Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Did Guy Luzon Deserve The Sack?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Whilst I agree that Luzon was seriously undermined by the lack of investment in the squad I didn't really see anything from him during the last 9 games that indicated he had the ability to out think his opposite number. Every week was the same story. Put out a 4-4-2 formation, regardless of whether he had enough fit players to do so effectively, and only ever make like for like substitutions during a game, regardless of score, opposition formation etc. He clearly had a Plan A but there was no evidence of B, C, D or anything else.

I can only hope that whichever poor sod gets this poison chalice next has a better tactical awareness than Luzon and, somewhat optimistically, that he gets suitable backing from RD.
  • A completely unbiased view in today's Racing Post
    Guy Luzon was sacked as Charlton manager after Saturday's home defeat to Brentford and he can have few complaints.The Addicks had been on the wrong end of injury problems but the South London outfit have lost seven of their last nine matches and haven't won since August.There had been rumours of dressing room unrest too so a fresh gaffer with players returning could be just what Charlton need to get back up the Championship table.
  • No. He'd shown that prior to the injury crisis, that the team could do well and provide entertainment.

As for tactics, he didn't have the players for an effective 4-5-1 (none of our forwards are suited, available or fit enough). Plus he probably knew how previous managers had been slated for playing 4-5-1 at home. "4-5-1 at home to Brentford/Preston? They're not Barcelona FFS...."

Fans (understandably) want it all ways but only clubs with large squads can cope with every situation. And even then (see Chelsea) it can still go wrong. The small squad and the injuries to so many key men, weren't really the fault of Guy Luzon.
  • He wasn't the right man for the job because the right man needs to be able to work miracles. Not even silk purse from sows ear miracles, we're talking water into wine/resurrection level.
  • The squad was never strong enough and we could all see at the start of the season that there was lack of cover all over the park.

Luzon is a good guy and his passion was refreshing. But he didn't help himself by saying 'The board have given me the tools to attack the league' a few months ago because frankly they didn't.
  • were the players performing to the best of their limited ability regularly , no
    could anyone do any worse , no
    cheers the Israeli Stuart Pearce but passion will only get you so far you need a bit of people skills and some tactical awareness to mix it up when things need changing
  • http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=4241&headline=Charlton keeper: Players have got to question their own performances after unacceptable second-half display&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015

As Stephen Henderson said to the SLP after Saturday
    “They looked fitter than us, they had more ideas than us and they were worthy winners in the end.
    “I think when we missed those chances we could see the lads maybe put their heads down. At half-time we came in positive. I thought we were still in the game. We came out and that second goal has killed us.
    “We need character. Certain individuals need to step up and just show more passion. The crowd was brilliant in the first half - very loud - and then our second half was not acceptable.
    So we were less fit than the opposition, and didn't show enough passion...
  • We might not be having this discussion now, Colin, but it would certainly have come up within a few weeks. The bloke was a tosser like all of RD's appointments, simple as that
  • Obviously not. He deserved a season, like all managers do.

Redman, give me a break. Is there any manager that you're fond of? I thought Luzon was one of the more talented managers we've had in recent times. He wasn't afraid to make decisions and I like that.

Do you also enjoy losing every week?
  • Anyone who was at Reading away last week can testify that regardless of injuries, this blokes tactics of late have been disgraceful
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't believe he is completely to blame for our recent issues, but he has to accept some responsibility. Deserve the sack for it, I don't think so, but he could have done better.

He can't be held accountable for the injuries and the way board failed to back him to bring in reinforcements didn't help. And the fact the board were backing him on that basis of injuries being to blame and them immediately sack him after the next game I think is downright disgraceful behavior. Personally believe Fraeye was lined up well before the weekend, much the same as Luzon was lined up before Peeters left. Also a lot of the players who were in the squad let their standards drop and need to accept responsibility. Watt, JBG, Solly, Fox, Ba, McAleny, Kashi and even Cousins let their heads drop far too often. Probably going to get stick for Cousins, but recent performances he has not looked the player he can be and usually is. But lack of confidence is contagious and it was bound to filter through eventually.

He should have been able to be more creative with the players he had and changed his tactics to suit the squad he had, especially if he is not allowed to bring players in. That's what a good coach should have been able to do to at least eek out some draws or a 1-0 hard fought win. Ok he didn't have wingers, but he could have put 3 central midfielders in and played 5 at the back using Solly and Fox/Berdich as wingbacks. He just never really moved from 4-4-2.

Ultimately didn't believe he was the man for the job in the first place so not overly bothered that he has gone, but do I think its fair he has gone.... No I don't.

I do wish Fraeye luck because I don't want to see us continue to drop.