Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW (Old) ARTICLE: Pardew; A Revisit to his Charlton Failure

2»

Comments

• At a Q&A with Garry Nelson once, he seemed to imply that Pards as a player was a tad full himself.

He hinted at that in Left Foot Forward too. Doesn't sound like Pardew was popular in the dressing room.

Ask Carl Fletcher what he thinks of Pardew.
  • Based on the example of ex players becoming managers, Curbs (initially with the help of Steve Gritt) was rightly a success. and Pardew a failure. Chris Powell on the same basis is rightly perceived a success. Since Powell, Duchatelet has gone with various foreign managers who have had no previous experience of English football. Luzon appears the best, but he lacks the required knowledge of English football. Does he understand how to deal with opponent's tactics and how to nullify their key players (eg Rhodes of Blackburn)? Luzon's philosophy of "3 points from every game" while positive, is blatantly naïve if you have no effective game plan as recent results have shown. How long can he last? Oh, and is Luzon talking to Jackson? Think not. Jackson is a leader and a captain - unfortunately he's at the wrong end of his career - but he can still do a captain's job if only for 45minutes. I admire Solly, but he's no captain. Even with Jackson pulling out all stops, we will still struggle unless the players can take responsibility and raise their game - and that may not be enough, but it will be appreciated by us fans!. Luzon will scream and wail, but is he on more influential than we are!?
  • Any chance of a paragraph ?

I was lost there.as you went off on an angle.

Can we get back to telling tales on big nose?
  • The thing is Pardew was virtually appointed and sacked by the Charlton fans it seems. We were calling for him to be appointed during that sad night against Wycombe. Then a few days later on Christmas Eve evening he had been appointed. And that match v Fulham with the mystry handball it was like the Messiah had arrived and got a great reception. Results did improve and the gap between us and 17th was smaller than it would have been. But we all thought he could get us back. But struggles against teams near the bottom in that first season down and despite two wins in the first 3 games in the second season down results and performances were not what was wanted and as time grew more and more fans grew against him. He was then sacked after another heavy home defeat where fans called for him to be sacked. Three weeks before fans had called for his head. But surprisingly just a week before he left I heard some of fans at Birmingham during the time we were ahead singing "Super Al". But in the end he left. So he wasn't the messiah in the end, he was a very naughty boy.
  • An absolute charlatan of the highest order. Please please please charlton put this bell back in his place tonight
  • edited September 2015
    So why when Bent was injured did he buy that defender (sorry forgot his name) turned out decent but didnt play much til following season if memory serves? however we needed a goalscorer
  • Great article and sums up very well of what went on.

Paolo Monteiro, Martin Christensen, Dean Sinclair and Dorian Smith still give me nightmares.

On the note of Dorian Smith, how his transfer never got picked up on by any governing bodies baffles me.

Read this article, dodgy doesn't cut it!

http://www.charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=102187

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/metropolitanpolicefc/teams/96393/player/dorian-smith-1019129/20409