Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: The Summer Squad Upgrade - Our Top 10 + 1 Observations

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Good analysis, and a high degree of agreement amongst us lifers. The one major disappointment for me in the close season was the, in my view, premature and relatively cheap sale of Joe Gomez (I do believe the £3.5m base price albeit with many add ons). One of the rare absolutely clear statements at the start of the new regime were that we would no longer have to part with our best youngsters so soon and so cheaply - Gomez's sale gave the lie to that. Another season with us, and/or a much bigger up front fee were surely achievable.

Another big plus over last season is Guy Luzon compared to Bob Peeters. I was one of those very pissed off by the way the "search" for BP's replacement was handled but there can be no doubt that Luzon is by far the superior coach, tactician and man-manager. And, importantly for me, a head coach that is looking to win instead of exhibiting a fear driven, defensive, "have what we hold" mindset.
  • Options
    I think the current squad is easily top third championship level. With the addition of 2 or 3 quality loans it will be top 6. If we are in the mix in January then I think RD will consider further investment in the squad.
  • Options
    Yes a very good analysis. I suppose the squad isn't quite so thin if you assume that loaned players can be recalled, at least some of them, but that would like as not only be a marginal gain if things became tricky.
    The thin squad has, as is mentioned, left a route open for younger players to possibly feature. The promotion of younger players has to be managed well mind you, but there are signs that the assimilation of younger players is being managed pretty well at the moment.
    I would far rather put energy and resources into further developing our own than to be caught up in transfer deadline day drama and to make ill thought through signings. I would rather have Kennedy sniffing around the first team than Chris Eagles for example, if such events are well managed what's not to like?
    Transfers are all well and good, but they cost money, and we are already putting money into developing the next crop of decent young footballers here at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    bobcafc7 said:

Reza is out for a month , he should be back a week after the International break and apparently moussa is training soon and watt started training end of last week.
    After the games against QPR and Hull fans were saying this is a team with great potential can see us getting play offs ect but I'm not sure it's because the loss against wolves or we didn't get involved in deadline day people are moaning again, if we sign pennant/a winger and right back cover id say we've got good strength in depth all over the pitch ( personally ).

I am not sure you understand the difference between moaning and debating. People are allowed differences of opinion and to debate perceived weaknesses without being labelled moaners. Having read through the thread, I see a lot of reasoned argument about the strength of our squad. I don't see moaning.

My view FWIW is that we have undoubtedly improved since last season in quality but not numbers. I feel we are 3 players short of a squad capable of lasting the season in the manner in which we have started it and hope these are addressed in the loan window or with non contracted players, but sooner rather than later. RB, LW and creative CM. It will be interesting to see if we do go for it with loans or try to get lucky with injuries which was attempted last year.

My concern is that not only do we have lowish number but also we have players in Henderson, Solly, Watt, Vet, Moussa, Diarra and Ba who have had injury problems in recent seasons I believe. Is this 'injury crisis' we are currently in a blip or the norm. Sometimes players are 'undervalued and available' for a reason.... Much like Wiggins when we sold him.

I get that by having a small squad you allow young lads through which is great if the strategy is to develop and sell but if it is to go for PL then you need to have a strong squad.

Finally, I forget whether it was Murray or KM, but I am sure one of them said in the last year or so that every club thinks they are 2/3 players away from really doing something, and to be fair whichever one it was who said it is almost certainly right!
  • Options
    Squad to challenge for the play offs this year? maybe. Squad ready for the premiership, no.

Am hoping for the play offs this year (fingers crossed) and promotion next when our squad may be good enough to give a good account of themselves at that level.

Maybe I've got a touch of the Mervins?
  • Options
    Lots of mentions of Moussa as a squad player in recent threads, including this one. Is there any sign of a return?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    How many times will this magical first XI of ours without injuries appear
    Not a lot is my view , using the evidence to date but against that we've done more than fine so far

A handful of games in and you'd say that most of the new recruits are looking decent enough, jury is still out on Bergdich , Ceballos and Sarr but this could change and the expected decent ones may not be as good as we expect and the named 3 could be world beaters etc
    I'm not saying don't have opinions but I'm trying to put a more level headed look at things (well my usual pessimist expect the worse slant on it)
    I think the quality is potentially there and the quantity isn't

Will we finish above 9th (our best season since our return) I think we'll be within 3 spaces of that either way .... And we all know where one of them is (well those who can add up and take away do :-)
  • Options
    Good article that AFKA....I'm far from being an expert on matters concerning the squad etc...still think we could do with another 3-4 players to bolster numbers the injuries we have (plus concerns over Igors fitness) are a worry....for now I'm think I'm still being optomistic (though others will obviously disagree) in predicting the same as last season...a 12th place finish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hendo

Solly
    Bauer
    Diarra
    Fox

JBG
    Cousins
    Kashi
    Bergdich

Makienok
    Watt

Subs.
    Pope
    Sarr
    Jackson
    Ba
    Vetokele
    Reza
    Cebbalos

That's without leaving out , KAG , Lennon , moussa , THD , RCC . I like the fact we have so many academy players around our squad personally that's one of the special things about Charlton.

