Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goalkeepers

Many of us fans have been shouting about which position we need new players in. I've not had much to say on the matter. I now believe we need more than anything, a new keeper.
Pope is a likeable young lad and not an awful keeper, but we can't afford his repeated blunders.
Henderson is a good keeper, however his injury problems which cause him to miss about a third of the season, every season. Means we cannot rely on him.
I would like to see an experienced keeper come in. Possibly a No2 from a Premiership side. I confess I don't know who....
The decision to let Dmitrovic go out on loan seems strange and I have no knowledge as to how good Mitov is, but suspect he isn't actually ready yet.

Comments

• Everyone goes on about Pope's mistakes, (which hopefully, as he gets more experienced, will stop), but have you seen the blunders by other more experienced goalies over the weekend, and last week, (ask Wenger, he has got a world class goalkeeper). If he has a problem with low shots at the moment, why are our defenders not getting in there first before the forwards, to cover for him. All players make mistakes, look at some of the shots by "world class strikers" that are wide of the mark, but if a goalkeeper makes one, it normally leads to a goal. Obviously Henderson is better, mainly because of his experience and he controls his box, (Pope does not do this yet), but given time, I personally think, providing supporters do not get on his back, that he will become a very good goalkeeper, just give him time, and hope when Henderson comes back, he can stay fit for longer than usual
  • ross1 said:

Everyone goes on about Pope's mistakes, (which hopefully, as he gets more experienced, will stop), but have you seen the blunders by other more experienced goalies over the weekend, and last week, (ask Wenger, he has got a world class goalkeeper). If he has a problem with low shots at the moment, why are our defenders not getting in there first before the forwards, to cover for him. All players make mistakes, look at some of the shots by "world class strikers" that are wide of the mark, but if a goalkeeper makes one, it normally leads to a goal. Obviously Henderson is better, mainly because of his experience and he controls his box, (Pope does not do this yet), but given time, I personally think, providing supporters do not get on his back, that he will become a very good goalkeeper, just give him time, and hope when Henderson comes back, he can stay fit for longer than usual

I agree but Pope seems to be making the same mistake time and time again and it is beginning to cost us.
  • We have 5 pro keepers on the books and yet 2 of them we have out on loan so cannot replace Pope, a stupid situation to find put ourselves in
  • No one wants to put the boot in on a young player but his errors are the same ones every time. Ball bouncing out of his grasp and back to the feet of the opposition forwards will more often than not be punished. Saying defenders should protect him by stopping the shots is ludicrous. WTF do you think they're trying to do? They're not deliberately allowing shots at their keeoer. Stupid thing to say!!!!
  • We are up to 8 weeks since the op for Henderson.
    With the two week break, should he not be back a couple of weeks after that ?
    Our Serbian lad used to get stuck on his line but as in all things CAFC,
    your always a better player when your not in the team or out on loan.
    Plus when our loanees do well in lower leagues they should come back and step
    up. Like Nick Pope when he kept the record clean sheets at York and Bury.
    At Wolves, Pope saved a very hard low shot at his body but teams must be aware of this now.
    Really don't want CAFC spending money on a keeper if Hendo can be fit soon.

• edited October 2015
    ross1 said:

Everyone goes on about Pope's mistakes, (which hopefully, as he gets more experienced, will stop), but have you seen the blunders by other more experienced goalies over the weekend, and last week, (ask Wenger, he has got a world class goalkeeper). If he has a problem with low shots at the moment, why are our defenders not getting in there first before the forwards, to cover for him. All players make mistakes, look at some of the shots by "world class strikers" that are wide of the mark, but if a goalkeeper makes one, it normally leads to a goal. Obviously Henderson is better, mainly because of his experience and he controls his box, (Pope does not do this yet), but given time, I personally think, providing supporters do not get on his back, that he will become a very good goalkeeper, just give him time, and hope when Henderson comes back, he can stay fit for longer than usual

I think we would all like to see Pope develop into our first choice keeper and he may well yet. But the truth of the matter is that he clearly has a weakness spilling certain types of shots. We know that and our opposition knows that and it is costing us points we can ill afford to gift our competitors in what will be another tight season.

The guy's confidence must be shot to pieces, whether or not the crowd get on his back. We saw it with Ilic years ago when Curbs tried to play him back into form and eventually dropped him about 5/6 games too late. I'm not a fan of knee jerk decisions but this has already been going on too long and he needs time out of the side to work on his weakness before it's too late for both parties.
  • edited October 2015
    Not good enough, never has been unfortunately.

Those saying that he is young and will improve need to understand that he actually has 100 plus competitive appearances to his name but yet doesn't seem to have the natural ability required.
  • ross1 said:

I think we would all like to see Pope develop into our first choice keeper and may well yet. But the truth of the matter is that he clearly has a weakness spilling certain types of shots. We know that and our opposition knows that and it is costing us points we can ill afford to gift our competitors in what will be another tight season.

The guy's confidence must be shot to pieces, whether or not the crowd get on his back. We saw it with Ilic years ago when Curbs tried to play him back into form and eventually dropped him about 5/6 games too late. I'm not a fan of knee jerk decisions but this has already been going on too long and he needs time out of the side to work on his weakness before it's too late for both parties.
    I'm afraid to say this is spot on.

• Taxi_Lad said:

No one wants to put the boot in on a young player but his errors are the same ones every time. Ball bouncing out of his grasp and back to the feet of the opposition forwards will more often than not be punished. Saying defenders should protect him by stopping the shots is ludicrous. WTF do you think they're trying to do? They're not deliberately allowing shots at their keeoer. Stupid thing to say!!!!

If you are referring to my comments, I did not mean the defenders to stop the original shot, but like the Fulham players today, be aware and follow the ball in, so if Pope does spill it, they can clear it before the striker gets there. Today, we had 2 Fulham players there before our defenders moved, not good enough
  • ross1 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

No one wants to put the boot in on a young player but his errors are the same ones every time. Ball bouncing out of his grasp and back to the feet of the opposition forwards will more often than not be punished. Saying defenders should protect him by stopping the shots is ludicrous. WTF do you think they're trying to do? They're not deliberately allowing shots at their keeoer. Stupid thing to say!!!!

If you are referring to my comments, I did not mean the defenders to stop the original shot, but like the Fulham players today, be aware and follow the ball in, so if Pope does spill it, they can clear it before the striker gets there. Today, we had 2 Fulham players there before our defenders moved, not good enough
    Fair enough. Makes more sense
  • Sponsored links:

• Are we obliged to play a certain number of 'homegrown' or 'English' players?

With all the Europeans in the squad is this a reason why we kept Pope and sent Dmitrovic out on loan?