Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Clangers Thread (for Eclipses of the Moon and other astronomical stuff)

edited January 2017 in Not Sports Related
Anyone watching?

Comments

• Nope , just an early /late Richard
    Is it orange (ish)
    I know it was as bright and clear as you like before I went to bed early 4 hours a go
  • Not orangish yet. Just getting slightly darker.
  • Ok , I may have a look in a bit
  • Moon Wakering (1 of 1)013857
    Great Wakering, Essex, 1:38:57.
  • Looking red now.
  • Stig said:

Moon Wakering (1 of 1)013857
    Great Wakering, Essex, 1:38:57.

Didn't know you kept chickens Stig.
  • Stig said:

Fascinating sky this evening. The last quarter moon looks beautiful. Above it and to the left is a feint red spot; Mars. Below it and to the right, looking like a very bright star, is actually Venus. Neptune is in the same region too, but you'll need some decent optics to see that.

Well worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

Yep saw it earlier and thought it was just the pole star. Had a look again now and wow how bright is Venus? Can see Mars just as well, Thanks @Stig
  • Stig said:

Fascinating sky this evening. The last quarter moon looks beautiful. Above it and to the left is a feint red spot; Mars. Below it and to the right, looking like a very bright star, is actually Venus. Neptune is in the same region too, but you'll need some decent optics to see that.

you've got too much ambient light, Mars looks quite bright from Ruislip. it looks cool with the 3 of them in a line and all bright
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the heads up. Just shown the kids
  • Stig said:

Nice one stig - fascinating stuff.
  • Nice heads up :+1:
  • Is Jupiter the Christmas star?
  • McBobbin said:

Thanks for the heads up. Just shown the kids

Thanks from me also, looks brilliant from Bexley.
  • Thanks for that. Here in rural Kerry it's very clear. And beautiful.
  • Looks really clear, thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Stig. Looks quite spectacular. Never realised Venus was so bright.
  • Stig said:

I think Rina is right about the ambient light. A couple of things to add to my wish list; a decent telescope and a house miles from anywhere.

I spent new year in Selsey where Patrick Moore used to live and on the nights when there was no fog you could see why- possibly the clearest skies I've seen in this country, wish I was still there tonight as it would be a great place to view from
  • Stig said:

I think Rina is right about the ambient light. A couple of things to add to my wish list; a decent telescope and a house miles from anywhere.

Venus:

Venus (1 of 1)

The Moon:

Moon (1 of 1)

Mars:

Mars (1 of 1)

We've recently moved to the middle of nowhere in Kent, and the difference in light pollution from New Eltham is unbelievable.

The Moon, Venus and Mars are all bright as a button tonight.

• There's a dark sky area in Kerry. The difference is astounding to be in an area that has no ambient lighting for miles around.
    An ordinary cloudless evening is just mindblowing with so many stars to see.
  • Beautiful again. This Autumn / Winter, Venus has looked incredibly bright. No idea about the astronomical reasons but stunning on these clear sharp nights.
  • I remember being at friends just outside of Castlemaine in Victoria a few years back and the Sky at night was astounding to the naked eye. Makes such a difference with no light pollution.
  • edited January 2017
    Would really recommend one of the planetarium talks at Greenwich observatory - they highlight some of the key constellations and how they sit with others. You also get to look through the big scope - when we went Jupiter was visible inc four of its moons. Usually on around Feb/March.

Where it comes to determining if it's a bright star or planet you can see one rule of thumb is stars twinkle whereas planets dont
  • edited January 2017
    Venus appears so brightly because its dense atmosphere and thick clouds reflect 70% of the sunlight. What with that and it being the closest planet to earth it pretty much always gives a bright, dazzling display.

(PS: The whole astronomy thing really fascinates me and is a bit of a guilty pleasure, or just escapism? I am sure that many of you have it already, but the free Mobius Sky Map app is a great bit of kit for learning about the nightsky and reading it 'live' so to speak. Just little things like the light from the closest star outside of our solar system takes 4 years to reach us intrigues me! So, as a minimum, when you look at the stars at night, that light has taken 10s, 100s, 1000s of years to come into view! And that's with that light travelling at 186,000 miles per second!!).
  • We went up the Atlas mountains a few years ago. No light pollution at all. The night sky was mindblowing.

As long as they aren't behind the sun, you get really good views of Venus and Mercury during an eclipse. There's one in August in the US this summer, I still can't decide whether to go or not.