Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Man on the Post

Can anyone explain why we ( and also other teams but not worried about them) no longer put a man on the post when defending free kicks. I find this infuriating and cannot work out the logic behind this. Thanx

Comments

• Because it invites pressure from the other team, we can't keep them offside from the resulting ball should it hit the wall or be saved by the keeper. It also invites the other team to stand right in front of the keeper and make life difficult for him.
  • Plays everyone else onside, so the attackers can stand in front of the goalie and be a nuisance etc.
  • Because it invites pressure from the other team, we can't keep them offside from the resulting ball should it hit the wall or be saved by the keeper. It also invites the other team to stand right in front of the keeper and make life difficult for him.

Is the correct answer

Is the correct answer
    As opposed to picking the ball out of the net. It was a great free kick, it didn't need to be. A man in the line would have cleared it.
    Exactly !

Is the correct answer
    As opposed to picking the ball out of the net. It was a great free kick, it didn't need to be. A man in the line would have cleared it.
    Didn't say it was right or wrong to have players on the post.
    However, this is the reason teams don't have men on the post, it isn't cause they just don't fancy putting them there.

If the free kick is good enough it don't matter how many you have on the line.

• edited October 2015
    Ever since the spray can made it easier for the free kick takers,
    i'm amazed more teams haven't reverted back to at least trying to have more bodies on the line. CAFC are picking the ball out of the net after free kicks, so what have we got to lose ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    Pelham123 said:

Curbs used this tactic in the prem all the time. It confuses the opposition. They tend to move players forward into the box behind the wall and around the keeper.
    Before you know it the area is to packed to find a space for a direct shot.

From memory this tactic only failed once,Thierry Henry once scored a free kick against us,Chris Powell was normally the man on the post.
  • The thing I don't understand is the free kick a yard outside the box and therefore the wall was a yard in front of the penalty spot. This gave the kicker 10 yards to get the ball over the wall and 13 yards to get it back below the crossbar, the hard bit is getting the ball back down. So if you put the wall further away from the kicker it makes it more difficult for him.

Am I just over thinking this?
  • The thing I don't understand is the free kick a yard outside the box and therefore the wall was a yard in front of the penalty spot. This gave the kicker 10 yards to get the ball over the wall and 13 yards to get it back below the crossbar, the hard bit is getting the ball back down. So if you put the wall further away from the kicker it makes it more difficult for him.

I've often thought about not having a wall at all. The free kick takers are so good I sometimes think the wall just gets in the keepers way and is distracting.

I've often thought about not having a wall at all. The free kick takers are so good I sometimes think the wall just gets in the keepers way and is distracting.

For free-kicks more than 25 yards out I'd agree. But there are players who can absolutely smash rising drives that are very hard to keep out; from 20 yards out it'd be almost impossible to stop if aimed remotely well
  • Ever since the spray can made it easier for the free kick takers,
    I'm amazed more teams haven't reverted back to at least trying to have more bodies on the line. CAFC are picking the ball out of the net after free kicks, so what have we got to lose ?

I'm pretty sure during the period we did it with Deano, we only conceded from one direct free kick - scored by Henry, vs Arsenal at the Valley.

Unfortunately we don't have anyone of Deano's ability between the sticks right now, but neither do we have to face anyone of Henry's quality.

Even in those days we were one of the only ones doing it though.
  • I remember Luke Young would often stand on the goal line, inside the right post - and I've seen him head or kick the ball away, thus preventing a goal. Nick Pope's a slender chap and on the basis of probabilities, having a man (or even two) covering the goal would surely reduce the chances of conceding.
  • Are you suggesting we'd concede less in Pope was fatter?

Never really helped Robbie Elliot in dealing with long range efforts.
  • clive said:

Pelham123 said:

Curbs used this tactic in the prem all the time. It confuses the opposition. They tend to move players forward into the box behind the wall and around the keeper.
    Before you know it the area is to packed to find a space for a direct shot.

From memory this tactic only failed once,Thierry Henry once scored a free kick against us,Chris Powell was normally the man on the post.
    From my memory Henry scored a back heel with his back to the goal and Jon Fortune standing directly behind him.......he had all the angles covered except the gap beetween his legs, but then Henry at that time was probably unplayable, Poor Fortune has probably been in therapy ever since!
    On a more mundane level when I was running a Saturday mens team, ( four years ago) I always put a man on the line for a free kick, and corner, but that is seen as old fashioned and god forbid you should be that..... If it work's use it, was my maxim.
  • Funny how we remember it differently, I remember Bartlett being that man!!! Often would drop on to line at last moments to not let the area get to crowded.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQpu_YCeZ0

If you watch this video, as well as enjoying Jerome Thomas's absolute belter and suffering the sinking feeling when you click on the other videos on that channel and realise we were quite good once, you'll see Shaun Bartlett head an Andy Reid free kick off the line and see Danny Murphy curl in a free kick in similar circumstances minus the man on the line.

Pope seems to have no idea where to stand for free kicks so it couldn't hurt to stick a man there. It's not going to make him any worse
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQpu_YCeZ0

If you watch this video, as well as enjoying Jerome Thomas's absolute belter and suffering the sinking feeling when you click on the other videos on that channel and realise we were quite good once, you'll see Shaun Bartlett head an Andy Reid free kick off the line and see Danny Murphy curl in a free kick in similar circumstances minus the man on the line.

Pope seems to have no idea where to stand for free kicks so it couldn't hurt to stick a man there. It's not going to make him any worse

Sigh.
  • Are you suggesting we'd concede less in Pope was fatter?

Never really helped Robbie Elliot in dealing with long range efforts.

I'm the man we need after all
  • Bacause if they are on the goal line they are likely to get in the goalkeeper's way. We prefer them in the wall where they can duck down as low as possible giving the keeper a great view of the incoming ball and the best chance of catching it.... oh!