accept evidence that challenged their point of view hence they thought that more of the same would be successful. It is a characteristic of the authoritarian personality and also of those with personality disorders.
    But he did sell SLiege and this was for 'complicated reasons'. What exactly were those reasons? IMO, it might be useful to pursue this line of enquiry?

Good point, Anni.

And welcome back !

• Options
    Can we go for a total Bovril boycott? Maybe if it gets to upsetting for the players we can go up to a limit of one cup a game?
  • Options

Nothing will be achieved at this rate we need to decide if we are the Judean People's Front or the People's Front of Judea

As we are demanding answers from RD, may I suggest The Y Fronts ?

• Options
    kentred2 said:

Supporting the team is supporting the Belgians. It is his team.

No, it's our team.

What benefit would season ticket holders nor turning up do, other than making our chances of staying up by winning at home even worse? As for catering, the large queues and terrible service are normally the reason why people don't buy anything, a few fans boycotting would just make it easier for the other fans to buy something.

As for everyone going to away games instead, hmm let's see how many people go to Huddersfield and Burnley away...
  • Options

Today, I'm not angry, I'm upset. Upset that I've been forced in to a decision that means after 22 years, I won't be attending games until the current regime has finished with their experiment.

I'll still check-in and look out for our results and still consider myself a distant fan, but I refuse to line the pockets of a megalomaniac who has no interest in the well being of our club.

Experiment?!?! How about an alternate way to run a business? What you and countless other fans are advocating is that the owners should "pony-up" money for the "good of the club." This model put us into trouble in the first place. Instead of developing a sound business model that would sustain relegation Murray et. al. built up a Premier League infrastructure and wage bill could not be supported on revenue from the lower leagues. While it clear that Charlton require substantial funds to move forward who is going to pay for it remains the question. Murray et. al employed the benefactor model, Roland, I would argue, is employing more of a "moneyball" approach.

Studying the figures swissramble.blogspot.co.uk compiled even during the heydays of the Premier League revenue has been insufficient to cover costs. Losses need to be compensated by increasing commercial revenue or by profiting on player sales.

I would you and other loyal fans like myself to reconsider your position.
  • Options

Today, I'm not angry, I'm upset. Upset that I've been forced in to a decision that means after 22 years, I won't be attending games until the current regime has finished with their experiment.

I'll still check-in and look out for our results and still consider myself a distant fan, but I refuse to line the pockets of a megalomaniac who has no interest in the well being of our club.

Experiment?!?! How about an alternate way to run a business? What you and countless other fans are advocating is that the owners should "pony-up" money for the "good of the club." This model put us into trouble in the first place. Instead of developing a sound business model that would sustain relegation Murray et. al. built up a Premier League infrastructure and wage bill could not be supported on revenue from the lower leagues. While it clear that Charlton require substantial funds to move forward who is going to pay for it remains the question. Murray et. al employed the benefactor model, Roland, I would argue, is employing more of a "moneyball" approach.

Studying the figures swissramble.blogspot.co.uk compiled even during the heydays of the Premier League revenue has been insufficient to cover costs. Losses need to be compensated by increasing commercial revenue or by profiting on player sales.

I would you and other loyal fans like myself to reconsider your position.
    There is no strategy, grand plan or understanding about football - five managers in two years - poor decision after poor decision. Spin after spin, lie after lie, contempt after contempt. Continued uncertainty and mostly poor football - Sorry This is no " alternate" model but chaotic arrogance.

Err no I will be boycotting.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Yes, but what's the point of the boycott ? What are you asking for ?

