Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footballer jailed for on-pitch thuggery

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34409824

"PC Louise Spencer, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "This injury has had a catastrophic effect on the victim's life, meaning he has been unable to work or support his young family."

Now, GMP, where were you when Roy Keene was a player.....

Comments

• Options
    I'm surprised it took this long......
  • Options
    Or when Kevin Muscat said in an interview that he was going to break Scowcroft's leg in the following week's East Anglia derby and then in the match did break his leg. Hard to deny it was assault when you've already said you're going to do it, can't really claim it was just a sporting incident.

And you're right about Keane, should have been done for the assault on Alfe Inge Haarland. Shearer too for the "tackle" on Lennon, though according to the FA there wasn't even a footballing case to answer.
  • Options
    Seems sensible. I guess it's more problematic in a professional context
  • Options
    The perpetrator should now be sued by the victim for every penny he's got .. an act of thuggery has caused a great deal of hardship ..be warned amateur sportsmen .. there are a few psychos out there looking to get their rocks off
  • Options

Or when Kevin Muscat said in an interview that he was going to break Scowcroft's leg in the following week's East Anglia derby and then in the match did break his leg. Hard to deny it was assault when you've already said you're going to do it, can't really claim it was just a sporting incident.

And you're right about Keane, should have been done for the assault on Alfe Inge Haarland. Shearer too for the "tackle" on Lennon, though according to the FA there wasn't even a footballing case to answer.

Ahh the hard man, joke of a bloke.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Ahh the hard man, joke of a bloke.
    yup
  • Options
    When I played football, over a 30 year period –2 people set out to break my leg. Fortunately both efforts failed, but I don’t forget them and for me players at any level who act in this way should never play football again. I get angry when I think about those 2 pathetic losers. It is a sport not an excuse for psychopaths. That goes, even more so, who are setting out to effectively destroy a fellow professional’s career. I lost every ounce of the considerable respect I had for Roy Keane after he admitted his act and I think it is obscene football allows him to have a career in it. The standards are, and always have been too low.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

When I played football, over a 30 year period –2 people set out to break my leg. Fortunately both efforts failed, but I don’t forget them and for me players at any level who act in this way should never play football again. I get angry when I think about those 2 pathetic losers. It is a sport not an excuse for psychopaths. That goes, even more so, who are setting out to effectively destroy a fellow professional’s career. I lost every ounce of the considerable respect I had for Roy Keane after he admitted his act and I think it is obscene football allows him to have a career in it. The standards are, and always have been too low.

Fully agree with you, football as much as we all love it can always be a sport for nutters to vent their frustration, especially at amateur level.
    Anyone who's played a proper 11-a-side game would of seen some sort of flair up, it's almost inevitable.
    This isn't helped when you see social media such as the lad bible, sunday league shouts etc, glorifying horror tackles to audiences of thousands.

Back to the initial post- hope that horrible **** , kerr get's what's coming to him behind bars.

Wan-kerr......
  • Options
    Strangely my company team had a total nutter playing for them called Kerr. Kamikaze Kerr to give him his full title.
  • Options
    Don't know how, but I survived playing 4 years playing in the Doncaster Sunday league. It was 20 years ago but got some vivid 'memories'. I was once punched on the back of my head by a lout who took exception to my late tackle. I had walked away from the incident and he followed me 20 yards or so to assault me. He was sent off. The trouble continued after the game and I actually feared for my safety.
    The problem tended to be the lack of authority referees had. Mind you, now watching my son play on Sundays, you get the parents and coaches joining in too. It gets embarrassing to the extent I had words with the team manager at how his abuse at the ref was rubbing off on the boys. Sometimes wish my son was better at rugby. Far more civilised. The FAs respect campaign is a proper joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    To be fair, it varies from league to league. My son plays in Herts and they are very tough on this sort of thing and parents are very well behaved and parent incidents are rare and always acted on. I have seen other leagues where it is terrible. The worst being an anglo- greek boys league match, to be fair a few years back- which made me sick to the stomach with parents screaming at their kids to put other kids (10 year olds) in hospital.

Going back to when I played, we had a really nice bloke playing for us, who the minute a game started became a total nutter. He was quickly kicked out despite being a decent player. But I couldn't get how he was only like it playing football - most of the nutters are pretty sad individuals off the pitch also but has anybody else seen this sort of thing before!!! I still can't make sense of it.
  • Options
    Pleased for your son Muttley. He has more chance to develop all the other skills and attitudes you gain from team sport. My son and his mates have umpteen 'coaches' on the sideline all shouting instructions at them. But he's been in the team since it started 8 years ago and most of the team go to school with him, so there's no way I'd prise him away. I spend most of the time looking forward to the cricket season.
  • Options
    Still got a stud mark on my knee cap from a tackle made over 5 years ago (maybe as many as 10). Just before the chap did it he told me he was going to break my leg. Fortunately for me I seem to have pretty tough bones and been lucky injury wise. Also fortunately for me, as his stud crashed into my knee I was lifting the ball over their keeper to score. So I rolled over, jumped up, and with blood appearing on my knee, laughed in his face... Didn't seem to put him in any better mood!

On the flip side, I played a cup final where one of the opposition absolutely destroyed his leg. He was self-employed and threatened to sue our player. Fortunately as a final, we had videoed the entire game and when played back it was clear it was in fact their player who had come in late, hard and high but injured himself in the process.

You can get insurance against injuries and if you are self employed and playing amateur footy you are mad if you don't go for this option.