Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charge to use Blackwall Tunnel

2»

Comments

• Options
    I’ve always thought we were treated as the poor relation in Southeast London.

There are 270 underground stations and 45 Dockland light rail stations and they roughly follow the same ideology of the Black cab drivers - hardly any serve south of the river.

So we have an inferior transport system, a congestion charge which is nigh on impossible to avoid and now the prospect of being charged for the pleasure of simply crossing the river.

We are all Londoners contributing to the London economy. We can’t all live north of the Thames so why are we treated so differently?
  • Options
    Incidentally, There is only one Tube station which does not have any letters of the word 'mackerel' in it: St John's Wood.
  • Options
    I think there is something wrong with having to pay to cross a river from within your own town.
  • Options
    Just the 1hr 5mins from Petts Wood to Canary Wharf this morning through the tunnel...and that was a reasonably good day!
  • Options

The video (and I know it is only an artist impression) shows the peninsular jammed solid with massive appartment blocks. I guess this representation is probably fairly close to reality. Clearly the developers are going to make an absolute fortune. As part of the plannng approval they should be made to fund the infrastructure improvement including the new tunnel.

Need to expand the ground quickly so we can cope with the huge number of new season ticket holders we are likely to have coming our way when these flats are built.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Watching the video on that link it looks like the tunnel is effectively one bloody lane! The other one is a bus lane! That's really going to sort out the congestion...

Bus and TAXI I hope!!!!!
  • Options

Swisdom said:

I find it incredible that TfL can't even spell queueing correctly On their own website

"queuing"

Apologies for going off topic, but out of interest, is 'queueing' the only English word with 5 vowels in a row?
    Going even further off topic, bookkeeper (and its derivatives) is as far as I know the only English word with three contiguous pairs of letters.
  • Options
    I personally think we should have listened to Bill Boakes manifesto, and cemented in the Thames to reduce traffic congestion.
  • Options

I think there is something wrong with having to pay to cross a river from within your own town.

When I was in Budapest last December there were massive, well supported protests at the proposal to bring in charges on the bridges between the twin cities. Sadly I fear most of us would shrug our shoulders and leave it to someone else, or complain how the protests had made them late for work that day.
  • Options

When I was in Budapest last December there were massive, well supported protests at the proposal to bring in charges on the bridges between the twin cities. Sadly I fear most of us would shrug our shoulders and leave it to someone else, or complain how the protests had made them late for work that day.
    We could perhaps call a meeting in an old disused cinema in Woolwich ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Swisdom said:

I find it incredible that TfL can't even spell queueing correctly On their own website

"queuing"

Apologies for going off topic, but out of interest, is 'queueing' the only English word with 5 vowels in a row?
    Uoeuae is longer. There's a few with five but cooeeing is the most common word after queueing.
    Definition: The noise one makes when having a particularly satisfying shit.

• Options

We could perhaps call a meeting in an old disused cinema in Woolwich ?

Loved the cinema by the ferry saw
    level 42 there in 84

• Options
    Proposing 4/5 years to build it all. Imagine how much worse the traffic at blackwall will be during this time.
  • Options

Proposing 4/5 years to build it all. Imagine how much worse the traffic at blackwall will be during this time.

Nah - they'll just introduce the charge beforehand. That'll make the traffic much lighter, because people will then decide to magically use all the other alternative routes into the city from South East London and Kent...