Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney & Charlton

Sorry for starting a new thread but Wayne Rooney & Charlton were trending earlier on Twitter, haven't seen anything on Sky Sports but is he linked with us or something?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure he'd want to sign and be Tony Watt's understudy.
  • Options
    Wayne Rooney scoring 50 for England & overtaking Bobby Charlton's 49. All time highest England goalscorer.
  • Options
    I always wanted Lineker to beat Sir Bobby's record but it doesn't seem quite the same with Rooney. I reckon I might have nicked a few goals against San Marino, Isle of Man, Scilly Isles or whatever.
  • Options
    Surely you're glad that the nasally annoying git that is Owen didn't get the record
    Anyone but him
    With the relative success of palarse and that waffling one on BT sport I've watched a lot less football in the last few years
  • Options

Rooney and (Bobby) Charlton
    Terry and Moore
    Tyson and Ali
    Daly and Nicklaus
    Pietersen and Hutton
    Blackpool and London
    Las Vegas and Paris
    Pepsi and Champagne

I could go on..

• Options

Terry and Moore
    Tyson and Ali
    Daly and Nicklaus
    Pietersen and Hutton
    Blackpool and London
    Las Vegas and Paris
    Pepsi and Champagne

I could go on..

One Direction and The Beatles
    The Mighty Boosch and Monty Python
    Parkinson ITV 2000's and Parkinson BBC 1970's

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I always wanted Lineker to beat Sir Bobby's record but it doesn't seem quite the same with Rooney. I reckon I might have nicked a few goals against San Marino, Isle of Man, Scilly Isles or whatever.

I reckon the gulf between the england team of Charltond era and those countries ranked 20/30 etc is bigger than the gulf between today's england team and the current teams ranked 20/30

The 2nd tier of countries these days is a lot higher standard than the 2nd tier in the 60's
  • Options

Terry and Moore
    Tyson and Ali
    Daly and Nicklaus
    Pietersen and Hutton
    Blackpool and London
    Las Vegas and Paris
    Pepsi and Champagne

I could go on..

You forgot Peters and Lee.
  • Options
    He's still on 49 anyway. One of the 2004 goals was an o.g. off the keeper's head. Amazed that one was given to Rooney tbh - categorically not his goal
  • Options
    Leuth said:

He's still on 49 anyway. One of the 2004 goals was an o.g. off the keeper's head. Amazed that one was given to Rooney tbh - categorically not his goal

Well the ball must have been going onto the net so it's not an og.
  • Options

Terry and Moore
    Tyson and Ali
    Daly and Nicklaus
    Pietersen and Hutton
    Blackpool and London
    Las Vegas and Paris
    Pepsi and Champagne

I could go on..

It's Shirley.
  • Options

Over-the-moon Rooney done it by far the greatest striker ever

This could be another whooosh moment but I take it this is a joke?
  • Options
    Rooney is, and has been for years, a world class player, and if numbers are all that counts then he's the best.

But it's more than numbers surely. I would put both Lineker and Charlton ahead of Rooney on ability and bare in mind Charlton wasn't even an out and out striker. I've just read an article on the BBC website comparing Rooney to a number of England strikers from the past and unless I missed it there was no mention of Jimmy Greaves, in my opinion the greatest English striker in my lifetime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not that it matters to the record as you still have to put it in the back of the net, but i would be interested to see how many were penalties for both charlton and rooney
  • Options
    Gary Lineker is the greatest striker this country has produced in my opinion, but this isn't a case of opinion.

Its now a fact that Rooney has scored more goals in an England shirt than any other player and he should be commended for that.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The sad thing is that he could have been 'great'. Injuries robbed him of the explosive pace he had when he first broke into the England team and limited him at the highest level. He's done pretty well considering his setbacks.
  • Options
    I can't believe I've been whooooshed again.
  • Options

Not that it matters to the record as you still have to put it in the back of the net, but i would be interested to see how many were penalties for both charlton and rooney

Six penalties for Rooney, not sure on Bobby Charlton
  • Options

Six penalties for Rooney, not sure on Bobby Charlton
    Charlton scored 3
  • Options
    Just looked it up Bobby Charlton scored 3
  • Options

Rooney 2012-15 as a top level player has been completely over rated in my opinion. His stock is higher simply due to his previous and the fact there is so little top name English competition at the moment.

Not saying he is poor or anything, but his form in recent years, and his history of performance at major championships mean there is a big cloud over him being an 'England great', despite now being the record goal scorer

My thoughts exactly....