Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our recruitment policy

In the old days of football, the manager bought the players and took the can if they turned out to be donkeys. These days, as we've seen in the PL, clubs have Directors of Football and transfer committees, so that when clubs like Spurs, Liverpool, Sunderland and Villa bring in loads of rubbish, it's less clear who's fault it is.

We're the same. It was clearly a decision to spend (decent sums) on young foreign players from around Europe's leagues, and even the 2 players we signed from English clubs (Ba and Ceballos) fall into the same category of players unproven in this division. Indeed many of these players have hardly played ANY games at first team level (Ba, Sarr, Ceballos) so perhaps it's hardly surprising that they're struggling to cope with the intensity of the Championship, especially when surrounded by kids. And it IS hard to settle in a new country, the failure of most British players to succeed abroad shows this.

After the failures of so many of our previous "exotic" signings, Reza, Tucudean, Piotr, Lepoint plus all the network signings and loans, it's obvious that lessons haven't been learnt. The sad thing, is that I thought we had learnt the lesson last February when we signed Diarra, Johnson and Eagles, all experienced pros. Johnson and Diarra had barely played in a year, but slotted straight into the team, due to their experience. Apparently not...

Comments

• Ba / Sarr / Ceballos / Watt they're all kids themselves though... We dont exactly have one of the oldest, most experienced squads (i.e. Jackson / Diarra are the only two experienced heads within the side that I can think of)
  • Ba / Sarr / Ceballos / Watt they're all kids themselves though... We dont exactly have one of the oldest, most experienced squads (i.e. Jackson / Diarra are the only two experienced heads within the side that I can think of)

That's what I was getting at, you bring in 22 year olds that have no experience of English football, so it's hardly surprising that when the team is struggling they REALLY struggle

That's what I was getting at, you bring in 22 year olds that have no experience of English football, so it's hardly surprising that when the team is struggling they REALLY struggle
    It is a pity some of the morons around me in the Lower West cannot read this comment as it is so obvious and right. I considered some of the abuse last night was an absolute disgrace particularly when some so called 'supporters' stayed behind just to boo off Guy Luzon and the team. The guy in the Lower West around about L20 should be sectioned and locked away in a room full of English language books as his obscene language is disgusting and he should be banned from the ground.
  • So fans (paying customers) are not entitled to vent their anger waldo?
  • D_F_T said:

So fans (paying customers) are not entitled to vent their anger waldo?

If they have to use foul, abusive and disgusting language to do so perhaps they should keep quiet. Also do you really believe genuine fans/supporters stay behind to boo 'their' team off the pitch after a thumping defeat - I suspect you are probably in that category.
  • waldo said:

Ba / Sarr / Ceballos / Watt they're all kids themselves though... We dont exactly have one of the oldest, most experienced squads (i.e. Jackson / Diarra are the only two experienced heads within the side that I can think of)

It is a pity some of the morons around me in the Lower West cannot read this comment as it is so obvious and right. I considered some of the abuse last night was an absolute disgrace particularly when some so called 'supporters' stayed behind just to boo off Guy Luzon and the team. The guy in the Lower West around about L20 should be sectioned and locked away in a room full of English language books as his obscene language is disgusting and he should be banned from the ground.
    Sorry, just read that properly abuse coming from the Lower West.

Things are bad...

Seriously, I'm not sure what the answer is though. Do the players need time, in which case we're going to struggle while they adapt, or are they just wrong, in which case we're stuck with more player on long contracts that we'll end up selling at a loss or loaning out while still paying a chunk of their wages?
  • D_F_T said:

Definitely entitled to vent their anger, just make sure it's vented in the right direction. We boo and jeer Luzon, he gets the sack, in comes another Network Numpty, he's treated to a couple of new players, results pick up for a bit and then they start going downhill. We start jeering the head coach, he gets the sack, etc, etc.

Direct your anger at the directors' box, that's where the problem is (well, in the directors' box and in a secret cave somewhere in Belgium). Make us look stupid giving the players and coach grief.
  • MrLargo said:

D_F_T said:

Definitely entitled to vent their anger, just make sure it's vented in the right direction. We boo and jeer Luzon, he gets the sack, in comes another Network Numpty, he's treated to a couple of new players, results pick up for a bit and then they start going downhill. We start jeering the head coach, he gets the sack, etc, etc.

Direct your anger at the directors' box, that's where the problem is (well, in the directors' box and in a secret cave somewhere in Belgium). Make us look stupid giving the players and coach grief.
    That, in a way, is fair comment but I am told G.L's wife and young son sit in there with K.M. (see photo in other comment somewhere(!)) and I doubt many posters on here would like their wifes/partners/children etc. to hear the sort of vitriol that is becoming quite regular from certain so called supporters.
  • waldo said:

Ba / Sarr / Ceballos / Watt they're all kids themselves though... We dont exactly have one of the oldest, most experienced squads (i.e. Jackson / Diarra are the only two experienced heads within the side that I can think of)

Sorry, just read that properly abuse coming from the Lower West.

Things are bad...

Seriously, I'm not sure what the answer is though. Do the players need time, in which case we're going to struggle while they adapt, or are they just wrong, in which case we're stuck with more player on long contracts that we'll end up selling at a loss or loaning out while still paying a chunk of their wages?
    No problems K and F (those were the days!)
  • It's not just recruitment, it is who we have let go or sold for peanuts...

Stephens - regular and popular at top of table Brighton
    Morro - skipper, regular and popular at second placed Birmingham
    Kermy - helped Bournemouth to promotion
    Poyet - not really pushed on but would have him back in a heart beat personally

Just exceptionally poor decisions those ones frankly, and to think, people on here thought Bikey was a street ahead of Morrow!

Then there is managers...wasn't Rowett available when we went for Peeters or Luzon?
  • Sponsored links:

Just exceptionally poor decisions those ones frankly, and to think, people on here thought Bikey was a street ahead of Morrow!

Then there is managers...wasn't Rowett available when we went for Peeters or Luzon?

I'd happily take TBH back also, makes Sarr look like a donkey in headlights.. Infact Sarr does that to himself.
  • An English manager will cost 3x that of a Belgian so forget that. 4 transfer windows into RDs watch and the squad has no more quality because he is replacing experienced players with punts. With the demise of our GB based scouting system it will get worse & we can only rely only lucky buys like Bauer. We must be scraping the barrel to be over budget with some of our regulars & kids. What are Mcaleny, Sarr and Makeniok earning compared to Pigott, Harriott and Lennon? The latter are tearing it up in a division we could be finding our selves in next year. Two of our biggest earners (and best players Kashi, Igor seemingly injured indefinitely - will they be here inJanuary?)
  • We really seem rudderless, first Chris Powell, Colin Powell, Ben Roberts, and Phil Chapple, is there any old branches that haven't been cut off yet?
  • waldo said:

Massive apology. That should read L120!
  • waldo said:

And that's in the Lower West, can imagine what it was like in the North, East etc.

Completely agree. Add to the sales the release of Johnson (we need experience at CB) and Eagles (we don't have a wide left player) and you find it highlights that awful board level decisions which come from KM's inexperience. Why didn't she get more money for those leaving (bar Poyet, he's a Judas)? Look at the Gomez fee too.

She's just frankly not good at her job and it's costing us. Add to that RD thinks he's playing Champ Man and we find ourselves waist deep.
  • KM wasn't chosen for her football or executive management experience so the disastrous recruitment is no surprise and cannot be to the RD either. She is / was the experiment. The biggest lift the club could have is her leaving.