The squads strong , who are you gonna leave out of that squad if everyone is fit and you sign 3/4 players ? Just wondering .
  • Options
    bobcafc7 said:

Hendo

Solly
    Bauer
    Diarra
    Fox

JBG
    Cousins
    Kashi
    Bergdich

Makienok
    Watt

Subs.
    Pope
    Sarr
    Jackson
    Ba
    Vetokele
    Reza
    Cebbalos

That's without leaving out , KAG , Lennon , moussa , THD , RCC . I like the fact we have so many academy players around our squad personally that's one of the special things about Charlton.

The squads strong , who are you gonna leave out of that squad if everyone is fit and you sign 3/4 players ? Just wondering .

the problem is that they are never all fit
  • Options
    A very good analysis @AFKABartram, and it has stirred a very good debate. My main concern is the 'thinness' of the squad and the reliance on the U21's. Whilst many are very good (and I wouldn't want to hinder their growth or development in the game), I fear that when the season marches on we will suffer more injuries and don't have enough experience to give adequate cover for some of the perceived tougher games. If we could add 1 or 2 Prem quality loans (attacking midfielder and a utility defensive player) and sign Pennant if possible, then I would be happy to see where we are at Xmas. If we are in the top 8 as a minimum, I think we could then see if RD wants to push on in January and go for the play-offs/promotion. His actions in 4 months time will be very interesting and will give us all a clue as to his longer-term intentions.
  • Options
    I believe Grapevine has written a great post, full of insight. However there is an aspect of the current regime that bewilders me, and that is exemplified by the signing of LePoint, I still don't know in which Universe that made sense.
  • Options
    "The squads strong , who are you gonna leave out of that squad if everyone is fit and you sign 3/4 players ? Just wondering ."

If the 3/4 players are good enough, any of them.

None of our players are so good that we cannot do better. I admit that we are unlikely to sign that many better players, though.

• Options

bobcafc7 said:

Hendo

Solly
    Bauer
    Diarra
    Fox

JBG
    Cousins
    Kashi
    Bergdich

Makienok
    Watt

Subs.
    Pope
    Sarr
    Jackson
    Ba
    Vetokele
    Reza
    Cebbalos

the problem is that they are never all fit
    That is what I was getting at.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    For me LePont and a couple of the others were sticking plasters to avoid a disaster. It had to be done quickly, and taken as a group they did the job required, well the objective of stabilising the squad was achieved and we remained in the Championship, by that stage that was what mattered. Agree that he does appear to be the odd one out of the bunch though.
  • Options
    I think we are a much better team than last year at this stage.
    the two matches I've seen, QPR and Hull, I think we've dealt with pretty comfortably.

I do think the team has goals in it, which was a definite problem last season.

I do think it's disappointing that we've had our usual dismal charlton transfer deadline day zilch! I don't know why pennant wasn't offered a deal, maybe wages but you're right, that getting more players in is sometimes a lottery and perhaps if any money is available it'll be spent in January if we're in a decent or dangerous position. Roland clearly doesn't do gung ho!

I do think the team has a good nucleus but we need to remain injury free and that's unlikely and that may be were the problem could lay.

I think what I've seen of pope I believe he's done well and surely will only get better as his confidence grows, so it doesn't seem such a concern as it may have done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely the Lepoint transfer only looks ridiculous after the fact? At the time it didn't necessarily look a bad signing, certainly not in another 'universe' - a player that was an out of favour hero at a European club with an ok pedigree.

Easy to paint that transfer as ludicrous after it transpired that he was shit.
  • Options

Surely the Lepoint transfer only looks ridiculous after the fact? At the time it didn't necessarily look a bad signing, certainly not in another 'universe' - a player that was an out of favour hero at a European club with an ok pedigree.

Easy to paint that transfer as ludicrous after it transpired that he was shit.

Yes very easy because it was bizarre even at the time because of his age and that we gave him a two and half year contract but a world cup finalist like Diarra only a few months.

It got more bizarre when he clearly wasn't good enough, was almost immediately dropped and then sold at a substantial lost.

It was the worst of a number of bizarre and costly signings/loans.

