Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top Rugby official wants to ref a Football match

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34251778

He won't be any worse than that clown we had on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    Someone is an attention junky.
  • Options
    I think there are still tickets available for the Rugby world cup....
  • Options
    Speaking to the Radio Times, Owens said that if he took charge of a football match "I'm afraid they'd be down to five-a-side before half-time".
    I'd absolutely love to see that.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Speaking to the Radio Times, Owens said that if he took charge of a football match "I'm afraid they'd be down to five-a-side before half-time".

It wouldnt though would it, game abandoned if one team goes down to 7.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

He just wants to referee a sport that that has some skill.
    Always makes me laugh when rugger buggers give it the big un about lack of discipline in football, when the reality is that in rugby the snide shit that goes on in the scums and rucks and also blind side punching etc is far worse.
    Shit sport for fat blokes.

This a 100 times

Article is the usual "Rugger is so much better than Football" nonsense.

Suppose we'll have a lot of this now the Rugby small part of the World and have to play at football grounds Cup is upon us. ABE
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Rizzo said:

Sums up the rugger bugger.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Rizzo said:

The point being of course that a rugby official would not tolerate the sort of juvenile shit that football players routinely pull. How is that, in any way, a bad thing?
  • Options
    Refereeing football is much harder than rugby I'd have thought, in rugby the free kicks and penalties tend to happen when play is hard fought in a particular part of the pitch, whereas in football they often arise from a quick breakaway. That 50 yard pass setting up an attack means an awful lot of running for the referee to catch up, whereas when a rugby player boots the ball down the field, it's a purely defensive action, there's no chance of that leading to a chance to score.

The fact that there is so much more scoring in rugby also makes each score less important, and less likely to cause argument. If you lose a football match 1-0 due to a dodgy penalty you're furious, if you lose a rugby match 30-28 due to a dodgy penalty when the score was 7-3 at the time, it's nowhere near as important
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

Rizzo said:

The point being of course that a rugby official would not tolerate the sort of juvenile shit that football players routinely pull. How is that, in any way, a bad thing?

because he would be refereeing a football match using rugby rules, although that would make the tackling a lot more interesting!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think part of the reason that in rugby there is less arguing with the ref and general aggravation, is because the players have always played rugby with a ref involved. Whilst with football, everyone just played down the park or without a ref all the time, so you have to argue for every decision anyway. At least that's my theory...
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Also here is Nigel Owens at his best:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoBNFOxlQM
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Always makes me laugh when rugger buggers give it the big un about lack of discipline in football, when the reality is that in rugby the snide shit that goes on in the scums and rucks and also blind side punching etc is far worse.

Or a game of catch for fat joggers.
  • Options
    To be fair, rugby isn't really for fat blokes. It's for 16 stone men who can do 100 metres in 12 seconds and down a pint of vomit out of a gym sock
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

Rizzo said:

because he would be refereeing a football match using rugby rules, although that would make the tackling a lot more interesting!

I think the rules of football pretty much already cover most of the crap that players get away with. It's just down to the officials to enforce the rules rather than let them slide. Unsporting behaviour, dissent by word or action, persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game, delaying the restart of play. All cautionable offences under the rules of football. All frequently abused by players and ignored or enforced only sporadically by officials. Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures is a red card offence and we can all see and hear that it's regularly broken in every game that's played but how often do you see a player sent off for it?
  • Options

Greenie said:

This a 100 times

Article is the usual "Rugger is so much better than Football" nonsense.

Suppose we'll have a lot of this now the Rugby small part of the World and have to play at football grounds Cup is upon us. ABE
    Either hate it, or take sides. ABE indeed Tsk... Plastic... :wink:

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

To be fair, rugby isn't really for fat blokes. It's for 16 stone men who can do 100 metres in 12 seconds and down a pint of vomit out of a gym sock

In my day it was 'dirty' gym socks - the game is way too soft now!
  • Options
    foxjam said:

I think part of the reason that in rugby there is less arguing with the ref and general aggravation, is because the players have always played rugby with a ref involved. Whilst with football, everyone just played down the park or without a ref all the time, so you have to argue for every decision anyway. At least that's my theory...

Like it, I shall use this one.
  • Options
    I'm not strictly ABE...I'm supporting it raining and everyone getting sad and deciding to go inside and play Pictionary instead
  • Options

Refereeing football is much harder than rugby I'd have thought, in rugby the free kicks and penalties tend to happen when play is hard fought in a particular part of the pitch, whereas in football they often arise from a quick breakaway. That 50 yard pass setting up an attack means an awful lot of running for the referee to catch up, whereas when a rugby player boots the ball down the field, it's a purely defensive action, there's no chance of that leading to a chance to score.

The fact that there is so much more scoring in rugby also makes each score less important, and less likely to cause argument. If you lose a football match 1-0 due to a dodgy penalty you're furious, if you lose a rugby match 30-28 due to a dodgy penalty when the score was 7-3 at the time, it's nowhere near as important

Very much the discussion I was having just the other day (with a fellow sports fan who loves both rugby and football). The second part of your post is also food for thought KandF...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This sounds like something he's bragging about down the pub "oh yeah id just send em all off hahaha"... ok mate...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Actually it's for public schoolboys.
  • Options
    Hate people comparing the morales of the two sports.

They are different sports and have different issues, and different plus points, associated with both of them.

That being said, Nigel Owen's is well renowned for how he handles players on the pitch and how he garners the respect of the players with words. If anyone is interested enough, have a look at the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsSoR-8e24M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVzqcuLgkw

I'm not saying Owen's is the one to command it, but one thing that would improve football, IMO, is if the players were to pay more respect to the referee.
  • Options
    How comes I hate it then?

(tbf, in Wales and NZ everyone plays it, but they're both weird and in need of a niche sport to be good at)

(also I'm probably revelling a bit too much in being CL's resident posho. but f**k me, I'm nothing - have you heard any Zafar Ansari interviews? the kid's pure cut glass)
  • Options
    Nigel Owens is the Graham Poll of Rugby.

The antithesis of the old maxim that you don't notice a decent referee in either sport.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

(tbf, in Wales and NZ everyone plays it, but they're both weird and in need of a niche sport to be good at)

(also I'm probably revelling a bit too much in being CL's resident posho. but f**k me, I'm nothing - have you heard any Zafar Ansari interviews? the kid's pure cut glass)

Who appointed you "CL's resident posho" ?

It's a funny thing, but the poshest people I've ever met have no real idea that they're posh. See also people who think they're "crazy", "funny" or "mad" are normally nothing of the sort - the real nutters have no idea !
  • Options
    Think people are missing the point of the article... Don't think Owens is taking a swipe at football as a whole but rather the poor discipline that the players have with regards to respecting the referee. In every other sport the official is respected and any player that doesn't adhere either gets sent off or fined. TBH football would be better off if players had a little more respect for the referee and it would be interesting to see a game where the refs were strict with disrespectful behaviour.

However I do understand the argument that in football a bad decision by the ref can impact the game more so there is a bit more angst on the players side.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Except it would be one team down to six and then match abandoned.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It's either that or sheep bothering.