Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Madrid / Stag

After plumping for Madrid (based on lots of recommendations) as my stag destination, can anyone advise the best area to stay in the City and if anyone wants to go one step further, based on experience, an actual hotel or appartments would not go amiss either.

We'll number between 12-18 and will be there Fri-Mon (in March) and as is standard will be looking for somewhere afforable and in a decent loaction for the main nightlife, which i believe is broken down into several areas of the City.

Obviously any further suggestions or advice on top of the above will be greatly appreciated, inc the best way to source legit, value for money Real tickets.

I believe i'm right in thinking someone who posts on here is from/or lives in Madrid, so their advice in particular would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• I've been 3 times. Stayed near Plaza de Espana first time, last time was near Lavapies. Both decent, Lavapies probably a bit closer to nightlife. Plenty of little bars and restaurants in the area. Tbh though the city is fairly small, the metro is great for getting around and cabs are relatively cheap so wherever you stay it won't matter too much.

When I went to watch Real we just bought through their website, picked the tickets up from the box office just before the match. Not that cheap though, we were in the top corner and it was about 40 euros each. Last time we also went to watch Castilla (the B team) managed by Zidane, that was really cheap and a nice little ground although it is quite a distance out of the city centre.
  • Cheers Colthe3rd.

I will have a look but can you pick them up that eaisly when you want between 10-20 tickets? 40 euros would not be too bad tbf.
  • Madrid is easy to get around, via walking, bus or tube. I've stayed here a couple of times -

http://www.hotelsantandermadrid.com/

- and it's quite cheap, central, and has good local bars. If there are 12-18 of you in March, they may well do a deal if you ask nicely?

Have also stayed here -

http://www.hotelpetitpalacearenal.com/

- but it's a bit pricier.

You shouldn't have any problems getting tickets at the Bernabeu ticket office - just get there early (around lunchtime) on the day of the game and they will be on sale.
  • Cheers Colthe3rd.

I will have a look but can you pick them up that eaisly when you want between 10-20 tickets? 40 euros would not be too bad tbf.

Not sure, I only bought 3 and was literally a case of walking up to ticket window, handing over my confirmation number and they gave me the tickets. Perhaps with that number there might be a limit to what you can buy, might be classed as a group booking. Best just to check their website, I think it's in English.
  • http://www.hostaljemasaca-palma61.com/en/hostal-barato-madrid/

I stayed here a few years ago. Was reasonable price and very nice and clean, decent location about 10/15 min walk down to Plaza Mayor the main square.
  • Cheers all - i'll take a look at some of the places.
  • I live in Madrid and can give you lots of tips. Will write more tomorrow.

You will have a very very good time here!
  • Thank you - I look forward to reading what you have to say CM.
  • edited September 2015
    March is a great place to be here; it should be getting nice and warm here in Spring by then and you will enjoy walking around the city and having beers on outside terraces.

We don't really get many British stag weekends here (although there are quite a lot of Spanish ones) so, depending on what kind of things you want to do, it would be useful if at least someone in your group has a bit of Spanish. Not many people here speak English, unlike Barcelona which is a lot more 'European'.

The advantage of that though is Madrid is a very authentic Spanish place, especially if you get away from the tourist trap/Irish bars between Sol and Santa Ana. Aim for Cava Baja street, south of Plaza Mayor for a great bar and tapa crawl. The street has dozens of great bars and probably the best atmosphere in the city at night.

Another great area to be out is Malasaña, just north of Gran Via, which has an amazing range of bars and clubs and is the more hipster/student area.

As for sights - the Retiro Park, the Royal Palace and the three big art museum are the obvious ones, but to be honest the main attraction is being out and about in the city itself. The streetlife and nightlife is on another level and the people here have a fantastic attitude towards life which is infectious. Will write more tomorrow about Real Madrid tickets...
  • Calle Cava Baja is cool; was sat in a restaurant down there one night and it all kicked off outside; riot police, plastic bullets, the lot!
  • Sponsored links:

• @CharltonMadrid whats its like in February? Reading thread with interest as I'm looking for a stag do destination early next year.
  • There is a huge club fairly close to the main train station. The name of the club escapes me but it was huge and a good night out.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

@CharltonMadrid whats its like in February? Reading thread with interest as I'm looking for a stag do destination early next year.

