Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

calling those lovely CL grammar police

2»

Comments

• Options

I would hardly ever use italics other than in a quote. In a quote such as Luzon said 'I'm pissed' if I could get my phone to italicise the words in the inverted commas I would.

I would only capitalise pre-defined terms or initials. So I might say Charlton Athletic Football Club (CAFC) if people didn't already know.

I hate random capitalisation which my American colleagues seem to like especially in headings.

The Most Important Heading in the World.

Grrrr

Agree with earlier comments though, whatever you decide, be consistent.

I find it odd that I agree with you entirely about when to use capitals. BUT never follow my own rules for my music collection when I like each word in a song title or band name to start with a capital - even the conjunctions. In my view the song titles, etc just look better that way. I wonder why I do that?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I wouldn't say i had a Bad education but when i left Skool, i was still on Janet and John Book 2. With the help of the wonderful Grammar police on CL, i now say, "would've" instead of "Would of". also should've, instead of should of.
    The class of 13 year olds to whom i teach, have reaped the rewards of this improvement.
    Instead of feeling belittled and shamed by the correction; feel honoured
    that this free educational advice is available by Pedo pedants willing to help the less fortunate.

• Options
    Ha - just looked at some of the other headlines.

'man talks entirely in snatch quotes as he thinks he is hard'
  • Options
    Another one for you..... surrounding ownership...

'Its Fred Widdows's problem' ...or is it...'Its Fred Widdows problem' or is it 'it's Fred Widdows problem' etc..
  • Options
    It's (apostrophe signifies abbreviation, not possessive)
    Widdows's - simply add possessive apostrophe in the normal way.

I think
  • Options
    My formal education (many years ago) was basic, to say the least! I therefore have a grammar question.

One hears the word "firstly" so often these days, particularly on TV. Is this correct grammar? I would have thought that as nothing precedes "first", it cannot have a "ly" tagged on the end of the word. For me, with my limited grammatical skills, I would have thought that "first", "secondly", "thirdly" is correct grammar.

Can somebody advise please. Thanks.
  • Options

'Its Fred Widdows's problem' ...or is it...'Its Fred Widdows problem' or is it 'it's Fred Widdows problem' etc..

Widdows'
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

My formal education (many years ago) was basic, to say the least! I therefore have a grammar question.

One hears the word "firstly" so often these days, particularly on TV. Is this correct grammar? I would have thought that as nothing precedes "first", it cannot have a "ly" tagged on the end of the word. For me, with my limited grammatical skills, I would have thought that "first", "secondly", "thirdly" is correct grammar.

both are correct. English grammar isn't either/or, there's often more than 1 correct answer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:

PeterGage said:

both are correct. English grammar isn't either/or, there's often more than 1 correct answer
    You can use firstly, or you can use first. But, stylistically, if you start with firstly, you should proceed with secondly; if you start with first, then go with second, third, etc
  • Options
    Chizz said:

rina said:

PeterGage said:

You can use firstly, or you can use first. But, stylistically, if you start with firstly, you should proceed with secondly; if you start with first, then go with second, third, etc
    Good band.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

rina said:

PeterGage said:

First, thanks rina, and secondly thanks Chizz -:)
  • Options

It's Fred Widdows' problem. If his name was Widdow rather than Widdows then it would be Fred Widdow's problem.
  • Options
    Then why is St James's Park different from that?

(it may just be a vagary of the language, I don't know)
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Then why is St James's Park different from that?

(it may just be a vagary of the language, I don't know)

Because it's full of deluded Geordies.