Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snow Leopard on Mac.

I have see several reports that Safari Snow Leopard has been discontinued.Does any one know if I can upgrade to a later Safari Browser,my Computer is Seven years old.I am using Firefox as well which is OK,or is it time to save the pennies and buy a later model.

Comments

• Get google chrome or upgrade your firefox if it's not the latest version?

both are better than Safari.
  • If you're running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) you should (I think) be able to upgrade to Yosemite/El Capitan from the App Store. I believe the key to it will be your hardware and if it is compatible.

As you say, you can run Firefox on Snow Leopard so you shouldn't have any reason to buy a new mac - but that depends on what you want your mac to be able to do. The new macs are superb and El Capitan if pretty good also.
  • Couldn't find one on a Mac but here's one on a tee-shirt.....

• El Capitan just came out earlier last week. Just about to download and install it as I've just had a job signed off I had been working on so didn't want to upgrade. Will let you know my thoughts, but it should be free for you to get. Just hope your hardware is up to it?
  • Time to upgrade your overpriced laptop pretending to be a desktop
  • edited October 2015
    That's a standard leopard this is a snow leopard:
  • Derek1952 said:

I have see several reports that Safari Snow Leopard has been discontinued.Does any one know if I can upgrade to a later Safari Browser,my Computer is Seven years old.I am using Firefox as well which is OK,or is it time to save the pennies and buy a later model.

Seems we are in the same boat........ my 'i'mac has snow leopard, and ben advised not to, but that was Apple at Bluewater. Mine is 8 years old but did have a new hard disc.
    My 'Macbook pro' has been upgraded at Bluewater to Maverick, which was 12 months ago, since then Yosemite and now El Capitan have been introduced. Not sure that the Macbook likes the Quark xpress I have on it. (version '9'), and I am pretty certain that indesign/photoshop that I have installed will not work on the 'i'mac, CS4.
    Bad enough buying a new mac, but then I will have to buy a new version of CS, which as you will be aware I have to get a yearly licence for.
    Normally I would change the mac's every three years, but that is beyond my budget.

Think I will take the imac off line, run it into the ground ( in the past would have used it as a scanner),until the hard disc crashes. See if I can run the mac pro with an OS upgrade.
    Quite why Apple need to upgrade there OS system twice a year, leaves me bewildered. As the apple genius quipped last year, 'your vintage mac'.
    Guy next to me also trying to update, with the said same computer 'that's because we are dinosaur's son'......
  • Thanks to every one who replied it was kind of you to take the trouble.For now I will carry on with Snow Leopard, and Firefox.I did try Google Chrome but was not too keen on that.
  • edited October 2015
    Only update your Snow Leopard to a later OS if your hardware, particularly memory, is at the top of the range for the time you bought it. Otherwise, stick with using Firefox and/or Chrome instead of Safari on Snow Leopard.
  • Dazzler21 said:

That's a standard leopard this is a snow leopard:

QVC exclusive.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Computer came with Mountain Lion when I bought it,I have since updated it with Snow Leopard.
  • Derek1952 said:

The Computer came with Mountain Lion when I bought it,I have since updated it with Snow Leopard.

snow leopard is older than mountain lion. More of a downgrade.

El Capitan is actually making my mac run a bit faster as i felt it was lagging a bit (mines a late 2011 imac).