Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC 3 and 4

13»

Comments

• Options
    IA said:
    I can honestly say I don't think I have ever watched a single programme on BBC3 or 4
    Then you have missed all the best police dramas, and the best political drama, made in the last 10 years. But they may not be your thing. Honestly, there is no drama I've enjoyed more on TV than them, although Peaky Blinders would be in there. And look how the commercial rivals responded. Sky made a pale ripoff of The Bridge, and C4 bought a French police drama which mainly had the striking Northern coast scenery going for it. You could argue that they could move that stuff over to BBC2 but then the subtitles issue comes up. In the 80s BBC2 used to show loads of great subtitled European films but somebody - presumably the Daily Mail - decided that it was a threat to our national sovereignty, making the great British public read subtitles on the BBC. Or something like that.
    Not a film but BBC4 ran the excellent Inspector Montalbano and The Young Montalbano detective series in Italian with subtitles, so they haven't gone entirely.
    From his description, Prague seemed to be talking about The Bridge, The Killing, Wallander, Les Engrenages and Borgen, all of which were in their original languages and subtitled on BBC4, and many of them were part-funded by the BBC. But such series would not appear on BBC2, never mind BBC1, any more. I enjoyed Inspector Montalbano - it was more like a collection of films than a TV series. To be honest, I mostly enjoyed the stupid little jokes and seeing the nice sunny Sicilian weather.
    I've been watching Montalbano to try and help my son in his Italian lessons (kind of an additional GCSE that's been let down a bit in lockdown). I tried watching it years ago (late father-in-law was a fan) but never got it. Having watched from the start it's been really good. And it's helping with the Italian as well, even if all I can say is "Si commissario". 

• Options
    The great thing about quiz shows is you can repeat them in a loop and people will have forgotten them within a few months. Take out the more memorable ones, where a contestant says they are a nudist etc..., as these will be remembered.
    Or where the contestant says they want a jazz home studio.

On topic, I'm glad BBC Three is coming back as a channel. I think linear channels still have their place and it has felt like the BBC offers very little for young people since the closure of BBC Three as a linear offering.
  • Options
    Genuinely surprised to hear that BBC3 is coming back. The BBC have made huge cuts over the last few years. Lots of redundancies in regional radio, lots of middle management being moved on. 

My personal opinion on the BBC is it is predominantly a bag of shite, mostly ran by shitsters.
    However, occasionally they produce some superb TV and their website is a handy tool.
  • Options
    Plus their Radio is second to none.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Really love some of the music shows on 4.
    PopIcon said:
    Genuinely surprised to hear that BBC3 is coming back. The BBC have made huge cuts over the last few years. Lots of redundancies in regional radio, lots of middle management being moved on. 

My personal opinion on the BBC is it is predominantly a bag of shite, mostly ran by shitsters.
    However, occasionally they produce some superb TV and their website is a handy tool.
    Plus their Radio is second to none.
    PWR - is this the Life of Brian thread ?
  • Options
    Love BBC4, especially the foreign drama and music. Never watched anything on 3.
  • Options
    I like the BBC4 music on a Friday night but the programmes get repeated a fair bit.