Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    Might not be the last shooting this week.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Might not be the last shooting this week.
    You planning something then?.. 
  • Options
    Found out that one of my former work colleagues in Connecticut who is from Iowa....her niece was a teacher in the school.....she is safe but they need to stop this madness over here
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Found out that one of my former work colleagues in Connecticut who is from Iowa....her niece was a teacher in the school.....she is safe but they need to stop this madness over here
    How? There are more guns than people
  • Options
    If you’re rich, well educated and American then life is pretty good. As soon as you start to come down the money and education ladder it gets progressively worse and you don’t need to be near the bottom rung before life is very difficult. A wonderful but deeply flawed country and culture. 
    Yes, very well observed.

I'll try and find some time later to post about how a perceived uptick in shoplifting is leading to absolute martial law being imposed. It's no coincidence when a pregnant woman then gets shot.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Although he's been misquoted there, Trump argued that the long history of deadly school shootings in the US is “not a gun problem”. He instead blamed the issue on Democrats, mental health issues, marijuana and the transgender community.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68223118

First time a parent has been found guilty of manslaughter after a mass shooting perpetrated by their child.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a thing for a parent to go through.

'I wish he had killed us instead.'
  • Options
    "School officials sent him back to class without checking his backpack, which contained a gun."

So if the parents are being charged, why aren't the school officials? 
  • Options
    "School officials sent him back to class without checking his backpack, which contained a gun."

They didn't buy an underage person a gun?
  • Options
    Do they normally check children’s backpacks for guns?
  • Options
    And probably weren't aware he even owned a gun, let alone would bring it to school. 
  • Options
    And probably weren't aware he even owned a gun, let alone would bring it to school. 
    I read yesterday that they knew he had a gun and it wasn't registered. 
  • Options
    edited February 7

They are, or at least were at one point I believe. The issue is what specifically they can be legally charged with I think - common sense says the school should have checked but that doesn't automatically mean they were legally obligated to (I think.)
  • Options
    edited February 7
    The school did? I know the parents knew because they bought it for him. 

If so, other than reporting it to the police not sure what else they could do. You can't just check everyone's backpack every single day 'just in case'. 
  • Options

If so, other than reporting it to the police not sure what else they could do. You can't just check everyone's backpack every single day 'just in case'. 
    When you live in a country with out of control Gun violence, Why The Hell Not?
  • Options
    seems a lot of deaths were avoided by the school have an active shooter procedure, with door locks etc. Imagine even having to need one of these. I can't get my head round that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They (the school) didn't know he had a gun but they definitely did know he was not in a good place mentally and had a fixation on guns.

You don't have to check every backpack every day but you probably should be checking the backpack of someone with plenty of warning signs.
  • Options
    edited February 7
    When you have a country where a madman can be president from behind bars, advocating that guns are not the problem but the person holding it,..then the country is lost...
  • Options
    edited February 7
    thenewbie said:

They (the school) didn't know he had a gun but they definitely did know he was not in a good place mentally and had a fixation on guns.

You don't have to check every backpack every day but you probably should be checking the backpack of someone with plenty of warning signs.
    I would suggest forced privacy invasion of children with mental health concerns would just lead to escalation. 

If they were already checking his backpack every day before entering school, he would've just walked in with the gun and shot them on entry. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I would suggest forced privacy invasion of children with mental health concerns would just lead to escalation. 

If they were already checking his backpack every day before entering school, he would've just walked in with the gun and shot them on entry. 
    I'm not saying that he should be checked every day necessarily. But if the school had enough evidence/concerns that they specifically called the parents in (which is what did happen) but then just sent him on his way it seems a bit negligent to me.

Not that the parents don't have MORE culpability as the ones who provided the gun but the school apparently having very strong fears of an incident then doing nothing to prevent it is not a good look.
  • Options
    I thought the job of a teacher was to be involved in education not security,
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I respect people's desire for minimal government and think it's one of the right's strong principles, but some regulation in society is needed. A free market for guns is obviously absurd.

I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago and was chatting to a very friendly but odd fella about hunting at a local watering hole. The more he drank the more volatile he got, and I did make a point of avoiding him out of fear of upsetting him. I knew he had a truck outside and would almost certainly have a gun. It's not outside the phantoms of possibility that he could have just shot me. Hundreds of people get shot every week out there. Crazy but that's Texas.
    Anyone promoting ‘minimal government’ is really promoting low taxes, and low taxes mainly benefit the better off and lead to poor services (health & education in particular) and decaying infrastructure. 
    It’s another discredited policy, like ‘trickle down economics’. People are beginning to see through both. 
    Reduce taxes for the rich and they mainly squirrel the extra money away so the tax man can’t get it. (This is why debt increased by $7.8 trillion after Trump’s tax cut  bonanza). 
    Give tax cuts to the less well off (or increase tax thresholds and/or benefits) and that money will immediately circulate through the economy, as people will buy things they actually need, or want but couldn’t afford. 
    The reason the Tories are obsessed by the culture wars is that they know their economic policies over the last 14 years have largely failed (and national debt increased from £1 trillion to £2.6 trillion since 2010 despite austerity), so they need to change the subject to immigration, LGBT rights, trans issues and attacks on ‘the woke’. 
    Although Liz Truss is still banging on about tax cuts and the wokerati to be fair. It’s all thoroughly entertaining. 
    I want to bring up something that I think is noteworthy. Unlike in the UK, in the US, "Conservative" does not strictly mean "small Government, no taxes, no regulation, Government stays out of your life." It means that for certain things. So for example, the funding of the Military is very popular amongst Conservatives here, but they want small Government to apply to things like social safety net programs (including schools). 

I don't want to turn this into a HoC thread. If you ever saw me post there you can imagine what I think about this. But I wanted to bring up that here things aren't quite as ideologically...pure? consistent? I don't know the word, as they are in other places.