It seems, judging this summer's business, that the mistakes of the last 18 have finally been recognised and learnt from but they were still bizarre signings at the time.
  • Options
    I agree that the team has improved but also still have concerns re squad depth - difficult to understand why we still have no proper RB cover, for example, when we know Solly has a knee problem and this is not exactly a difficult /expensive position to fill compared to strikers or even goalies.

I have also been somewhat surprised by the churn in players who signed new contracts under this regime - less so the usual suspects of Nego, Reza, Tucudean, Lepoint but more so those given extended deals: Morrison, Wiggins, Harriott, Piggott and probably one or two others I have forgotten. Suggests more short term / reactionary decisions than a proper long term masterplan, but maybe all part of the learning curve.

Still, enjoying the football so far this year!
  • Options
    Harriott and Pigott signed their deals before RD took over the club. Harriott's especially was well deserved after his first run in the side.

Wiggins I guess was seen as a key player at the time but since then he continued to pick up injuries and Fox showed he could make the step up. Morrison wanted first team football, he was never realistically going to stay as cover.
  • Options
    Thinking back to our promotion teams of 97/98 and 99/00, we were highly dependant on key individuals. Super Clive got the goals one season, while Andy Hunt got them the other. I don't recall there being a great deal of cover for our best players, if Kinsella had been injured or one of those strikers, we probably wouldn't have gone up.

So fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I agree with AKFA's analysis and most of what has been said above. The quality of the squad has certainly improved but we (including Luzon and the board) all know that it falls short in terms of options and cover in a few key positions. That will inevitably catch up with us at some stage.

Some excellent business has been conducted over the summer, including securing the immediate futures of Jordan Cousins and JBG, as well as sourcing some very good new players. All concerned are to be congratulated for that. However, our scope for manoeuvre is bound to be fettered to some extent by the mistakes which were made in the transfer market in the early stages of the new regime and we are having to live with the ongoing consequences of those -notably, having to honour the long term contracts agreed with players like Tucadean, Paryszek and Reza. If we could have shifted one or two of those, there may have been more wriggle room in the budget.

I very much favour the incremental approach to progress but this is becoming increasingly difficult in the teeth of both the grotesque disparity in TV money between the Premier League and the rest and the many millions that several Championship club owners are prepared to gamble to get their noses in the trough. You only have to look at the insanity of the latest window and some of the prices paid for relatively unproven players, all of which underscore the rationale of RD's decision to shop in Europe. The difficulty for us is that if we have a good season - which I expect us to do - but we don't have enough to make the cut, our best players will be very much sought after and it will be extremely difficult to keep the core of the team together. In that event, we shall then have to start again; and so it continues....

Still, things are certainly looking up. Let's hope that we can unearth a gem or two from the loan or free agent market.

Very good piece
  • Options
    Squad is lighter, meaner, keener and younger but that comes with a risk. By losing and not replacing the very fringe players that had been allowed to accrue it means that the "sharp end" of the squad can be of a better quality. Our first 15 are the strongest it's been for some years. Is that enough to push for a playoff position ? Only if we are lucky with injuries and key players not losing form. If we are not lucky then the squad does at this point look thin. I don't doubt that at least in part that will be addressed with a couple of astute loans.

I've said it before but I still think that this season is still one of consolidation and strengthening but not an out and out push for promotion.

If the level of improvement in squad quality is again reproduced next summer even if that means a big sale or two in order to improve the overall strength then I believe we can look at a tilt at the playoffs either next season or the one after without Charlton adding to the madness of spending seen at our rivals.

I'm more than happy with the trend.
  • Options

Squad is lighter, meaner, keener and younger but that comes with a risk. By losing and not replacing the very fringe players that had been allowed to accrue it means that the "sharp end" of the squad can be of a better quality. Our first 15 are the strongest it's been for some years. Is that enough to push for a playoff position ? Only if we are lucky with injuries and key players not losing form. If we are not lucky then the squad does at this point look thin. I don't doubt that at least in part that will be addressed with a couple of astute loans.

I've said it before but I still think that this season is still one of consolidation and strengthening but not an out and out push for promotion.

If the level of improvement in squad quality is again reproduced next summer even if that means a big sale or two in order to improve the overall strength then I believe we can look at a tilt at the playoffs either next season or the one after without Charlton adding to the madness of spending seen at our rivals.

I'm more than happy with the trend.

Your conclusion is theoretically sound, but will we have the Standard Liege network combing Europe for us in future? KM's honest statements to the SLP included the admission that Kashi and Bauer were discovered for us by SL scouts while looking at other players. Who will we rely on it future? Alcorcon and Ujpest scouts?