Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zabeel Investments to buy Charlton Athletic (Seven Years ago today)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Charlton are far, far better off now than if that deal had gone through,
  • Options

You @cabbles are the M&S sandwich platter in a bag full of Lidl produce

I prefer that cables bloke though.
  • Options

Few things stood out from that attached thread.

1. Pages and pages of non-bickering. No snidey, trolling, arsehole posts, days before socia media properly kicked in and people started routinely behaving online like twats.

2. @Ollywozere seemed to know more what was going on at the club then than he does now :-)

3. 'Gonna be a long weekend i think. Statement of intent, but nothing signed. Won't get too carried away until it is' - it was this kind of form that saw me go on and win the Sidcup Voice of Reason award 2009, 2011 and 2012.

You forgot to mention @tavern rushing down to the ground to get his boat on the telly
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

You @cabbles are the M&S sandwich platter in a bag full of Lidl produce

I prefer that cables bloke though.
    :smiley:@Henry Irving has a lot to answer for
  • Options
    Chizz said:

How?
  • Options
    Dodged a bullet, the Dubai economy tanked within days and Zabeel have been trying to sort out its billions of debt since then

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/rich-countries/5-reasons-why-dubai-is-crumbling/
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

1. Pages and pages of non-bickering. No snidey, trolling, arsehole posts, days before socia media properly kicked in and people started routinely behaving online like twats.

2. @Ollywozere seemed to know more what was going on at the club then than he does now :-)

3. 'Gonna be a long weekend i think. Statement of intent, but nothing signed. Won't get too carried away until it is' - it was this kind of form that saw me go on and win the Sidcup Voice of Reason award 2009, 2011 and 2012.

You forgot to mention @tavern rushing down to the ground to get his boat on the telly
    Ha! Just been reading that thread. We lived five mins from the Valley then so he was going to get cash out on the way to the pub! Although he could've got cash out at the village as he was going to the Bugle. Neither of us ever saw that interview.

We were still preening from our football focus interview at that stage!

Very exciting evening. What a massive disappointment.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

_MrDick said:

Ha! Just been reading that thread. We lived five mins from the Valley then so he was going to get cash out on the way to the pub! Although he could've got cash out at the village as he was going to the Bugle. Neither of us ever saw that interview.

We were still preening from our football focus interview at that stage!

Very exciting evening. What a massive disappointment.
    Which was the bigger disappointment for Tavern? The interview not being aired or the number of chips in a potion.
  • Options

Chizz said:

How?
    I can imagine enormous amounts being invested on players, on long-term contracts. And, at the same time, the club saddled with debt.

And all this happening just before the global economic crisis.

A middle-eastern investment fund would find it very easy to switch off the lights on an investment that is so far from its core geographical and investment profile.

I genuinely wanted that deal to go through at the time. Now, with hindsight, I genuinely think, if it had done, there would be no Charlton Athletic now.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

How?
    I can imagine enormous amounts being invested on players, on long-term contracts. And, at the same time, the club saddled with debt.

A middle-eastern investment fund would find it very easy to switch off the lights on an investment that is so far from its core geographical and investment profile.

I genuinely wanted that deal to go through at the time. Now, with hindsight, I genuinely think, if it had done, there would be no Charlton Athletic now.
    Is this not happening now with this owner ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    cafc1263 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

How?

No

• Options

cafc1263 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

How?

No

Isn't the club now carrying something like £50m in high interest loans?

I think my opinion of RD would be lifted slightly if those were ever converted to equity. Though I'll admit I really don't know enough about that stuff.
  • Options
    Ok then.

Yes
  • Options
    Ha, if only all debates on here were concluded like that :-)
  • Options
    Y

Ha, if only all debates on here were concluded like that :-)

Yes.
    End of.
  • Options

cafc1263 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

How?

No

Isn't the club now carrying something like £50m in high interest loans?

I think my opinion of RD would be lifted slightly if those were ever converted to equity. Though I'll admit I really don't know enough about that stuff.
    I think the numbers that Zabeel would have (had to) throw at Charlton would have been significantly more than RD has.
  • Options
    They may have had the funds but would they have thrown them at us?