Boycotting for the sake of boycotting is pointless - there needs to be an end goal. Ultimately we probably want them to leave, but that's unlikely to be for a while (possibly a long time). In the meantime we need some realistic goals that will help re-establish the connection with the club that has been brutally severed for so many fans. Starting with the very achievable goals of the black & white campaign is a good start and the boycott of the kiosks could be one of the methods we use to achieve those goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    So we boycott the food and drink, dont buy merchandise, dont buy programmes, dont go to matches, and then in January complain because no money has been spent on the team, and about the choice of beer and food available in the kiosks which are closed or understaffed.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Boycotting for the sake of boycotting is pointless - there needs to be an end goal. Ultimately we probably want them to leave, but that's unlikely to be for a while (possibly a long time). In the meantime we need some realistic goals that will help re-establish the connection with the club that has been brutally severed for so many fans. Starting with the very achievable goals of the black & white campaign is a good start and the boycott of the kiosks could be one of the methods we use to achieve those goals.
    I think an initial boycott to show the depth of feeling is compatible with a longer term campaign of protest and that there should be an agenda to guide this.
    This needs planning, commitment and leadership.
  • Options

kentred2 said:

Supporting the team is supporting the Belgians. It is his team.

No, it's our team.

What benefit would season ticket holders nor turning up do, other than making our chances of staying up by winning at home even worse? As for catering, the large queues and terrible service are normally the reason why people don't buy anything, a few fans boycotting would just make it easier for the other fans to buy something.

As for everyone going to away games instead, hmm let's see how many people go to Huddersfield and Burnley away...
    well season ticket holders aren't making any difference at the moment, we're still losing. so not sure I understand your argument.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I agree the Black and White campaign is a good starting point. For me I want clarity on their vision. I want to understand why they keep making the same mistakes over and over both in terms of player recruitment and manager appointments. I would like to find out what the big secret is, why are they actively avoiding a proper dialogue with the fans. These are my main worries right now.
  • Options
    Strange that people wont boycott, 2 days ago euell and Peacock were supposed to walk away from there jobs on moral grounds
  • Options
    I'm going to be away for the next home game, so I won't be able to boycott it. Can someone boycott it for me?

I'll be back for the following game, so I'll be able to boycott that one instead.
  • Options
    The football is dire. The club hierarchy hold the fans in contempt. My discretionary income is limited. I can, for example see the men they couldn't hang for £20 with a guarantee of enjoyment. It's a no brainer for me.

Until the owners value me and my dosh it's going elsewhere.

• Options
    The men they couldn't hang for £20? How much could they hang them for?
  • Options
    So I have no plan to go to the game anyway as have family plans but can someone clarify for me if I would be allowed to if my plans change on the day ?

If I go, am I allowed to buy a programme, have a beer at H/T and wear non monochrome clothing ?

Should people not be able to do what they want to without a debate around who is right or wrong ? If you want to go then go, if it is upsetting to attend then don't go. If you want to hurl a stuffed badger onto pitch feel free and if you want to get book a table in a lounge crack on.

All these threads - "what can I do on Saturdays now", "This is the worst I've seen it in 249 years", "I'll never eat a Robin in the ground again".....just do what you want to do.

If the overall sentiment is for or against then it will show over time. What are the other Charlton fan boards trying to organise out of interest ?

In addition, in my opinion, if The Trust endorses or pushes any form of protest then they can say goodbye to dialogue with the club for pretty much ever, survey results or not.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

So I have no plan to go to the game anyway as have family plans but can someone clarify for me if I would be allowed to if my plans change on the day ?

If I go, am I allowed to buy a programme, have a beer at H/T and wear non monochrome clothing ?

Should people not be able to do what they want to without a debate around who is right or wrong ? If you want to go then go, if it is upsetting to attend then don't go. If you want to hurl a stuffed badger onto pitch feel free and if you want to get book a table in a lounge crack on.

All these threads - "what can I do on Saturdays now", "This is the worst I've seen it in 249 years", "I'll never eat a Robin in the ground again".....just do what you want to do.

If the overall sentiment is for or against then it will show over time. What are the other Charlton fan boards trying to organise out of interest ?

In addition, in my opinion, if The Trust endorses or pushes any form of protest then they can say goodbye to dialogue with the club for pretty much ever, survey results or not.

United we stand........

You know the rest.