Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Sutherland - The Selhurst Years and the Commentary from the last Game at the Valley.

To mark the 30th Anniversary of leaving the Valley the Charlton Athletic Museum is hosting an evening about that era

We've got a never previously heard (we think) 30 minute commentary of the "last" game at the Valley including crowd noises, chants, songs etc

And then we've got Steve Sutherland, who was commercial manager at the time, on what it was like to try and run a football club in exile.

More details to follow but 5th November at the Museum. Free to members. Just £5 to everyone else.

Comments

• How does one become a Museum Member?

Apologies if posted elsewhere and I have missed it but I can only recall a discussion about POSSIBLY introducing various categories of Museum membership.
  • Len, it is £20 a year or £250 for life.

Cheque or bank transfer

Ben

• If that recording is the cassette tape I have, then it is the worst one ever made!!
  • It's the only one made ever.

Desmond Jones, the guy who made the recording is going to be talking about it too.
  • Do you need to reserve places or just turn up?
  • edited October 2015

If that recording is the cassette tape I have, then it is the worst one ever made!!

It's quite fun though. I believe the club warned him off distributing it, but I've got one somewhere. Hard to believe it was worth the club's attention.
  • Yeah trumpets linking it all together. "and here comes stoke city!" ha ha.
  • Curb_It said:

Do you need to reserve places or just turn up?

Let us know if your coming along (I know you're a member) so we can decide on the venue. We've got a bigger room available if a lot of people turn up.

But people will be able to see the museum either way.
  • If that recording is the cassette tape I have, then it is the worst one ever made!!

It's quite fun though. I believe the club warned him off distributing it, but I've got one somewhere. Hard to believe it was worth the club's attention.
    I've got it on CD now but haven't listened to it yet.

Time means that it should be interesting to hear again now.
  • edited October 2015
    I've got some moody old cassette recording of the "last game" commentary somewhere too. I thought it was some bloke called Ian Brittain, or something like that, talking + but maybe I'm wrong.

Any bells ringing with anyone on that name?

(I should add that I probably haven't listened to it for at least 20 years, probably more, so would be amazed if that was right)
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

I've got some moody old cassette recording of the "last game" commentary somewhere too. I thought it was some bloke called Ian Brittain, or something like that, talking + but maybe I'm wrong.

Any bells ringing with anyone on that name?

(I should add that I probably haven't listened to it for at least 20 years, probably more, so would be amazed if that was right)

Sounds familiar.
  • You reckon it's the same one or could there be two moody recordings doing the rounds?

If it's a different one I'd happily donate it to the museum - assuming I can find it.
  • edited October 2015
    Off_it said:

You reckon it's the same one or could there be two moody recordings doing the rounds?

If it's a different one I'd happily donate it to the museum - assuming I can find it.

I've never heard of there being two, but I guess it's possible. I had a quick look to see if I could find the ad in the local press, which must have been where I found out about it as there was no other source at the time, but I can't see it. The one I've got (somewhere) had a photocopied B/W insert, I think.
  • Cheers. Sounds like the same one.

Seem to remember the b/w photocopied insert being a picture very similar (ie stolen) from the Junior Reds logo of the time - a young fella in a charlton kit holding a scarf above his head.

I can't remember what I did last week, but I can remember that!
  • If you are a member you should have received the email below today inviting you to the event.

If you are a member and haven't got the email or would like to join can you email Ian on ianlwallis@aol.com

It's £20 a year or £250 for life

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good afternoon

On Thursday 5 November, Steve Sutherland will be giving a talk at the Museum, entitled 'The Selhurst Years'. and Desmond Jones will be presenting a 30 minute film of the Stoke game, which was thought at the time to be the final match at the Valley. This may represent one of the most unhappy periods in Charlton's history, but that does not make it any less interesting and I feel sure that it will be a fascinating evening and after all it did have a happy ending !!.

Please confirm if you wish to attend by sending an email to cafchistorian@gmail.com. It will be strictly first come first served and space is very limited. It will be FREE for Museum Friends and £5 all others.

Try to arrive between 6.00 and 6.30

Regards

Ian
  • Just to confirm it is the same recording and yes there is a story regarding the clubs response.

Whilst it's definitely 'of its time' if you have not heard it for a few years then come along and discover the full story behind it.

There are some fascinating snippets of fans in the Antigallican before the game.

We hope to show the match footage we have as wallpaper to the recording so along with Steve's talk on the Selhurst years it should prove a very interesting night.
  • I'm coming plus Ian.

Looking forward to it.

• To mark the 30th Anniversary of leaving the Valley the Charlton Athletic Museum is hosting an evening about that era

We've got a never previously heard (we think) 30 minute commentary of the "last" game at the Valley including crowd noises, chants, songs etc

And then we've got Steve Sutherland, who was commercial manager at the time, on what it was like to try and run a football club in exile.

More details to follow but 5th November at the Museum. Free to members. Just £5 to everyone else.

I do hope the chants include the repetition of 'Have a piss, have a piss, have a piss...' to the tune of Stars and Stripes when that bloke climbed the floodlight pylon.
  • We've got over 20 people confirmed already but still have spaces.

cafchistorian@gmail.com to book a place or find out more
  • 25 people booked now. book a place now before they all go as only space for 30.
  • Sponsored links:

• Will there be canapés at this one?

Actually do you want me to bring something? Some coop sausage rolls or owt?
  • I'll inbox you
  • Thanks hon.

• Curb_It said:

Thanks hon.

Someone s been on the turps again!