Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This is England C4 9pm

New series just started.

Comments

• Had to 'record' it as I didn't see then last two of the last series and need to catch up first.
  • What were those two metal fans meant to be?
  • turned off after 20 mins! not for me
  • Ha ha socerama tray
  • What a load of crap
  • Loved all the past series, but last night was totally rubbish, what the hell was it about, no storyline poor acting, shocking viewing.

Shocked i am saying that as i have enjoyed everything before it.

Will give it one more chance to see if it improves.
  • edited September 2015
    The last series, 88, was pretty poor whereas 86 was excellent.

What were those two metal fans meant to be?

Fans of the Damned?
  • I haven't watched since the rape scene in the second one I think, thought it was too much too graphic and ruined what was a fantastic programme, Shame as I like all of the cast as actors
  • I thought it was alright, first one is there to say who is still about.

Shaun and his mum cracked me up.
  • Thought it was pretty poor to be honest, maybe because I was massively looking forward to it.

Seemed to deliberately focus in every time on the tv shows or cars to make sure you knew which era you were in. Kind of got that by the title of the thing.

Agree with Leftbehind, didn't seem to be any storyline at all.

• Sponsored links:

• I know a lot of it is meant to be improvised, that's the nature of the programme, but there was so much that I thought they were just making it up as they went along with no guidelines at all. Too much talking at the same time, repetition of what they are trying to say etc. Quite cringey and difficult to watch at times. Even at the start when they were talking about Coffee Whip and Custard and he was begging for food I thought it was weak.

There were some classic hilarious bits though (obviously scripted) that made me enjoy it enough to carry on watching.

The 2 metal fans cracked me up. God knows what/who they were meant to be, but they were funny regardless.

• The 2 metal fans cracked me up. God knows what/who they were meant to be, but they were funny regardless.

I just didn't get who they were meant to be. You have all the "tribes" but what were these guys? Metal t-shirts with soul boy-ish hair cuts and god knows what clothes. Not casuals so what were they?

Maybe I was too old in 90 or it was a northern thing
  • Saw some of the cast on Alan Carr show on Friday and they said first episode is bit more fun than other episodes and is setting the scene.

Have never watched the show though.

• The 2 metal fans cracked me up. God knows what/who they were meant to be, but they were funny regardless.

I just didn't get who they were meant to be. You have all the "tribes" but what were these guys? Metal t-shirts with soul boy-ish hair cuts and god knows what clothes. Not casuals so what were they?

Maybe I was too old in 90 or it was a northern thing
    I agree, a bit weird.

I have to say, I agree with all the comments. Not a very good start to the series.
  • Not sure what people were expecting from the first episode. As with the others it was just set up.

I think the improvisation and the way conversation flows makes it authentic. It makes you realise how ridiculously polished and unrealistic most scripted TV is.
  • So something that's always bugged me about the This is England series' - not sure if it bothers anyone else - they're all supposed to be a group of mates that have grown up in the same city yet they all seem to have completely different accents.

Acting is pretty terrible, I assume Stephen Graham won't be back for this series.
  • I too turned it off after ten mins.
  • I didn't think it was that bad to be honest. Not brilliant but none too shabby
  • As I pluck the splinters out of my arse
  • really improved since the first episode, i was a bit skeptical after it but the last two episodes have been brilliant imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved all the past series, but last night was totally rubbish, what the hell was it about, no storyline poor acting, shocking viewing.

Shocked i am saying that as i have enjoyed everything before it.

Will give it one more chance to see if it improves.

Agree with this.
  • I can't stand the long dialogues, that said I've watched every episode.
    se9addick said:

Acting is pretty terrible, I assume Stephen Graham won't be back for this series.

He's back!
  • This week's was the best so far & it's improving week by week, but overall it's not as good.
  • Its improved a bit but like Covered said it's not great, was i hearing right the last one is on Sunday ?
  • Its improved a bit but like Covered said it's not great, was i hearing right the last one is on Sunday ?

Yes. 4 episodes only.
  • Enjoyed the last one. The way the scenes with Milky and Combo played out alongside the more humorous wedding planning scenes was really good IMO.
  • Enjoyed the last one. The way the scenes with Milky and Combo played out alongside the more humorous wedding planning scenes was really good IMO.

I know, I can't believe they ended up shagging in that car park!
  • 3rd (ecspecially) and 4th episodes much better.

Hadn't they previously met up in an earlier series, or at least one of Combos mates who held back Shaun during the fight?

Hadn't they previously met up in an earlier series, or at least one of Combos mates who held back Shaun during the fight?
    Nope didnt meet up in 1986 or 1988. Combo turned on both his mates during the attack in the film.