Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Talktalk - oh dear!

I happen to use Talktalk because they are cheap especially for some of the things I want to do, primarily make international calls for very little money.

I was never under any illusions as to the overall competency of the business for a variety of reasons that I won't go in to here but this latest cyber-attack shambles takes some beating!

They appear to be admitting that they don't know whether the illegally harvested customer details were encrypted or not.
I've translated that to mean they know some customer data were not encrypted which is shocking.

I've had the apology email. It's probably telling that my e-mail client - Thunderbird - flagged it with a large red banner with the warning "This email might be a scam"!

Clearly they will be in deep doggy do with the Information Commissioner and others (I note that their FCA authorisation for consumer credit is only an interim authorisation.)

Meanwhile, the CEO, who despite really being called Diana seems to want to be called Dido although she could too be called Baroness Harding of Winscombe must surely find her position somewhat precarious.
I'm thinking she may have to resign her position as a non-exec member of The Court of the Bank of England (for personal reasons no doubt) but I don't suppose she'll give up her recently acquired title or the Conservative whip in the House of Lords.

Now I wonder how much compensation they will be offering me.......

Comments

• My son's phone is through them and we've not had a problem - unlike with CarphoneWarehouse who are totally useless. When you go back to Diana though, be sure to open the correspondence with Hello Female Twat and see how you get on.

On the phone note, I got an email from my son just now whose birthday it is in 3 weeks and who has been angling for an upgrade. Email has the subject Problem:

....my phone was in my pocket , which isn't very big, so it flew out and hit the floor. After realising that it had hit the floor, I looked at it and it had smashed and also the touch screen only works in the top left corner. Once I was at home, I took the sim card out to see if it would fit my old phone. It didn't. So now I cant log in to the sim card and therefore cant get texts.
    I went to carphone warehouse and they said without insurance it could cost up to £170 but about £30 with insurance.
    Have I got insurance?
    Should we use the insurance or go to a shop to get it fixed?
    Sorry!

• PL54 said:

My son's phone is through them and we've not had a problem - unlike with CarphoneWarehouse who are totally useless. When you go back to Diana though, be sure to open the correspondence with Hello Female Twat and see how you get on.

On the phone note, I got an email from my son just now whose birthday it is in 3 weeks and who has been angling for an upgrade. Email has the subject Problem:

....my phone was in my pocket , which isn't very big, so it flew out and hit the floor. After realising that it had hit the floor, I looked at it and it had smashed and also the touch screen only works in the top left corner. Once I was at home, I took the sim card out to see if it would fit my old phone. It didn't. So now I cant log in to the sim card and therefore cant get texts.
    I went to carphone warehouse and they said without insurance it could cost up to £170 but about £30 with insurance.
    Have I got insurance?
    Should we use the insurance or go to a shop to get it fixed?
    Sorry!

Carphone is now part of the Dixons empire so no surprise there. Prior to Talktalk being hived off it was part of Carphone. But it's all VERY incestuous with Charles Dunstone being Chairman of both companies - yes, really.

Separate mobile phone insurance is a huge rip-off. I just bumped up the figure in the "All Risks" section of a household contents policy and would claim off that. The only reason to get separate mobile insurance is if you want to slap in a claim saying it was mis-sold so you can get the compo as it could well have been if you've All Risks on a house contents policy. (That's why phone companies started to include other almost pointless elements to the mobile insurance, like covering calls made after your phone got nicked so they could claim they were selling a product with a different element to it.) Bastards: they could just not charge for the calls it would cost them next to nothing.

Read this and weep. (It's quite short)

fca.org.uk/static/pubs/final/carphone_warehouse.pdf
  • Oh dear indeed!
    How manny times is this sort of thing going to happen before the government and other bodies see this as a major threat
    to the business world.! All companies \ Government bodies should be assessed to see that they have robust security policies in place with data, especially with financial and personnel material.

• Fifteen year old boy arrested..!
  • Chizz said:

Fifteen year old boy arrested..!

Blimey, it's not even half term in Norn Iron.
  • I'm a mobile customer, part of me would like these scammers to give me a call I'm sure I could have some fun with them.
  • My mate's daughter is a Talk Talk Mobile customer and was in touch with them on Friday worried about fraud on her Bank Account. When she asked how she would know if her details had been accessed, she was told by the Talk Talk rep that she would know when money went missing from her account. That's reassured her.
  • So it's gone from a serious cyber attack by Islamic extremists to some 15 yr old kid in County Antrim in his bedroom..mmmm I smell bullshit!
  • My mate's daughter is a Talk Talk Mobile customer and was in touch with them on Friday worried about fraud on her Bank Account. When she asked how she would know if her details had been accessed, she was told by the Talk Talk rep that she would know when money went missing from her account. That's reassured her.

In fairness to TalkTalk, if someone has stolen all their customer records, they're not going to inform TalkTalk beforehand of what they're going to do with them are they?

"Hello, is that TalkTalk? Yes, it's us again. Just to let you know we're doing everyone whose name begins with T this week, and we'll be taking £50 out of each person's bank account and cashing in £100 worth of Nectar points. Oh, and Mr Thompson, who lives on the High Street: we'll be cloning his passport too. Oh, and while we're on the phone, can we just quickly top up the Pay As You Go with £20? Thanks, bye".
  • So it's gone from a serious cyber attack by Islamic extremists to some 15 yr old kid in County Antrim in his bedroom..mmmm I smell bullshit!

Has it been established whether the 15 year old has been questioned in connection with the cyber attack itself, or the ransom demand?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

My mate's daughter is a Talk Talk Mobile customer and was in touch with them on Friday worried about fraud on her Bank Account. When she asked how she would know if her details had been accessed, she was told by the Talk Talk rep that she would know when money went missing from her account. That's reassured her.

In fairness to TalkTalk, if someone has stolen all their customer records, they're not going to inform TalkTalk beforehand of what they're going to do with them are they?

"Hello, is that TalkTalk? Yes, it's us again. Just to let you know we're doing everyone whose name begins with T this week, and we'll be taking £50 out of each person's bank account and cashing in £100 worth of Nectar points. Oh, and Mr Thompson, who lives on the High Street: we'll be cloning his passport too. Oh, and while we're on the phone, can we just quickly top up the Pay As You Go with £20? Thanks, bye".
    You would like to think they might know what's been accessed and therefore if you are on the list or not. Might help you take precautionary action with your bank account.....
  • Working for one of the biggest wholesalers on the Openreach network, I can tell you all information regarding Sort Code and Account Numbers are usually deemed non-sensitive. With these details you can pay money in to an account or set up a direct debit what goes through a careful vetting process with your bank.

Obviously you should still be concerned if a Talk Talk customer but they also mentioned all Credit Card details where stared out as it is sensitive.

Let alone, if you want a wholesale line rental and you're with BT give me a shout and I'll can always reduce your line rental, call charges and broadband for the same service on that Openreach network. ;) haha