Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weird request on CL part 482 - Football in the cinema

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
Not films about football but football matches being shown in cinemas

I know that Charlton had a game filmed in 1947 (1 - 1 v Burnley) and the players then went to the local cinema to watch a private viewing but does anyone remember any games being shown live or even recorded at cinemas.

Doesn't have to be Charlton games, just any games at all.

Obviously before the days of ubiquitous TV coverage.

Comments

• I think the 1966 world cup final was shown live in some English cinemas.
  • I never have but think that it would be pretty cool. I reckon it would be a mare to organise these days with all the licensing and TV rights though.

I'd love to watch an international match with a huge picture and surround sound like you get in a cinema.
  • Don't know about football but I know a few boxing fights have been shown in cinemas before
  • cafc999 said:

Don't know about football but I know a few boxing fights have been shown in cinemas before

Yeah, remember the big Ali/Frazier/Foreman fights but not many football matches.

A journo was asking the museum.
  • Watched the Italy France 06 WC Final at the Odeon (then Filmworks) cinema at North Greenwich
  • does anyone remember any games being shown live or even recorded at cinemas.

Doubt they would be recorded in cinemas to be honest.

Probably quite difficult to get the goalposts and grass etc in, and there would be seats in the way ...
  • A number of Odeon venues showed England v Ukraine qualifier for the 2010 WC. It wasn't available on TV.
  • Im sure the 2002? World cup (the early morning kick offs)
  • Nice little feature in this months FourFourTwo including a mention of Charlton, Jimmy Seed and the Charlton Athletic Museum.