Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Seen it all Before ?

Lets face it we have always been shit ! well not always but in my 50 years only 5/6 have been good seasons--so its mostly shit.
Even the arrogance of the owner is not new--Glikstein didnt give a rats arse about the fans the ground was a dump and he didnt have to pay the players feck all for generations.What about the shit piece of paper handed out at the turnstile Vs palarse telling us in two week sour home ground would be Shitouts Park !! How arrogant and naive was that ! Or what about the selling of the club owned by the shareholders --the majority didnt even get a thank you for their LOST money did they Mr Murray ?

Theo Foleys last game he had our best player Mike Kenning at fullback (he was a forward) and we lost 5 nilat home ! Chriss Powell knew what he was doing when he played that shit team at Sheff Utd and Luzon did last night playing 3 left backs---its to show the situation in all its glory to the owners--the only people who really suffer are the poor bastards that paid the money to go see the Managers "protest".

Even the apathy has been seem before. I remember my Uncles saying to me "i use to go they are shit sell their best players blah blah" herd the same from old boys at work ,school etc etc. Our crowds went down to 4/5 thousand at home. I was at the Halifax game which was 3,000. Then of course we would have a good run or get a good cup tie and the place would be buzzing and 30,000 would turn up to see us get a thumping---no change.

Even the pan Euro Master plan isnt even that new---New England Tea Men anyone ???? we sent 3 of our best players out there BEFORE the season finished and we still needed to get a result at Orient--we drew nil nil. The Tea Men were to send us their best players pre their season not starting--they did (one i think) who wasnt good enough !!!

Of course now you have to have money to get into the Prem--its money that runs the game--end of. You need a background staff that understand the league and understand the other team. You need a squad that can COMPETE not just numbers on papers.Also COMPETING isnt finishing 4th from bottom !!!You need to understand there are "players" out there who dont give a shit about getting their boots on they just want the coin---fecking videos of players from far flung corners of the World aint good enough you need PROPER scouts who know this league not the Angloan 3rd division (if one exists).

Although all the elements aint new the feel is different now-- its the perfect storm coming.
Arrogant owners who clearly dont give a shit about our heritage. a pan euro scouting/ network fiasco , puppet managers/coaches. A decreasing catchment area to bring in support. The locals will not replace the long term fans drifting away they dont give a shit about Charlton Athletic. Thats the locals in Charlton,Woolwich,Lewisham,Plumpstead,Thamesmead.The only time they would come to The Valley if it was a "new church" !

We had the mechanism to cope with bringing in new fans and getting the old ones back(target 10,000 etc) but the owners dont understand the need for those groups--Naive.

i will be down there Saturday---to see old mates---what ever they do its still my club---never theirs.

Comments

• its the perfect storm coming.

Arrogant owners who clearly dont give a shit about our heritage. a pan euro scouting/ network fiasco , puppet managers/coaches. A decreasing catchment area to bring in support. The locals will not replace the long term fans drifting away they dont give a shit about Charlton Athletic.

We had the mechanism to cope with bringing in new fans and getting the old ones back(target 10,000 etc) but the owners dont understand the need for those groups--Naive.

Those bits are so so true.
  • Years ago when i was just a lad my dad introduced me to an old player who my dad knew from playing Golf. His Name was George Green who was a Welsh international and played 64 games for CAFC until he was sold to a Spanish club.
    He said the Gliksteins were only ever interested in making money and had no ambition to turn CAFC into the Arsenal of South east London.

Other than Mark Hulyer LOL and Richard Murray the early years
    Which owners of CAFC have ever shown real ambition for this club ?
  • Does remind me a little of the last days of the Pardew era.
  • The Palace model has always been Local business men.
    Noades,Goldberg,Jordan and now Parish.

Two of them came unstuck big time Goldberg and Jordon.

Noades stitched up Goldberg.

Parish and Co seem to be doing a good job with 95% of the fan base supporting them.

We need a Charlton fan made good(a young version of Richard Murray)
    who believes in Philanthropy and is single with no family ?

Any names anybody ?
  • Years ago when i was just a lad my dad introduced me to an old player who my dad knew from playing Golf. His Name was George Green who was a Welsh international and played 64 games for CAFC until he was sold to a Spanish club.
    He said the Gliksteins were only ever interested in making money and had no ambition to turn CAFC into the Arsenal of South east London.

George used to live above my mate on the Progress Estate in Eltham. He was a lovely old fella and always ready to talk about his time at the club.
  • Does remind me a little of the last days of the Pardew era.

without 16 loan signings and no saleable assets
  • The Palace model has always been Local business men.
    Noades,Goldberg,Jordan and now Parish.

