Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stands Named After Ex-Charlton Players

Does anyone know of any stands or grounds that are named after ex-Charlton players?

I know of one, but I can't think of any others.

Comments

• The Steve South stand at The Valley.......
  • Riviera said:

The Steve South stand at The Valley.......

And the Roy North stand, named after the Basil Brush co-star
  • Charlie MacDonald's Family East Stand
  • The Lisbie Missit stand at Watford.
  • The Covered End sponsored by Durex

Surely you mean the Cupboard End sponsored by Oak Furniture Land
  • The Lisbie Missit stand at Watford.

Similar at Sunderland.

• It could be that the one I know about is the only ex-Charlton player who has a stand named after him ?

It's at the ground of a club he played for earlier in his career, before he moved to Charlton. The stand is still there today. He played in UEFA competition after he left Charlton.
  • Is it Scott Parker @ Newcastle?

The Wonga Stand?
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think anyone's going to take this thread seriously, apart fro the OP. Which is fine by me, I just wish I could think of something funny yo add. Colin bell end, love it.
  • The Yann Kermorgant Stand at The King Power
  • I think Colin Bell won the popular vote. Man utd fans mostly
  • drewman said:

I don't think anyone's going to take this thread seriously, apart fro the OP.

Yeah I thought some of the historians would have been interested. The stand is called the Shed End by the fans. Not sure when the player signed for Charlton but I guess late 60s/early 70s
  • The Siddarn Stand
  • IA said:

drewman said:

Yeah I thought some of the historians would have been interested. The stand is called the Shed End by the fans. Not sure when the player signed for Charlton but I guess late 60s/early 70s
    Don't worry I'm interested.....I 'll try Ray Treacey at somewhere in Ireland?
  • IA said:

drewman said:

Treacey is a good guess but not correct (as far as I know). I'll post a photo of the stand later. "Shed End" is generous. My garden shed etc
  • Not a charlton player, but Manchester City were thinking of having the Colin Bell end.

This was a very good idea because if you gave it a really good polish, the Bell End grew in size and you could get loads more spectators in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a charlton player, but Manchester City were thinking of having the Colin Bell end.

Well, they did, nearly. The snag with all the amusing comments is that the Colin Bell Stand is on the west side of the pitch - not at an end.
  • IA said:

IA said:

drewman said:

Treacey is a good guess but not correct (as far as I know). I'll post a photo of the stand later. "Shed End" is generous. My garden shed etc
    Here's a photo of the stand I'm talking about

• Riviera said:

The Steve South stand at The Valley.......

And the Roy North stand, named after the Basil Brush co-star
    Boom boom
  • Not Whyteleafe, no. Not Alan Pardew. :smile:
  • Well this thread has been inundated with guesses.

The ex-Charlton star who has a stand named after him is none other than John Minnock. The stand is at Richmond Park in Dublin, home to St Patrick's Athletic (League of Ireland champions 2013 and Cup Winners 2014), and the stand was built with the money they received from the transfer of Minnock to Charlton.

Before my time, but I had a look for information on him. Charlton didn't know what to do with him, apparently, so he went back to Ireland where he was part of an Athlone Town team that played in Europe.

He is best known for playing in the Athlone team that hosted AC Milan in the UEFA Cup. Here's a video clip about that day. Athlone used the conditions to their advantage and held Milan out until eventually, they (Athlone) won a penalty.

John Minnock stepped up to take it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLc40Ew3lD8

and missed.

Athlone drew 0-0 that day, but lost the return leg 3-0.
  • Good stuff IA.

Truly so obscure it's no wonder there were few guesses. Interesting though and I appreciate you posting it.
  • Vincenzo said:

Good stuff IA.

Truly so obscure it's no wonder there were few guesses. Interesting though and I appreciate you posting it.

Very obscure. I heard the story last week so thought I'd post on here. Given they have a stand named after him, you would think he was an important player for St Patrick's but it doesn't seem the case at all. They just named the stand after the way they got the money to build it. Presumably the other stands are called "the 1972 club lottery stand" and "the insurance claim stand".

Not sure if he's still alive. That video is from the early 90s, from what he mentions about a "Belgian team" (Standard Liege).
  • Perhaps we should name our new pitch after Yann Kermorgant...
  • edited October 2015
    The Jose Semed......