I went this February for the Atletico Real game. We had hats, gloves and scarves at the game.
  • colthe3rd said:

JohnBoyUK said:

@CharltonMadrid whats its like in February? Reading thread with interest as I'm looking for a stag do destination early next year.

I went this February for the Atletico Real game. We had hats, gloves and scarves at the game.
    Ah. I remember we went to Barcelona for my previous stag do back in 2007 and it felt very cold the night we went to the Nou Camp. Thought it would be a bit warmer than that. Oh well. May as well stay in London lol.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

colthe3rd said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Ah. I remember we went to Barcelona for my previous stag do back in 2007 and it felt very cold the night we went to the Nou Camp. Thought it would be a bit warmer than that. Oh well. May as well stay in London lol.
    Probably slightly warmer than London though. I'd always recommend anyone to go there at any time though, fantastic city and one of my favourites.
  • It's a cracking city. We have only ever been in August and it gets incredibly hot. And, a lot of places close down for August, as the Madristas head to the coast.
  • Pretty cold here in February but hardly ever rains. Usually blue sky and sunny. Best times are between March and June. July and August are insufferably hot - I don't think I slept properly for about two months during summer as it hardly dropped under 30 degrees at night.
  • Pretty cold here in February but hardly ever rains. Usually blue sky and sunny. Best times are between March and June. July and August are insufferably hot - I don't think I slept properly for about two months during summer as it hardly dropped under 30 degrees at night.

No A/C? I was travelling about Andalusia earlier this year and had the best week of sleep I've had in ages just cos pretty much everywhere I stayed had blackout blinds and A/C so no light and proper cool and comfortable temperatures. I'm an awful sleeper at home!
  • A/C not allowed on in my apartment block after midnight (noise) plus pretty expensive. Have various fans on all night during summer though!
  • Thanks for your write up CM and I look forward to the bit on Real tickets.

Having been to many of the obvious stag destinations I'm confident I've madras decent choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Getting Real Madrid tickets shouldn't be too difficult, unless they are playing Barcelona or Atletico that weekend. The question is always whether to get them through an unofficial agency far in advance, before the day and time are confirmed, or wait until two/three weeks before when the game is actually confirmed and get them through the club website.

Do you know if they are at home that weekend? If not I would recommend going to watch Atletico, which in my opinion is a much better experience. The atmosphere there is amazing, whereas at Real it is embarrassingly quiet apart from the big games.
  • Cheer guys.

CM - They have Celta Vigo at home that Sunday, so I guess that won't be a problem.

The game in penciled in for Sun pm at the moment - what are the possible times it could be moved to? I think we will do Fri-Mon to cover any eventuality.

So you think I could wait till the game has been moved (if so) and then order 10-15 tickets online through the club to pick up out there?

Cheers.
  • Sunday 8 pm is the generic time for all games before the day and time are officially confirmed. Real hardly ever play on Fridays or Mondays so it should be sometime between Saturday at 4 and Sunday at 10.

If any of those times suit, you could get the tickets through an unofficial site. If you wanted to see how it fits in with the rest of your plans you'd be better to wait till it is confirmed on the club website. Don't reckon you'll have many problems getting tickets either way.

The system for football here is pretty strange, like a lot of things!
  • edited March 2016
    @CharltonMadrid, what's the weather like out there at the moment? 15 of us heading out tomorrow for 3 nights. Is it worth packing shorts for daytime and would you advise on a jacket at night?

Cheers.
  • edited March 2016
  • Yeah I did look at those sort of sites but thought getting the latest from on the ground might be more reliable and accurate.
  • edited March 2016

Yeah I did look at those sort of sites but thought getting the latest from on the ground might be more reliable and accurate.

You're welcome :smile:

Hopefully you'll be dropping in to Alcorcon with a banner & leaflets ?
  • Pretty warm in the day here but definitely chilly at night and generally the temperature is supposed to drop over the next few days. Don't think it will rain though, so you'll have a great time walking around the city. Have a great time!
  • I wouldn't wear shorts though as you will really stick out!
  • Cheers - thought as much. Looking like it will stay dry. Got ticket for Real Sat afternoon. Alcorcon could be an option at some point although might be hard to get the majority non-Charlton on board.

Thanks all.