Two of them came unstuck big time Goldberg and Jordon.

Noades stitched up Goldberg. everyone!

Parish and Co seem to be doing a good job with 95% of the fan base supporting them.

We need a Charlton fan made good(a young version of Richard Murray)
    who believes in Philanthropy and is single with no family ?

Any names anybody ?

George used to live above my mate on the Progress Estate in Eltham. He was a lovely old fella and always ready to talk about his time at the club.
    That would explain why my dad knew him from the Eltham warren golf course.

• Lets face it we have always been shit ! well not always but in my 50 years only 5/6 have been good seasons--so its mostly shit.
    Even the arrogance of the owner is not new--Glikstein didnt give a rats arse about the fans the ground was a dump and he didnt have to pay the players feck all for generations.What about the shit piece of paper handed out at the turnstile Vs palarse telling us in two week sour home ground would be Shitouts Park !! How arrogant and naive was that ! Or what about the selling of the club owned by the shareholders --the majority didnt even get a thank you for their LOST money did they Mr Murray ?

Theo Foleys last game he had our best player Mike Kenning at fullback (he was a forward) and we lost 5 nilat home ! Chriss Powell knew what he was doing when he played that shit team at Sheff Utd and Luzon did last night playing 3 left backs---its to show the situation in all its glory to the owners--the only people who really suffer are the poor bastards that paid the money to go see the Managers "protest".

Even the apathy has been seem before. I remember my Uncles saying to me "i use to go they are shit sell their best players blah blah" herd the same from old boys at work ,school etc etc. Our crowds went down to 4/5 thousand at home. I was at the Halifax game which was 3,000. Then of course we would have a good run or get a good cup tie and the place would be buzzing and 30,000 would turn up to see us get a thumping---no change.

Even the pan Euro Master plan isnt even that new---New England Tea Men anyone ???? we sent 3 of our best players out there BEFORE the season finished and we still needed to get a result at Orient--we drew nil nil. The Tea Men were to send us their best players pre their season not starting--they did (one i think) who wasnt good enough !!!

Of course now you have to have money to get into the Prem--its money that runs the game--end of. You need a background staff that understand the league and understand the other team. You need a squad that can COMPETE not just numbers on papers.Also COMPETING isnt finishing 4th from bottom !!!You need to understand there are "players" out there who dont give a shit about getting their boots on they just want the coin---fecking videos of players from far flung corners of the World aint good enough you need PROPER scouts who know this league not the Angloan 3rd division (if one exists).

Although all the elements aint new the feel is different now-- its the perfect storm coming.
    Arrogant owners who clearly dont give a shit about our heritage. a pan euro scouting/ network fiasco , puppet managers/coaches. A decreasing catchment area to bring in support. The locals will not replace the long term fans drifting away they dont give a shit about Charlton Athletic. Thats the locals in Charlton,Woolwich,Lewisham,Plumpstead,Thamesmead.The only time they would come to The Valley if it was a "new church" !

i will be down there Saturday---to see old mates---what ever they do its still my club---never theirs.

Excellent post & I remember all of it all too well. The post is worth more than a "like".
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    I agree with a lot of that, the difference I think is that all the previous owners since the 1950s would have struggled to finance the club to a greater extent personally whereas RD can afford to do things differently and his interest in doing so is obscure. For all his faults, even Michael Gliksten had an emotional connection to the club, albeit that it didn't extend to being ambitious enough. But the reward then was less obvious too.

It was Firmani who played Kenning at full back and lost 5-0 to Leicester at Easter 1970, not Foley though!

That would explain why my dad knew him from the Eltham warren golf course.

I knew George too, great old boy, real footy man - played as a guest for teams all over the place after the war.
  • I do remember when the film Groundhog Day came out the strange paralells between its concept and supporting CAFC. Apart from a few rare years I have supported a crap football team for 40+ years. It hasn't affected me too much, a nervous twitch, a slight stutter but the main problem is being completely pissed off at 5 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon...
  • pettgra said:

Excellent post. The experience does seem worse these days. Oh those days of open terracing.
    You could be standing next to a moaning miserable old git and then move and stand next to..........another moaning miserable old git!

You could......but in those days, you often had to walk quite a long way to get anywhere near the the next nearest spectator.
  • Simonsen said:

pettgra said:

Excellent post. The experience does seem worse these days. Oh those days of open terracing.
    You could be standing next to a moaning miserable old git and then move and stand next to..........another moaning miserable old git!

You could......but in those days, you often had to walk quite a long way to get anywhere near the the next nearest spectator.
    Too true. You could spot a mate fifty yards away and shout down at him. There would have been no hiding place for the likes of Lord Lucan.
  • I see supporters of other clubs get upset and angry when their team loses, they get drunk, fight with their partners, kick the dog (out of order), me I just shrug my shoulders, let out a sigh and say, after 70 years, I am used to it. (Sad really)
  • Sponsored links:

• Unfortunately the major thing that has changed for the he worse since the 1960s, when I first started going, is the hysterical over reaction to every result on the internet & social media.
  • Unfortunately the major thing that has changed for the he worse since the 1960s, when I first started going, is the hysterical over reaction to every result on the internet & social media.

That and the price of a ticket which translates into players wages. I think it goes hand in hand. People got upset in the past, but at least they perhaps didn't feel like they were blatantly getting ripped off in the process.

I remember when I first heard people talking about football as a "product" and likening it to going to the cinema or theatre in its entertainment value. Maybe that's true to an extent, but if you go and watch 11 people trying to put on a decent "show" in the West End, at a gig or down your local Odeon, I guarantee there won't be an equal number of people and some bloke in black trying their very best to fuck it up for them!
  • Simonsen said:

pettgra said:

Full members 1st round at Selhurst against Birmingham or Bradford ?

I wouldn't say not many people turned up,
    but they Announce the crowd changes to the players !

I was at that game and the next round against Hull, I think, about 600 fans at both games.
  • Just checked, 2nd round against Birmingham, 3rd round against Bradford.
  • 821 and 817 wasn't it?
  • iaitch said:

Simonsen said:

pettgra said:

I was at that game and the next round against Hull, I think, about 600 fans at both games.
    821 and 817 were the official gates.
  • I stand corrected, thank you.

The games were so boring that I was counting the crowd but something happened on the pitch and I lost count around the 600 mark.
  • Lets face it we have always been shit ! well not always but in my 50 years only 5/6 have been good seasons--so its mostly shit.

Been going since 1970, used to look forward to going did not give a shit about how the club was run. Which direction it was going in. How much players earn. When my parents did not have enough money I would watch half the game from the heights then walk in at half time. I knew most of our fans by name or recogintion. Most came from the surrounding areas and I knew from thet start that Charlton would be my team for life.
    I loved being part of the covered end as I got into my teens and enjoyed going when Andy Nelson, Mike Baily, Lennie Lawrence and Curbs were managing but have only seen Charlton twice at Wembley in the play off final and the few members cup. Not too much to shout about over the years but up to the start of the Duchelet take over I used to enjoy going to the Valley regardless of the football but sadly not anymore. I will be there today but it will be to see footballers playing for Charlton who I don't know and will not be living in Eltham, Charlton or anywhere near the Valley in the future so later generations won't bump in to old players in the future and talk about the poor old days.
    RD, KM, GL you will all die and fade away before CAFC does but how long will it take for this amazing club to go back to being the club that I fell in love with like so many others on here.
    Demonstrat you bet your life but the first thing I would like to see is a bouycott of the Valley shop, programmes and everything on sale inside the staduim. Valley Gold as well until we see our club returned to us
  • iaitch said:

Simonsen said:

pettgra said:

821 and 817 were the official gates.

Lets face it we have always been shit ! well not always but in my 50 years only 5/6 have been good seasons--so its mostly shit.

Been going since 1970, used to look forward to going did not give a shit about how the club was run. Which direction it was going in. How much players earn. When my parents did not have enough money I would watch half the game from the heights then walk in at half time. I knew most of our fans by name or recogintion. Most came from the surrounding areas and I knew from thet start that Charlton would be my team for life.
    I loved being part of the covered end as I got into my teens and enjoyed going when Andy Nelson, Mike Baily, Lennie Lawrence and Curbs were managing but have only seen Charlton twice at Wembley in the play off final and the few members cup. Not too much to shout about over the years but up to the start of the Duchelet take over I used to enjoy going to the Valley regardless of the football but sadly not anymore. I will be there today but it will be to see footballers playing for Charlton who I don't know and will not be living in Eltham, Charlton or anywhere near the Valley in the future so later generations won't bump in to old players in the future and talk about the poor old days.
    RD, KM, GL you will all die and fade away before CAFC does but how long will it take for this amazing club to go back to being the club that I fell in love with like so many others on here.
    Demonstrat you bet your life but the first thing I would like to see is a bouycott of the Valley shop, programmes and everything on sale inside the staduim. Valley Gold as well until we see our club returned to us
    Penutimate paragraph=spot on.
  • Agree with that. Boycotts of games don't really work, because too many people are emotionally vested in the team. But boycotting club merchandise - surely everyone can get through 2 hours without buying food and drink. You don't need anything from the club shop and you don't need a program.